5 things

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Komponist-Kalle

5 things

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:01 pm

1) Separate MIDI mappings for Clip View Controls for different tracks. It's currently only possible to assign one "global" mapping for all tracks.

2) More parameters mappable in Clip View Controls, such as, for instance, Grain Size and Flux (in Texture mode).

3) Follow (Cmd-F on a Mac) always on via a setting in the Preferences. It's currently always switched off when you click somewhere in a track during playback (in Arrangement view).

4) More than 3 File Browsers.

5) A keyboard shortcut to go to the beginning of a piece in Arrangement view. The Return key seems like a reasonable candidate.Currently, clicking twice on the stop button rewinds to 1.1.1, but it's still necessary to navigate the display to the beginning manually.

If any or several of these pieces of functionality are already implemented, I'd be thrilled to hear about it. :)

EX

Re: 5 things

Post by EX » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:07 pm

+1 for no.5

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Regarding No. 5 above:
This Return key obviously need to be "context sensitive":
When the Arrangement section has focus = stop + rewind (or at least stop on the first press, rewind on the second),
when in Session View = launch clip,
when the browser has focus = open the file,
(plus possibly more ones that I haven't found out about yet).

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:47 pm

A few more :)

6) The Compressor device:
A dB scale reading on the Gain Reduction meter.

7) Keyboard shortcut to activate the browser section, as to make it respond to keyboard commands for file navigation.

8 ) Why different key commands to disable grid snapping (Command key for selection of a region of a clip and also moving it in Arrangement view, but Option key for automation drawing and warp marker moving)?

9) Paste names into save as dialogs. (Ability to paste the content of the clipboard in new folder name fields and filename fields in save and save as dialogs. + select all (Cmd-A) in these text fields.)

10) Allow • in soundfile names. (When dragging in a soundfile which name contains the character "•" Live currently crashes. (This is more of a bug report, I know.))

11) Revert as a menu command.

12) Right and left borders of the overview rectangle NOT the same colour as desktop (for us who like light skins like "Frost".

13) A simple integrated soundfile editor (Find peak, normalize. change gain, fade in - out.).

14) A colour palette that's more Mac standard, which would make it more easily accessible by macro programs such as Quickeys. Would probably also be good to also reach it via the main menu bar.

15) Midi mapping of _selecting_ certain VST:s and AU:s (+ internal instruments and effects) for editing. Currently the computer keyboard needs to be used, or the mouse.

NF

Post by NF » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Komponist-Kalle wrote:1) Separate MIDI mappings for Clip View Controls for different tracks. It's currently only possible to assign one "global" mapping for all tracks.

2) More parameters mappable in Clip View Controls, such as, for instance, Grain Size and Flux (in Texture mode).

3) Follow (Cmd-F on a Mac) always on via a setting in the Preferences. It's currently always switched off when you click somewhere in a track during playback (in Arrangement view).

5) A keyboard shortcut to go to the beginning of a piece in Arrangement view. The Return key seems like a reasonable candidate.Currently, clicking twice on the stop button rewinds to 1.1.1, but it's still necessary to navigate the display to the beginning manually.

If any or several of these pieces of functionality are already implemented, I'd be thrilled to hear about it. :)
for 1) please precise

for 2) this posted a forum member and is amybe a workflow for your problem: http://www.swarmintelligence.net/2010/1 ... -with.html

for 3) trick 17: sign a key of your choise for play and follow song. so you have done it! :wink:

for 4) from my side 3 are enough to run endless through the library. I would say that you should try to organize your stuff more into your live-library. so you have all inside. with a click on the small downsided arrow to library let you jump into your default view.

for 5) follow the signal cursor in the arrange view: use cmd+ arrow key to jump through the clips for every track.

Komponist-Kalle wrote:A few more :)

6) The Compressor device:
A dB scale reading on the Gain Reduction meter.

7) Keyboard shortcut to activate the browser section, as to make it respond to keyboard commands for file navigation.

8 ) Why different key commands to disable grid snapping (Command key for selection of a region of a clip and also moving it in Arrangement view, but Option key for automation drawing and warp marker moving)?

9) Paste names into save as dialogs. (Ability to paste the content of the clipboard in new folder name fields and filename fields in save and save as dialogs. + select all (Cmd-A) in these text fields.)

10) Allow • in soundfile names. (When dragging in a soundfile which name contains the character "•" Live currently crashes. (This is more of a bug report, I know.))

11) Revert as a menu command.

12) Right and left borders of the overview rectangle NOT the same colour as desktop (for us who like light skins like "Frost".

13) A simple integrated soundfile editor (Find peak, normalize. change gain, fade in - out.).

14) A colour palette that's more Mac standard, which would make it more easily accessible by macro programs such as Quickeys. Would probably also be good to also reach it via the main menu bar.

