Latest Live 8 version: Live 8.1 is online!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Suicide Server

Re: Latest Live 8 version: Live 8.1 is online!

Post by Suicide Server » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:44 pm

cotdagoo wrote:

wow.. wish there was a better announcement of this.. perhaps in this 8.1 release announcement/download thread.

why is it even 8.1 still if they've re-released a bugfix version already? shouldn't it be 8.1.1 now?

guess it's time to download another 600mb.. oh joy
i couldn´t agree more

Lamont

Post by Lamont » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:33 pm

8.1 is fine with me.
8.0.8 was very unstable on my mbp 13".
I think it all depends on what you use, when you use it and how you use it.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:53 pm

^ and therein lies the problem of using computers - takes ages to sort out the glitches (non musical, I mean)

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:57 am

Tried reinstalling a few times, both the suite and regular downloads. Tried deleting cache, stuff from preferences for 8.1, etc. Still crashes on my more complicated sets, but is fine on some other ones..

I wonder if it's the long sample name thing some others have mentioned? I'm not sure, and don't know live well enough to guess from crash logs, obviously.

So I guess I get to wait till I hear from Ableton support, or until the next version.

8.0.9 is still fine with everything I've given it.

UPDATE: Some further investigation suggests it might be one of the plugins I use, since my empty DJ template crashes 8.1 also. Supatrigga is the only 3rd party plugin in that set. I hope that's not killing it. It makes some of my favorite noises!
Last edited by sparkletone on Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

pr0jekt2501

Post by pr0jekt2501 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:46 am

aizo wrote:For some reason 8.1 doesn't like samples with long names.

I made a simple one drum rack project that I was working on (in the latest version before buying M4L and upgrading to 8.1) that had some samples from KJ Sawka's drum and bass sample pack.
When I fired it up in 8.1, the view of the piano roll was sticking and VERY un-responsive. 1.) I thought it was that my laptop(which 3 years old) couldn't handle the project but not even 1% of the computer was being used on it. 2.) I thought it was that 8.1 and the Launchpad didn't like each other. So, I disconnected it and it was still slow. 3.) I thought it was the routings that I learned from "Fletchmusic" off of Youtube(beatrepeat and LED response for the Launchpad). So I deleted them but it had no effect. 4.) I tried another project and it worked flawlessly. Same exact set up just with different samples in the drum rack. So, I thought maybe somehow that my project had became corrupted, so I saved the drum rack and the midi file and created a new project. No luck it was still groggy as shit. No change. So I reloaded the same samples in a new drum rack in a new project and the same results! I was like WTF????? 5.) I thought maybe the asd files were fucked up so I deleted them all....no effect. 6.) Then I took a sample from the same file and put it in a new drum rack(not sample that I used in the previous track but a different sample from the same pack). It worked fine. No hang ups or ANYTHING! I was like huh??? Why does this work? So I added ONE sample from the previous drum rack and boom... groggy again. 7.) The sample that worked from the same pack was a hihat sample named "KJ_Open_14." One of the samples in the problem project(which is right below in the list in the sample pack) was named "KJ_Super_Pro_Hat1." I used super pro hihat 1 and 2 in the previous project so I tried in my test to use "KJ_Super_Pro_Hat3." It didn't work. Puzzled and a bit crazy I was like.....well what could it be? the sample name length? So I renamed the samples with long names and everything is perfectly OK. Strange! I had no idea it would have that kind of effect. It worked in 8.0.9. Not 8.1.

Anyway my specs are: OSX 10.4.11 / Black Macbook 2.0 / 2 gigs ram / 200 HDD, Live 8.1 with the Novation LP.
I have the exact same problem - The piano roll and all of live is really slow. It only happens when using samples that have long filenames in drum racks in live 8.1. BTW I've changed the drumracks to use sampler by default. This slow down doesn't happen in 8.0.9 - or any previous version.

This is very annoying since I don't want to re-organize my sample library, and I need 8.1 for max4live. This is on a macbookpro.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:33 am

Just a reminder to keep backups BEFORE you start opening songs in a new version ;)

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:16 am

Yet more investigation... Looks like it's something about Supatrigga, which I'd upgrade, but it looks like development on it stalled some time ago (boooooo).

My empty DJ template and sets based on it all crash live. If I remove the supatrigga component file, the sets open (with expected complaints about not being able to find a referenced plugin) and seem to function fine. At first I thought it might be that it I'm using it 2x, or that they're in racks or anything else. However, strangely, if I add it one or more times to sets that aren't my DJ template, it seems to work okay.

