limit reached for operator, gotta be shi**ng me

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

limit reached for operator, gotta be shi**ng me

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:35 am

so I already had live 7 with operator on this computer, upgrade to live 8 suite and operator is missing. I fumble around trying to figure it out and then realize it's cause my operator unlock for this computer has been maxed out. excuse me? it was already authorized on this computer and now I have to wait for authorization to upgrade??

frustrating..
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Schuft

Re: limit reached for operator, gotta be shi**ng me

Post by Schuft » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:24 am

Excuse me ... WHAT ??? Are you serious ?

I previously purchased Live 7 (download) and operator/drum machines. But until now I only installed Live 7.
A few days ago my Suite8-Box was delivered .. but I didn't had the time to install it yet. Thanks for the info Johnisfaster! .. Now I'll definitely first install Suite8 before I'll activate my operator/drum machines.

p.s. yeah, really frustrating.
SubFunk wrote:we are all to spoiled. drifting into technical wanking rather then developing skills with what we got.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:47 am

if you haven't installed operator yet you'll be fine. the reason this is happening to me is cause I got live at version 5 and obviously have gone through a couple of computers in the last 3 years.

so apparently in the future I can expect to email ableton every single time I upgrade asking them "can I install operator now?"

the stupid part is the fact that operator was already installed on this machine and working, didn't uninstall it or anything. the other stupid part is that I just installed 8 suite (which comes with everything) and then it says I can't unlock operator on this machine... does that sound logical? you'll let me install the suite but not operator cause it's been unlocked too many times? this is what happens when you have separate licenses for every single thing you sell.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:13 am

Johnisfaster wrote:if you haven't installed operator yet you'll be fine. the reason this is happening to me is cause I got live at version 5 and obviously have gone through a couple of computers in the last 3 years.

so apparently in the future I can expect to email ableton every single time I upgrade asking them "can I install operator now?"

the stupid part is the fact that operator was already installed on this machine and working, didn't uninstall it or anything. the other stupid part is that I just installed 8 suite (which comes with everything) and then it says I can't unlock operator on this machine... does that sound logical? you'll let me install the suite but not operator cause it's been unlocked too many times? this is what happens when you have separate licenses for every single thing you sell.
They did improve the whole situation.
I installed 8.0.1 yesterday, authorized it and got a mail saying I used up all my unlocks.
All I had to do was reply to that mail and now I got fresh unlocks for next time.

creature

Post by creature » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:19 am

Give support a call. I have hit my unlock limit quite a few times after installs on new machine and changes of OS. If you just explain the situation to them they are really good at providing additional unlocks. Abes support it very good for this sort of thing.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:23 am

It's a PITA fo' sho'.

but I don't know how on earth you could expect the Abes to know how many computers you have had and factor it in come upgrade time, it would be excellent customer service true, but lets be fair.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:43 am

UKRuss wrote:It's a PITA fo' sho'.

but I don't know how on earth you could expect the Abes to know how many computers you have had and factor it in come upgrade time, it would be excellent customer service true, but lets be fair.
I wouldn't expect them to know how many computers I have, but I would expect that if I purchase live 8 suite I'd be able to install all the parts of the suite in one go. the problem here is that they have separate licenses for each individual product, which is cool for people who buy them separate but if you buy the suite it should be one license so you don't have an issue like this.

acroberts

Post by acroberts » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:34 am

...doesn't each tech support call/email that I make regarding my unlocks cut into Ableton's profit margin on my purchase?

I jumped on the Live bandwagon at v5, and I installed the product on my work PC and home Mac. If I get this right, the unlock policy limits provides two unlocks and then forces me to contact support for any following installs. Fine, unless the policy affects upgrading or re-installing the product ON THE SAME MACHINE.

For any long-term user (2+ years), Ableton seems to be expecting to get these calls with this policy, especially from folks like me who replace their computers (or reformat or upgrade HDs) every couple of years.

So far, they have received two communications from me since I began using the product - once with v7 and now again with v8. My first call was responded to very quickly, but due to the v8 roll-out, I'm expecting a longer wait this time around.

To complicate things, I am expecting to make another call in a few months when I upgrade the HDs on my laptops and plan to install the OS from scratch. It's too bad that I cannot take some sort of cookie file tied to my computer's wired NIC and transfer that to save everyone the hassle (...hint)

In the end, Ableton must protect their product - piracy sucks balls - and I completely sympathize with them on trying to find the best way to do this. However, but there has got to be a better way to balance the user's needs of the product - which WAS purchased legally - along with Ableton's needs in protecting the product and being profitable. Upping the number of unlocks would be great and simple first step.
Last edited by acroberts on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:40 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
UKRuss wrote:It's a PITA fo' sho'.

I wouldn't expect them to know how many computers I have, but I would expect that if I purchase live 8 suite I'd be able to install all the parts of the suite in one go. the problem here is that they have separate licenses for each individual product, which is cool for people who buy them separate but if you buy the suite it should be one license so you don't have an issue like this.
Now that is fair enough.

dom

Post by dom » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:26 pm

acroberts wrote:So far, they have received two communications from me since I began using the product - once with v7 and now again with v8. My first call was responded to very quickly, but due to the v8 roll-out, I'm expecting a longer wait this time around.
Copy protection is always somehow annoying - sure thing - but rest assured that we also know that, as we're also "users" and that a lot of thinking went into the whole ableton protection scheme to make it as pleasant as possible while still being effective.

In general we're pretty fast in adding unlocks, even know during the live 8 frenzy you received your unlocks about an hour ago, as far as i can see.
Even if something goes wrong you can load and play your sets in demo mode as a backup solution, or get a 14day serial automatically from our server.

H2K is also right, you'll get an automated mail now if you use the last available unlock, so you can drop us a mail even before you have to use the next one.

Nevertheless, the issue that caused this thread is a valid one: if you own a product and unlocked it before and this product is also again part of your new set of licenses - then it should get the same unlock amount as the rest of the new serials. Not really a bug but not perfect yet, either, so yes, we will fix this kink, too.

Cheers,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

acroberts

Post by acroberts » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:36 pm

To be fair, Ableton just emailed me that I have an additional unlock on my request (which was for my Mac upgrade), so thanks for the turnaround on that.

Will see what happens when I try and install on my 2nd PC. :D

dom

Post by dom » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:45 pm

... just what i wrote!
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:54 pm

Didn't you beta-test?????

Don't complain!