DTouchR: iPhone/iPod Touch interface for Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dtr

DTouchR: iPhone/iPod Touch interface for Live

Post by dtr » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:44 am

I started the development of DTouchR, a touch screen interface for iPhone/iPod Touch and Live. It uses TouchOSC on the iPhone side and M4L on the Live side. Here's the first info on my blog:

http://dtr.noisepages.com/2009/12/in-de ... -for-live/

grtz dtr

Ben_Binary

Re: DTouchR: iPhone/iPod Touch interface for Live

Post by Ben_Binary » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:36 am

That looks cool. I was hoping to get some of the lemur style bouncing balls to control abletons x/y controls on my iphone.

The feedback with clip/track/device names is real good.
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

dtr

Post by dtr » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:19 am

Ben_Binary wrote:That looks cool. I was hoping to get some of the lemur style bouncing balls to control abletons x/y controls on my iphone.

The feedback with clip/track/device names is real good.
Thanks!

All kinds of fader, knob and XY pad controls are in the pipeline. TouchOSC doesn't have any scripting capabilities on the iPhone side so that Lemur style behavior would have to be scripted on the M4L side with visual feedback on the iPhone. Could be done. Perhaps a custom OpenFrameworks app on the iPhone instead of TouchOSC would be more efficient.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:16 am

An x-y pad controller would make me go and buy a touch, i can't justify losing another usb port just to have x-y control and as the laptop only has two, one is the audio interface and the other is the APC... This'd be perfect!

Cheers
D

dtr

Post by dtr » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:44 am

It's coming!

(But perhaps a USB hub is a cheaper solution for you ;))

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:02 am

Very cool!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:06 pm

dtr wrote:It's coming!

(But perhaps a USB hub is a cheaper solution for you ;))
Cheaper yes, but then i've got to carry around a padkontrol as well, this way with the ipod touch i've got a back up source of tunes in case anything goes wrong as well!

Cheers
D

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:45 pm

Damn it... my Iphone cannot connect to WLANs anymore. Is it also possible to use these iphone2midi-apps via USB-connection? That would also reduce the risk of audio problems caused by WLAN-cards etc.

dtr

Post by dtr » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:04 pm

#1thelark wrote:Damn it... my Iphone cannot connect to WLANs anymore. Is it also possible to use these iphone2midi-apps via USB-connection? That would also reduce the risk of audio problems caused by WLAN-cards etc.
In theory: yes. iTunes communicates with the iPhone over USB so other apps could too. Unless Apple blocked it out. I don't know whether the iPhone dev libraries allow it. If it does an iPhone app like TouchOSC would have to be adapted by the developer for it to function over USB.