Confusing!

8O

Post by 8O » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:31 am

Am using Live 8.1 + supatrigger (whatever the latest version was) on OS X 10.6.2 fine here. All my old 8.0.9 sets seem to open and play ok in 8.1...

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:37 am

8O wrote:Am using Live 8.1 + supatrigger (whatever the latest version was) on OS X 10.6.2 fine here. All my old 8.0.9 sets seem to open and play ok in 8.1...
Yeah. I have to think that it's something about how it's setup in the sets, since keeping Live from loading the plugin in prevents the crash... But I can still add it to other sets just fine. If I give you a copy of the empty template that causes the crash for me, would you mind trying to open it?

If it works for you, not for me, something weird's definitely going on. :D

EDIT: Link pm'd. If you're bored, give it a shot and let me know if it works! If it crashes for both of us, I'll send it to Ableton (I already emailed them Log.txt and other info).

8O

Post by 8O » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:47 am

sparkletone wrote:
8O wrote:Am using Live 8.1 + supatrigger (whatever the latest version was) on OS X 10.6.2 fine here. All my old 8.0.9 sets seem to open and play ok in 8.1...
Yeah. I have to think that it's something about how it's setup in the sets, since keeping Live from loading the plugin in prevents the crash... But I can still add it to other sets just fine. If I give you a copy of the empty template that causes the crash for me, would you mind trying to open it?

If it works for you, not for me, something weird's definitely going on. :D

EDIT: Link pm'd. If you're bored, give it a shot and let me know if it works! If it crashes for both of us, I'll send it to Ableton (I already emailed them Log.txt and other info).
PM'd. Yes, your set crashes my Live 8.1 too.

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:23 am

Will definitely be emailing the set to them once I wake up. Thanks for the assistance!

Cheers.

EDIT: Compounding the weirdness... I deleted Supatrigga from my DJ template, saved the trigga-less template and opened that in 8.1 It opened fine. I then re-added Supatrigga, remapped MIDI, keys, etc. And... It works fine. Saves/opens fine. Everything's cool (as far as I can tell). Maybe just a corrupted project file? CRAZY.
Last edited by sparkletone on Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:55 pm

pr0jekt2501 wrote: I have the exact same problem - The piano roll and all of live is really slow. It only happens when using samples that have long filenames in drum racks in live 8.1. BTW I've changed the drumracks to use sampler by default. This slow down doesn't happen in 8.0.9 - or any previous version.

This is very annoying since I don't want to re-organize my sample library, and I need 8.1 for max4live. This is on a macbookpro.

I get the same thing in Live 8.1 when I load the Acid Pauli free Live pack:

http://cdn1.ableton.com/download/5fc989 ... dPauli.zip

Everything is slow. I loaded the same free pack into 8.0.9, and it works fine.

I'm on a Q6600 overclocked to 3ghz on Windows XP Servic Pack 2. The cpu nevers goes above 17%, but it the display and everything slows down like crazy in 8.1.

I'm going back to 8.0.9.

(I emailed tech support about the problem.)
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

adicarter

Post by adicarter » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:51 pm

I had an issue with punch in and punch out no longer working in 8.1 spoke to tech, they recreated the fault and logged it as a big report.

Adi

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:09 pm

metasymbol wrote:OMG when I read this here I get the feeling that Live 8.1 is very unstable and full of bugs...
So, a few things:

1) There is no Live 9, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

2) Ableton's developers are only human and all software has bugs. There will never, ever, ever, ever be a 100% stable, bug-free piece of interesting software. Something as complicated as Live is going to have issues from time to time.

3) Despite #2... Yeah. Some releases are better than others, and maybe this was a not so good one, though I don't think this is a particularly large number of reported issues in the release thread (I can remember seeing more).

4) The thing to keep in mind is that this is a forum where people post when they have problems, so of course you're going to hear about them here. I can see how it would create a skewed impression of how stable Live really is. I would guess that the number of live users who are doing fine and who don't post here far outnumbers those who do. But those silent ones are benefitting from our helping Ableton make their stuff better, so it works out better this way. :)

Honestly, the 8.1/Supatrigga crashing thing that I've posted about is the first trouble I've run into with Ableton software in quite some time. Just keep in mind the source of your impressions/information when forming opinions!

pr0jekt2501

Post by pr0jekt2501 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:55 am

To workaround live 8.1 slowing down with long sample names in drum racks you can select the pad with the long filename, press cmd-r or ctrl-r and give it a short name. Live then starts working properly again.