Ableton on Netbooks...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mlangsman

Ableton on Netbooks...

Post by mlangsman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:42 am

Im planning to go travelling at somepoint in the not too distant future and was thinking about picking up a netbook to do some music on the move. Ive seen a few posts saying the eepcs arent a great spec for ableton but has anyone tried any of the others such as the indamixx ?

Any comments / reviews / pointers would be appreciated !

Cheers,
Marc

ilia

Re: Ableton on Netbooks...

Post by ilia » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:29 pm

mlangsman wrote:Im planning to go travelling at somepoint in the not too distant future and was thinking about picking up a netbook to do some music on the move. Ive seen a few posts saying the eepcs arent a great spec for ableton but has anyone tried any of the others such as the indamixx ?

Any comments / reviews / pointers would be appreciated !

Cheers,
Marc
indamixx is Linux-based, so you won't be running Live (if that's your question).

mlangsman

Post by mlangsman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:07 pm

Looks like Indamixx is an Intel Atom so you could install windows on it no problem. I see some folk have installed hackintosh style osx on the dell and msi netbooks too.

If they wont run ableton perhaps there is some older music tech that will run on them... I reluctant to dissapear for x months without something to knock up some tunes with !! ;)

Are the older Live versions less cpu intensive ? It could be live would run okay just using samples rather than many synths. Sounds lke it could enforce some good creative limits in a way !

mlangsman

Post by mlangsman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:12 pm

Rave wrote:Why dont you get a refurbed macbook, that will do the trick :)
Ive got an mbp but wanted somethiung that was pretty small / cheap to take away. macbooks are still pretty big to be lugging around in a backpack I reckon !

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:15 pm

mpc 500?

:)

mlangsman

Post by mlangsman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:18 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:mpc 500?

:)
Handnt thought of one of those ! Are they pretty compact ? Hard to tell from pictures. Whats the craic with power - do they have rechargable batteries etc ?

2ndSoul

Post by 2ndSoul » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:23 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:
mpc 500?

Handnt thought of one of those ! Are they pretty compact ? Hard to tell from pictures. Whats the craic with power - do they have rechargable batteries etc ?
I thing you will get mad after years with ableton when you must work on a mpc 500,...
MacBook Pro 2,16 GHZ, Live 7 Suite, SonicCharge Microtonic & Synplant, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, ESI- Near05, AKG 271, Novation Remote SL 25 Compact, AKAI MPD32 (hopefully soon AKAI APC40 & Live 8)

mlangsman

Post by mlangsman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:27 pm

2ndSoul wrote:
bosonHavoc wrote:
mpc 500?

I thing you will get mad after years with ableton when you must work on a mpc 500,...
Something with a decent screen definitely sounds more appealing ! I see the indamixx ships with energyXT - has anyone used this DAW before ?

bendybones

Post by bendybones » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:28 pm

2ndSoul wrote:
bosonHavoc wrote:
mpc 500?

Really?
Coz I've never tried MPC, but lately I'm thinking of MPC for travelling.
Not for compactness tho. My friend has one and it's pretty chunky.

2ndSoul

Post by 2ndSoul » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:40 pm

It depends maybe on your style to work, but for me this is a horrible vision, maybe a mpc 1000, but this one you can't take for bobile use. But the 2 Bar cryptic display,...a no-go in my sight. (Sorry for my bad English!)
MacBook Pro 2,16 GHZ, Live 7 Suite, SonicCharge Microtonic & Synplant, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, ESI- Near05, AKG 271, Novation Remote SL 25 Compact, AKAI MPD32 (hopefully soon AKAI APC40 & Live 8)

mlangsman

Post by mlangsman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:19 am

So after looking into it seems some people have been ruinning ableton on the MSI wind with some success :

http://forums.msiwind.net/general-discu ... t1616.html

Hopefully the next generation of these badboys will have enough juice so that things run comfortably.

Does anyone know if Live LIte/LE is lower in cpu usage or is it just the same as the full version but with restrictions on no.tracks etc ?

ta,
Marc

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:26 am

Why don't you look at one of the eee pcs with xp and a 9 inch screen if you want something compact. That model is getting a bit long in the tooth now, maybe you can get one cheap :)

I doubt that you will run a huge live set on it but it should be good for a small set...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:38 pm

I'd say get an iPod Touch and the app Beatmaker, maybe Noise.io too. WAY more portable, better battery life, and you can export the results to your computer when you get home.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com