15) Midi mapping of _selecting_ certain VST:s and AU:s (+ internal instruments and effects) for editing. Currently the computer keyboard needs to be used, or the mouse.

hi,
here some answers

for 6) here is your value:

for 7) win: strg+shift+ B ,and for the FX section below: strg+shift+ L
mac may be cmd+shift (or alt) +B/L

navigate with arrow keys

for 8) can´t confirm, pc is both the "alt"-key

for 10) "*" is a joker and means all. e.g. an* means every word that begins with "an" end ends in everything the PONS includes ;-)
for 11) why? the click is done in 0.5s 8)
for 12) just download other skins

for 13) "Find peak" - why? compressor and limiter will help you to handle peaks. otherwise the user should learn to make clean records.
"normalize" - just bounce normalized
"change gain" - use utility tool
"fade in- out" - use fades in arrange window or automate the master or any channel you want

for 14) and what you tell the PC´s? the colors are nice indeed

for 15) please precise

So this is my opinion. most problems are solved by playing around a bit.

greetz
The cool thing about techno still, comparing it to most jazz is the improvisation coupled with raw energy.

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:27 am

Thank you very much for your detailed reply! :)

It's very good news if most of the functionality I'm looking for is already implemented. It's like finding out that there's actually gold in the area where you are looking; you just have to know where to dig.

I'll try to elaborate a little on my questions, to see if all the gold is actually there:
NF wrote:
Komponist-Kalle wrote:1) Separate MIDI mappings for Clip View Controls for different tracks. It's currently only possible to assign one "global" mapping for all tracks.

for 1) please precise
A more detailed description is here:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=150727

NF wrote: for 2) this posted a forum member and is amybe a workflow for your problem: http://www.swarmintelligence.net/2010/1 ... -with.html
Thanks! I'll look into that.

NF wrote: for 3) trick 17: sign a key of your choise for play and follow song. so you have done it! :wink:
Map one key to play and one to follow? (I'll search for trick 17…) If so, I'd prefer a preference setting where I can tell Live that I always want follow to be on (or always off, or "context sensitive" as it is now, which could be the default).

NF wrote: for 4) from my side 3 are enough to run endless through the library. I would say that you should try to organize your stuff more into your live-library. so you have all inside. with a click on the small downsided arrow to library let you jump into your default view.
You are right when it comes to organisation. Absolutely. Bookmarks (in the browser) goes a long way, but I would still very much like the option of having more browsers. One could specify how many in the Preferences. 3 is a good default, of course.

NF wrote: for 5) follow the signal cursor in the arrange view: use cmd+ arrow key to jump through the clips for every track.
Is the signal cursor the rectangle in the Clip Overview? I know I can navigate the Arrangement by clicking (and dragging) there, but I want key shortcuts. Cmd-arrow keys up and down moves between clips in different tracks (vertically), Cmd-arrow keys left and right nudges the insertion point. Option-arrow keys left right moves through clips horizontally. Is that what you mean?

NF wrote: hi,
here some answers

for 6) here is your value:
Thanks for the screen grab! :) And I should indeed go see my optician! ;)

Is it just me, though, who want finer resolution? I do understand the division by 6 dB, but I'd like to discriminate between, let's say 2 and 2.5 dB. I find the fixed size display of the built in effects (compressor in this case) to be a bit small.

NF wrote: for 7) win: strg+shift+ B ,and for the FX section below: strg+shift+ L
mac may be cmd+shift (or alt) +B/L

navigate with arrow keys
Cmd-Option-b reveals and hides the browser section, but it doesn't select it (focus is still where the last click was made). Is this different on Windows?

NF wrote: for 10) "*" is a joker and means all. e.g. an* means every word that begins with "an" end ends in everything the PONS includes ;-)
The • is not a joker (or wildcard). * is the wildcard character but • is Option-q (on a Mac).

NF wrote: for 11) why? the click is done in 0.5s 8)
A Revert menu command is very Mac standard. And can be engaged in 0.3 s. ;)

NF wrote: for 12) just download other skins
The problem is not the skins themselves but the design decision to let the left and right edges of the Clip Overview rectangle always have the same colour as the desktop. It doesn't seem possible to colour those edges separately.

NF wrote: for 13) "Find peak" - why? compressor and limiter will help you to handle peaks. otherwise the user should learn to make clean records.
"normalize" - just bounce normalized
"change gain" - use utility tool
"fade in- out" - use fades in arrange window or automate the master or any channel you want
Well, this is a design choice. Should Live just be a live tool or should it be a complete DAW? As it is now I do need a separate sound file editor. Sometimes the need for non real time, destructive editing of sound files occurs. It could be a matter of habits, but this is how some of us prefer to work. Concerning Normalizing, there is a need to set the normalize level (both in dB and %). That's pretty standard, honestly.

