Re-naming "USB Audio Device" in Win XP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Blue4Ice

Re-naming "USB Audio Device" in Win XP

Post by Blue4Ice » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:47 am

I have a couple of devices attached which show us as "USB Audio Device". Is it possible to rename these as see "USB Audio Device(1)" and "USB Audio Device(2)" doesnt make routing easy.

Thanks

groovebox

Re: Re-naming "USB Audio Device" in Win XP

Post by groovebox » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:03 pm

I don't know either - but am merely stating "you are not alone".

It is a huge pain especially when you have a couple of MIDI controllers...

anyone out there care to shed some light on this? (I am not a fan of editing the Registry)

thanks in advance.

Respect.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:33 pm

Devices:

BCR2K (Mackie Mode) Originaly was named BCR2K but now seems to call itslef 'USB Audio Device (3)'

FCB 1010 decided to call itself 'USB Audio device [3]

2 LPD8's are 'USB Audio Device' and 'USB Audio device (2)'

Then only device without a personality crisis is my crappy Evo MK461c which uses its own name??!!

Ok, so best write them down in a notepad for future use.

NB: When any new device is added it takes the pace of 'USB Audio Device' and moves all the other previously named devised down the line.

EG: The BCR was my first and original holder of the 'USB Audio device' name.

A couple of years later with a few new devices and its now bottom of the list (My newest LPD8 has taken the top slot.

So, even if you take note of the locations, when you add another device it all farks up :(

WT flying F?

Why cant Live recognise the proper names any more and why add devices to the top line list instead of logicaly adding them to the bottom?

Glad you guys have had simmilar problems (well, not glad...its not like I'm gloating or anything ;).

Blue4Ice

Post by Blue4Ice » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:48 pm

I think the issue is with XP rather than Live. Vista, Win 7 and OSX displays the device name assigned by manufacture.

I wonder if there is a way to edit the names in Win XP somewhere? Is there an .ini file which defines the name of the "USB Audio Device" objects?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:25 pm

It's supposed to work out properly if you install the device exactly the way it's meant to be installed... However, what
actually happens on screen when you install it very often doesn't match the procedure outlined in the manual, and you're
fucked. Either way, the first mistake to avoid is definitely plugging in the controller before installing the driver
(unless the manual states otherwise). Sometimes, downloading the latest driver and doing a reinstall can fix the issue, so
if you're having this problem, go to the manufacturer's site and grab it.

And no, it's definitely not Live's fault; Live sees what Windows sees.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:33 pm

That happens to me only when the device is using the generic windows drivers. If I install the company's drivers the device shows up with its real name. I've found that I usually have to install the drivers for each USB port (at least back in the XP days). So if I install the drivers once, then use a different USB port for the same device later, I have to install the drivers again for that port.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:26 pm

^ That expalins it. Damn sure I've changed the ports over the years. Will have to re-install the drivers and label my connections when I've got 5 mins....

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:16 pm

Absolutely; it's completely ridiculous, but you need to reinstall if you change ports.

Blue4Ice

Post by Blue4Ice » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:34 pm

Thanks I will give it a try. I must label my laptop ports to make sure I use the same each time :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:00 pm

hth, mode:masters dropped some science on this topic a while back.

a post on how Win XP identifies USB devices, why things like that APC show up as USB AUDIO DEVICE and what you can do about it.
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1031649
mode:masters wrote:This issue is not really an issue. It happens whenever you are using more than one class compliant audio or midi device. A class compliant device means that it does not require any drivers to be loaded, instead the operating system has them already and it loads a generic driver.

The problem under WinXP is that it does not give these devices identifiable names, instead it calls them USB Audio device 1, device2, device 3 etc etc. Not particularly helpful when you have a bunch of class compliant devices in your setup. More annoying is that the name assigned to each device can change depending on what order they are plugged in/switched off and which USB port they occupy (this also links in to the 10 MIDI device entry limit issue in XP - see RME site:http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_tech ... q_10entryd)

Microsoft have addressed this issue in Windows 7. Class compliant drivers now appear in the system by their actual name instead of the generic one, which makes identifying each of your USB MIDI devices alot simpler.

IDENTIFYING YOUR DEVICES: Unfortunately I am stuck using WinXP until I get proper audio drivers from Focusrite for Win7, so this may help other XP users with multiple devices to begin with.

First, go to your MIDI prefs and disable ALL control surfaces in the top section. For ALL remaining USB Audio devices in the list enable Track & Remote input.

In a blank MIDI track in session view and select the "MIDI From" dropdown box and select "USB Device 1". Press buttons on all your devices until the MIDI track shows that it is receiving input. Note the device that worked and remember which USB device it is linked to.

Repeat this for USB Device 2, 3 etc etc. You will now know which USB devices are which physical devices.

Go back to MIDI prefs, enable any control surfaces you require and point them to the USB Audio device numbers you found in the previous step.

**IMPORTANT** Due to the way XP handles MIDI devices, the registry will contain references to each device that is plugged into a USB port and allocate one MIDI entry for it. BUT, if you move this same device to another USB port, IT WILL THEN ALLOCATE ANOTHER MIDI ENTRY TO THE SAME DEVICE. As far as the OS is concerned, you have just connected a new device.

It is therefore recommended that for users with multiple class-compliant USB Audio/MIDI devices that you always plug them into the same USB port each and every time to avoid running out of MIDI entries in the registry (see link to RME website above).

I hope this helps some of you out there, as it has caused me massive problems before (e.g. get on stage in front of a crowd and find that the MIDI device limit has been reached and it won't detect my devices in Live anymore!).

I recommend XP users keep a copy of the information from RME regarding fixing this issue in your gig bag just in case. When you need it you're likely to not remember how to fix it quickly.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:30 pm

ethios4 wrote:That happens to me only when the device is using the generic windows drivers. If I install the company's drivers the device shows up with its real name. I've found that I usually have to install the drivers for each USB port (at least back in the XP days). So if I install the drivers once, then use a different USB port for the same device later, I have to install the drivers again for that port.
Exactly. That name will only come up if the device is using the Windows class compliant drivers. If the device comes with a driver, use that driver, and always plug into the same port.

ew

groovebox

Post by groovebox » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:24 am

Darn - I sort of thought it was whack and now I know it is TOTALLY whack!

So - I need to first off reinstall all my drivers for all my various devices (what happened to "plug and play"?) and second it seems I have to name my USB Hub's ports?

Is that right? (I could have misunderstood that part!)

[Am guessing all od this is not needed for Mac OSX?]

If so - then that is sort of OK for me - but may be a nuisance for those people who plug in and out of their hubs all the time.

Correct me if I am out of order.

Respect.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:35 pm

labelling me cables n' usb's this weekend....

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:03 pm

groovebox wrote:Darn - I sort of thought it was whack and now I know it is TOTALLY whack!

So - I need to first off reinstall all my drivers for all my various devices (what happened to "plug and play"?) and second it seems I have to name my USB Hub's ports?
If you want your devices to show up in menus by their actual names- yes, you'll need to install the specific drivers unless specific drivers are included with a Windows install. And no, you don't need to name your ports. Why would you?

ew

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:13 pm

I installed drivers for each of my devices on each of my USB ports that I use. That way I can use any USB port for any device and not worry about it.

Of course, this problem is gone in Win7. :D