Groove is crazy!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kb420

Groove is crazy!!!

Post by kb420 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:28 pm

I no longer have any gear lust at all for a MPC!!!!!!

The new groove function killed it.

If you are a Live user and you still feel the need for a MPC, then you just don't understand!!!!!
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

v00d00ppl

Re: Groove is crazy!!!

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:36 pm

i've really been playing with the groove function and the sp-1200, mpc grooves are nice. The hip-hop NY groove is a great way to get that pete rock/premo feel.

Now, i've been messing with all the rock grooves. I have noticed that if you like to chop guitar hits or bass hits, the rock grooves add a nice guitarist swing whether if you are playing rhythmically or just using the guitars as textures.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:45 pm

Take a break beat from a dusty old record. Loop it in Live. Look at how the drummers kicks and snares don't line up perfectly with the grid.

DO NOT FIX IT WITH THE WARP ENGINE.

Extract the groove, and make a new beat with your own drum sounds with that groove!!!!!

WICKED

'nuff said!!!!
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:51 pm

kb420 wrote:Take a break beat from a dusty old record. Loop it in Live. Look at how the drummers kicks and snares don't line up perfectly with the grid.

Extract the groove, and make a new beat with your own drum sounds with that groove!!!!!

WICKED

'nuff said!!!!
hold up!!!!

did you just say i can take the drummers groove from the break i sampled????

that shit would be like akuma's finisher in street fighter 4....no fair....

i've been spending so much time just trying to replay that loop manually and then throwing in an sp-1200 1/16 54% groove....

so how do i extract the groove?
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:56 pm

v00d00ppl wrote:
kb420 wrote:Take a break beat from a dusty old record. Loop it in Live. Look at how the drummers kicks and snares don't line up perfectly with the grid.

WICKED

'nuff said!!!!
hold up!!!!

did you just say i can take the drummers groove from the break i sampled????

that shit would be like akuma's finisher in street fighter 4....no fair....

i've been spending so much time just trying to replay that loop manually and then throwing in an sp-1200 1/16 54% groove....

so how do i extract the groove?
Right-click a clip. Midi or Audio.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:05 am

thanks

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:42 am

kb420 wrote:I no longer have any gear lust at all for a MPC!!!!!!

The new groove function killed it.

If you are a Live user and you still feel the need for a MPC, then you just don't understand!!!!!
:mrgreen: says the man who owns an MPC 3000 and an Asr-10 :lol:

Reversoulmusic

Post by Reversoulmusic » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:55 am

I agree this is what I been waiting for since I stop using my Sp1200 and ASR10 now I am ready to sell both units for those who dont know LIVE8 is the shizzy!!! :mrgreen:

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:02 am

I know all you guys haven't owned sps, mpcs, and Asrs all of this time just for the swing, pretty soon people will start saying that they're replacing their Ni Maschine with Live :lol: C'mon now Live is dope but the groove features should have been in version 1 of any softsampler, now when openlabs finally shrinks that tank of a Dabeat machine a little (and changes the name) then we might have something otherwise you might want to check out your mpcs and sp1200s they already have the groove feature and you don't need a computer to use it.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:12 am

starving student wrote:I know all you guys haven't owned sps, mpcs, and Asrs all of this time just for the swing, pretty soon people will start saying that they're replacing their Ni Maschine with Live :lol: C'mon now Live is dope but the groove features should have been in version 1 of any softsampler, now when openlabs finally shrinks that tank of a Dabeat machine a little (and changes the name) then we might have something otherwise you might want to check out your mpcs and sp1200s they already have the groove feature and you don't need a computer to use it.
True true. Swing is half the reason I have kept my MPC2000 and SP1200, the other half being their sample "colouration". However, I am looking to get everything INTO my computer. I don't have room for all this gear!

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:01 am

i hear ya contakt, for me it's just gotta be both I couldn't live without ableton or the hardware, the fun you're able to have with just some samples, the mpc 500, and kaosspad 3 amazes me, and then ableton is this whole other world of goodness to behold. whenever I try to give one or the other up it just doesn't work.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:33 am

starving student wrote:

:mrgreen: says the man who owns an MPC 3000 and an Asr-10 :lol:

Well, my ASR is collecting dust (bad disc drive). My MPC works fine, but my Zip disc drive doesn't. So, I've been strictly using Live. The only hardware I still use on a regular is my Motif ES7.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:37 am

starving student wrote:I know all you guys haven't owned sps, mpcs, and Asrs all of this time just for the swing, pretty soon people will start saying that they're replacing their Ni Maschine with Live :lol: C'mon now Live is dope but the groove features should have been in version 1 of any softsampler, now when openlabs finally shrinks that tank of a Dabeat machine a little (and changes the name) then we might have something otherwise you might want to check out your mpcs and sp1200s they already have the groove feature and you don't need a computer to use it.

They may have had swing, but they didn't have groove extraction, and quantize to groove.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Sphinx

Post by Sphinx » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:07 am

kb420 wrote:

They may have had swing, but they didn't have groove extraction, and quantize to groove.
Gotta' love it! :wink:

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:15 am

kb420 wrote:

i haven't touched 8, this is the first time i didn't even beta I know i'm going to upgrade anyway so no need to bother, last time when i was beta testing i lost my mind, got a question so I can record all my hardware into Live like usual and then just extract/apply the grooves just like that? nice