NF wrote: for 14) and what you tell the PC´s? the colors are nice indeed
This is also a design decision. Should the interface look exactly the same on different platforms (apart from the arrow cursor) or should it look and feel more "native" (on the respective platforms)? It's in a way cool that the interface is unified, but it does cause some problems (as I noted).

NF wrote: for 15) please precise
If I have a chain of effects, the only way to select one of them (for editing) is to click on it or use the arrow keys (if the device chain section has focus). It's possible to hard code mappings to knobs on external controllers, but sometimes it's nice to not having to lock the mapping in this way. One example is the Automap approach by Novation. This is "context sensitive" = the mapping reflects what is currently selected. It could well be that Automap is the _only_ example. But it's a nice (and intelligent) approach. It's many times fine to hard code mappings, but again (and this sums up my requests really) I would like the _option_ to do things in a way that suits me.

All the best :)
Kristian

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:45 pm

16) Loopbrace movement via arrow keys: I find it unnatural that the down arrow key moves the (selected) loop brace backwards. I would prefer it to be the other way. (This also applies to Command-down arrow key, which should extend the selection, not shrink it.)

In a word processor document, for instance, up arrow key moves the cursor "back in time" (to an earlier point in the document) and the down arrow key moves forward.

Session view clips (in Live) is another (good) example: I think most people find it more natural to have potentially "earlier" clips (intro, verse 1 for instance) _above_ later ones, and not _below_.

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:53 pm

17) Colour-codable file browser.
The currently implemented color swatch (for clip colours etc.) would be fine.

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:00 pm

18) Clip editing in Arrangement View:

Key shortcut to engage zooming while editing clips, directly in the Arrangement View. While working creatively with clips: selecting portions of a clip, Splitting, Deleting etc. it would be nice to be able to just depress a key (Option key perhaps) to engage zooming, instead of having to grope with the mouse up to the overview bar. I find it desturbing to be interrupted in my flow by having to find the right position for this in the overview bar. This is especially true when Permanent Scrub Areas is ON. There is also a thin horizontal region between the overview (if made visable) and the bar below, where zooming doesn't work (i.e. the cursor turns into an arrow).

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 pm

19) The standard green upper left minimize button (next to the yellow and red one) shouldn't be disabled after engaging Full Screen mode (and then going back to window mode).

(This is more of a bug report.)

NSU_Spray

Post by NSU_Spray » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:08 am

Alt + Arrow keys
Komponist-Kalle wrote: 13) A simple integrated soundfile editor (Find peak, normalize. change gain, fade in - out.).
Change gain:
http://en.wikiaudio.org/Ableton_Live:Sa ... ain_slider

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:41 pm

NSU_Spray wrote:
Alt + Arrow keys
Excellent!
NSU_Spray wrote:
Komponist-Kalle wrote: 13) A simple integrated soundfile editor (Find peak, normalize. change gain, fade in - out.).
Change gain:
http://en.wikiaudio.org/Ableton_Live:Sa ... ain_slider
Yeah, and you can normalize on export. But we need percent alterations too (on Gain and Normalization). Plus there's 3 more to go.

A simple, integrated soundfile editor would indeed still be handy.

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:21 am

20) Visual info of the current value of the parameter being automated, while editing a region.

When selecting a portion of a clip in an automation lane (in Arrangement view) and moving the automation line vertically (which inserts 4 handles at the edges of the selection) I'd like to se the current value of the parameter being automated. There's no live update of the current value.

When editing single handles the value is displayed in a box next to the mouse, but when editing a region (as per above) there's no info.

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:18 pm

21) Command-click on the title in the title bar should reveal the document's path.

In almost all document based applications (both cocoa and carbon) I've seen (apart from Microsoft Word), Command-clicking on the title in the title bar reveals the currently loaded document's path. This makes it very easy to find the open document in the Finder.

As this seems to be part of the Apple Human Interface Guidelines, and it would surprise me if it's not very easy to achieve with the current API's, it's a bit of a shame that this piece of functionality isn't present.

This request (for honestly quite basic and normal functionality) is along the lines of my No. 11 (Revert as a menu command).

Komponist-Kalle

Post by Komponist-Kalle » Wed May 11, 2011 9:45 pm

22) More than 8 mappable encoder 'slots' in User Remote Scripts.

It's nice that we can tweak UserConfiguration.txt (in a custom-named folder) for custom controllers, but it would be useful with more than 8 'slots' for each controller type.

At least 16, but why not 32 (or something)?

I've taken a quick look at some of the scripts in /Applications/Live\ 8.2.2/Live.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI\ Remote\ Scripts
but I don't know Python enough to really parse them properly.

What I'm really looking for is a simple way to make custom (but pre-made by the user) mappings to extensive midi controllers. The protocol should ideally include support for visual feedback (like on the Novation products, just to mention one manufacturer). Basically something between current User Remote Scripts and the Python scripts. That would be very useful!

So: a less cryptic, more human readable format with a lot more functionality.