Bluetooth Keypads??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
vdrum

Bluetooth Keypads??

Post by vdrum » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:40 pm

Anyone have any negative comments about using a Bluetooth keyboard/pad with Ableton? Any latency issues assigning key commands using keymapping?

Many thanks in advance,

TK
eDrummer: Roland Vdrum kit Live 8/ MacBookPro 2.5 mhz & 2gb. Motu Ultralite.. Homemade midi-triggering pad for LIVE's filters , clips , & record buttons. Hopelessly hooked on live looping.

Anubis

Re: Bluetooth Keypads??

Post by Anubis » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:30 am

The performance of bluetooth in general is crap. I've used the (Logitech)Di Novo series and they're no better than the standard wireless keyboard... just more expensive.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

oblique strategies

Re: Bluetooth Keypads??

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:31 am

vdrum wrote:Anyone have any negative comments about using a Bluetooth keyboard/pad with Ableton?
I do. I have the previous generation MacBook Pro 2.5GHz running the latest OS & updates. I bought one of the thin Apple bluetooth keyboards (without the number pad), & have had nothing but problems with the signal disconnecting. My laptop is in the same room as the keyboard, no more than 7 feet away with no metal barrier between them.

In my troubleshooting I went to the Apple forums where I found a number of people reporting the same problem. I tried all the recommended fixes, & none helped. I even had Apple send me a replacement keyboard in the hope that it might have been defective, but I have the same problems.

I finally attached my old wired keyboard, & am storing the bluetooth one until the next major OS X update (or Apple cops to a problem & offers a real fix).

I believe it is a hardware/software issue that could be cleared up any day -or not. crApple is mute on the subject. :x

It may be the bluetooth in my laptop, but with so many people reporting the same problem it makes me wonder about that. Of course they could have made a bunch of laptops that all have the same problem with their hardware, but no one on the Apple forums have reporting this avenue being explored, or of having had repairs of their laptops to fix the problem.

Buyer beware... For now anyway.

I didn't really notice any latency issues, but I didn't use the keyboard extensively as a Live controller either.

As a side note, Apple just released a wired keyboard in the same form factor as the little bluetooth one. Plus it has 2 USB ports (rather inconveniently placed on each side of the keyboard thereby nullifying the benefits of its small size... Go Apple!)

I may be getting one of these since the main reason I got the bluetooth keyboard in the first place was for it's small size.