Ableton 9: Bezier curves ,better editing & visual refernce

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tweaking Knobs

Ableton 9: Bezier curves ,better editing & visual refernce

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:49 pm

apart from being stable.

i would love that live 9 or 8.2 would have bezier curves for automation.

also when editing :

left mouse button : add and grab notes/autmation points
right mouse button: delete notes/autmation points
middle mouse button pan view.

and use a shortcut for the piano roll options, we use more asdding , deleting and grabbing notes than that menu.

this improves the workflow so much.

also a visual refernce in paino roll :

and some advanced midi tools in piano roll like :

# Piano Roll

* Piano Roll Arpeggiator
* Piano Roll Articulator
* Piano Roll Chopper
* Piano Roll Claw Machine
* Piano Roll Flam Tool
* Piano Roll Flip Tool
* Piano Roll LFO Tool
* Piano Roll Key Limiter Tool
* Piano Roll Menu
* Import MIDI Data Dialog
* Piano Roll Quantizer
* Piano Roll Randomizer
* Riff Machine
* Piano Roll Scale Level Tool
* Piano Roll Strum Tool

Last edited by Tweaking Knobs on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dum

Re: Ableton 8.2: Bezier curves ,better editing & visual refernce

Post by dum » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:45 pm

8.2 ?

You're dreaming if you think they'll give you bezier curves in a .2 update.
Ableton like to drip-feed functionality like that in order to keep their yearly subscription/upgrade/glorified-beta-test cycle going. That's definitely an Ace they're saving for a new version. I agree with your sentiment though, it should be in Live since a long time ago.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:08 pm

IF they drop bezier curves on us anytime (probably not soon), I for one will not consider it a new feature :evil:
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:05 pm

dna598 wrote:IF they drop bezier curves on us anytime (probably not soon), I for one will not consider it a new feature :evil:
and what about the visual reference and advanced midi editing ?

dum

Post by dum » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:14 pm

^^^ even less likely in a .2 update

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:54 pm

dum wrote:^^^ even less likely in a .2 update

ok i changed the title to 9.

oddstep

Re: Ableton 9: Bezier curves ,better editing & visual refernce

Post by oddstep » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:14 pm

are these features really worth paying for? I don't have to produce large volumes of music rapidly so perhaps I'm simply ignorant of what is a big deal to a producer who has to pay the rent through soundtrack work or whatever - but are automation bezier curves or midi note off setting really that critical? I know I wouldn't spend more than £4.50 on the ability to create fades etc using bezier curves. Live has some really obvious voids in its current form - the inability to record live modulation into clips and the lack of time stretching within sampler being the ones with the most history.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:16 pm

oddstep wrote:are these features really worth paying for? I don't have to produce large volumes of music rapidly so perhaps I'm simply ignorant of what is a big deal to a producer who has to pay the rent through soundtrack work or whatever - but are automation bezier curves or midi note off setting really that critical? I know I wouldn't spend more than £4.50 on the ability to create fades etc using bezier curves. Live has some really obvious voids in its current form - the inability to record live modulation into clips and the lack of time stretching within sampler being the ones with the most history.
it's not something that limits what you do, no. but it would increase it's usability, obviously. and new versions should both remove limits, and extend usability.

so best would be your obvious voids + the ops usability enhancements both would get implemented :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:17 pm

all that stuff from fruity loops that youve shown sure would be useful i suppose, but i have got used to the midi editor and it serves its purpose for me.
I do sometime end up having to remind myself to look up at the yellow bar when selecting, so i do see what you mean. But its no big deal.
Live has some really obvious voids in its current form - the inability to record live modulation into clips and the lack of time stretching within sampler being the ones with the most history.
ah, there we go. What he said.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

bridgealantee

Post by bridgealantee » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:47 pm

All I want is a sensitivity slider for slicing. That would be amazing. A new distortion would be nice too I guess.

dum

Post by dum » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:55 pm

oddstep wrote:are these features really worth paying for? I don't have to produce large volumes of music rapidly so perhaps I'm simply ignorant of what is a big deal to a producer who has to pay the rent through soundtrack work or whatever - but are automation bezier curves or midi note off setting really that critical? I know I wouldn't spend more than £4.50 on the ability to create fades etc using bezier curves. Live has some really obvious voids in its current form - the inability to record live modulation into clips and the lack of time stretching within sampler being the ones with the most history.
In essence I completely agree with you. These features are not worth paying any MORE money for. bezier curves should be included since a few versions back.

I don't know how you work, but I'm drawing creative automation data regularly.... not just straight forward fades.... and the lack of bezier curves is a pain in the balls, especially a feature that's available in practically every other mickey mouse audio software including freebies.

[conjecture]
it may also help 'improve' audio quality slightly, as ableton officials (robert henke if I remember correctly) conceded that the 'zipper' effect of how live handles automation is what contributes to people thinking it has an inferior audio engine.
[/conjecture]

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:19 pm

fair enough. I quite like the jump cut nature of envelopes and automation in live - if I want smoothness I tend to record fader movements.... but yeah I guess it would be better if that was an aesthetic decision rather than a consequence of working in Live. multi nodal Bezier curve filter sweeps mmmm.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:21 pm

oddstep wrote:fair enough. I quite like the jump cut nature of envelopes and automation in live - if I want smoothness I tend to record fader movements.... but yeah I guess it would be better if that was an aesthetic decision rather than a consequence of working in Live. multi nodal Bezier curve filter sweeps mmmm.
selecting a recorded movement region, and then being able to adjust a smoothment filter onto it, that would be nice..
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:30 pm

yeah, I've spent plenty of time taking rubbish fader movements apart node.by.node

surely 8.2 can have selected area node thinning in it.

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:55 pm

There is a specific forum for this - the FEATURE REQUEST forum.
Also, it has been publicly announced the whole development team are currently working on bug fixes, so to demand such features in a X.n update is a bit blinkard imo.