Is Live's Internal Routing Stereo Only?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
channelite

Is Live's Internal Routing Stereo Only?

Post by channelite » Sat May 16, 2009 6:28 pm

When recording from another Live track or Resampling, the new track is always stereo. I've tried the Utility/Mono plugin but the new track's audio is always stereo. I want certain tracks to be mono. So far I'm able to achieve a mono track by having the mono plugin on the soft synth track, send that audio out of my Motu 828mk3's optical out to the optical in, select the new track's in as the mono optical in and record the track this way.

Am I totally missing something? Is there another way to record a mono track from another track or Resampling?

Tone Deft

Re: Is Live's Internal Routing Stereo Only?

Post by Tone Deft » Sat May 16, 2009 6:34 pm

what's the difference between two channels with identical content playing at once and a mono track?

on the other hand, if it's mono in Live (no left right, just one track, one meter) and at your monitors it's two two channels with identical content playing at once at some point in your signal chain you converted that mono signal into two tracks of identical content.

anyway, why is this a problem? IMO you've invented a problem that doesn't need to be solved, it's just a weird observation.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

channelite

Post by channelite » Sat May 16, 2009 6:38 pm

I'm trying to conserve computer resources (disk space) really. Yes sound wise it makes no differnce.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat May 16, 2009 6:41 pm

meh, drives are cheap these days. ;)

400Gb for $70!!
http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.as ... ard-Drives
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun May 17, 2009 4:51 am

Live records audio in mono if you select it in your input selector. Make sure you have your mono inputs selected as well as stereo in the audio preferences.

i.e. on my Alesis IO14, I record a guitar into input #1. In Live it defaults to input 1/2 (stereo), this is annoying if you forget to change as the signal only appears on one channel (i.e. left) on a stereo track but if I click on the input setting, a drop down menu appears and I have (input #1, input #2, and input 1/2). I select input #1 and record and voila, a track in mono is recorded.

I think that resampling is a stereo only recording feature though.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun May 17, 2009 4:59 am

just tried it.
recorded from input 3 (mono).
Live records a mono track.
made a new audio track, set its input to the mono track.
the recording is two identical stereo channels.

you can render mono, it's bouncing to a file instead of a track.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

channelite

Post by channelite » Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 am

I think there should be a way to record a mono track from an internal source. Seems like a waste of processing power and disk space to record a mono track as stereo. While I'm at it, the new Looper plugin records only 32 bit samples...