MASCHINE & LIVE INTEGRATION FOR LONG SETS WITH MIDI SYNTHS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
supamonsta

MASCHINE & LIVE INTEGRATION FOR LONG SETS WITH MIDI SYNTHS

Post by supamonsta » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:22 pm

Hi,

still trying to figure out how to set up maschine, live and my hardware synths in one live set...

As a workaround to the fact that it is impossible to sequence multiple midi channels from maschine to control different midi instruments each on its midi channel when in plugin mode, as live only receives a blend of maschine's midi output channels, and live has no midi filter utility (seek...),

I'd like to be able to have notes from maschine triggering midi clips in live, that would sequence the synths, so the trigger is in maschine's sequence, and the midi clips for these external instruments are in live.

But : Live doesn't receive maschine as a midi input, and I think I'll need to use a 3rd party app to capture midi from maschine and send midi to live, that would allow to assign maschine's pads/notes to clips in live,

what should I use? I'm on a macbook leopard.

Cheers!
Last edited by supamonsta on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supamonsta

Re: MASCHINE & LIVE : trigger clips with notes from maschine?

Post by supamonsta » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:40 pm

well, tried with midi pipe and controlaid, but the problem is that live doesn't appear in their midi inputs menus... neither maschine virtual midi out??? so I can't route the midi to live, Idon't get it.

????

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:45 am

ok, got it done using :

-maschine standalone communicating with live (sync, remote) via the maschine virtual MIDI output (non available in plugin mode...),

-Jack router to route audio from maschine to live and also my hardware synths into live

then using the "midi output" as "SRC" param for the pad/sound, you can send midi to live (set mschine virtual port to input track & remote)

so it's ok to trigger clips from maschine sequencer, cool, but a bit tricky!!!

I also trigger maschine's scenes via clips via the padkontrol... quite cool too... 8)

anyway It forces me to use maschine in standalone mode, it has its googs an its bads...

Cheers :D

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:22 am

Im confused...Ableton doesn't read Maschine as a MIDI input? I think you have your MIDI preferences set up weird or something...I've used Maschine many times as a controller for other plugins.

dahlailama

Post by dahlailama » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:57 am

There is an interesting and useful thread about that in the ni forum . -> CHECK !!! Maybe it helps on this point. Nice work and a nice example from the guy who post this in my opinion.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:52 am

squelcht wrote:Im confused...Ableton doesn't read Maschine as a MIDI input? I think you have your MIDI preferences set up weird or something...I've used Maschine many times as a controller for other plugins.
dito, i don't understand what monster is on about... works perfect for me... check your general settings, monster.

maybe you set something up odd within the control editor?
i can send on each channel independently whatever i want to live and still jump back and forth between maschine mode (plugin) and midi mode (whatever i decided to control and map)
*** Image GAFM ***

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:05 pm

hy mates,
i can send on each channel independently whatever i want to live and still jump back and forth between maschine mode (plugin) and midi mode (whatever i decided to control and map)
I see what you mean, and, yes, the maschine controller works well, but I'm speaking about using the maschine SOFTWARE, Sequencer, to trigger ableton clips with midi notes within maschine patterns. :wink: And for that one needs to have maschine sending midi to a port available to ableton live midi input track/remote.

I managed it with maschine in standalone mode, but it was impossible in plugin mode (no "maschine virtual midi output" available, and maschine-plugin midi data could not be routed to IAC driver, nor could IAC recognise maschine plugin as a midi source),

anyway, I've almost finished the setup for a new live, the only problem I still have is that because I must use the standalone mode, I can't have more than only one maschine instance... and setting up a long live set with only instance is a bit painful (I just noticed that when you load a saved group, it looses all its sounds outputs assignations, so you can't really use the "group+pattern-Load" option like a "song/deck loader"...

any of you knowing a way to have multiple instances while in standalone mode on a mac?

cheers

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:28 pm

This should solve your problem, I was also waiting for the midi-light light up on maschine events until I found this:

http://www.traktorworld.com/forum/showp ... ostcount=6

You need to "pull" the midievents from the Maschine-plugin into another miditrack by routing as shown in the picture. The midilight will not light up... (unless you use a midicable perhaps, but who wants that ;-)).

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:42 pm

thanks the Lark,

but I understand your workaround is to record midi from maschine in a track of live, but that won't let live recognise the midi from maschine as a remote control midi source, allowing to map notes to midi clips triggering...

am I wrong?

I'll check furthermore...

cheers

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:46 pm

for that i guess you need a midirouter? tom cosm had a video about using clips and midinotes and some midirouting software to get them to control live. that could work?

no further details, just guessing out of my head.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:04 pm

yes but a midi router can't access maschine when it's in plugin mode, since maschine-plugin has no virtual midi out. (I tried with the IAC driver, midi pipe and controlaid)

when standalone, you got "MASCHINE VIRTUAL MIDI OUTPUT" available, and it does the job well, all midi from maschine sounds using 'midi out' in 'SRC' menu will be detected by live as an incoming data (if "maschine virtual midi output" is selected as an input to "track' and 'remote' in live mifi prefs),

via this "maschine virtual midi output", I can have both maschines scenes responding to clips in an ableton midi track with clips containing program changes (set maschine scenes to respond to PC), and notes from maschine patterns that can trigger clips in ableton live.

that's pretty mean, and it works well.

I'd really like to be able to do this using the maschine as a plugin, so I could have more than one instance...

Cheers

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:49 pm

You can chose the midi-batch-setup in Maschine and then each pad sends a different midinote, which you could route to any virtual midi port and map it to the clips, I guess. So after that link I gave you, you still need another miditrack (So there's three miditracks: Maschine VST, midi-from-maschine-to-virtual-midiport, virtualmidi-port-to-Live-clips).

EDIT: Just checked it. IT WORKS!

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:06 pm

You can chose the midi-batch-setup in Maschine and then each pad sends a different midinote, which you could route to any virtual midi port and map it to the clips
in plugin mode??? what virtual midi port are you talking about??? (it needs a virtual port that live can see as a midi source, and that is able to capture midi from maschine PLUGIN...

I'm interested!!!

cheers

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:22 pm

Yes in pluginmode! You are a mac user so you should use anything comparable to midiyoke on pc. In order to receive midievents you need 1 miditrack for the vst 2nd miditrack grabbing midievents from track 1 and routing to virtual midiport and 3rd miditrack reading midievents from track 2(yellow midilight lights up=mapable midievents).

the only problem i had is that midibatch setup for multiple instances seems not to be assignable. Instance1 always gets the same batch assignments as instance 2. So if you hit a pad on the maschine, both instances play the sound assigned to that pad (double sounds).

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:48 pm

ok thanks The Lark ;)

I managed with the IAC driver as a midi virtual "bus".

maschine plugin on 1st midi track
2nd midi track : 'maschine midi to IAC bus 1'
then allow remote and track from IAC bus 1 in live's prefs.

the trick was to create this midi track to grab midi from maschine so as to route it to the IAC virtual midi "bus"...

I don't use any midi batch sound settings at all, just notes from pads that are applied to "SRC"=midi output.

it's over cool, with that stuf I can now have several ableton live tracks fully loaded with midi clips, that will trigger my hardware synths following what I do on the maschine, all these clips being automatically and accordingly triggered by correspondig notes in maschine patterns... and also am able to trigger maschine scenes from live clips, pretty cool, it's like live and maschine were only one single monster (and while having mackie control on the midi controller side of maschine... wow 8) )

YES!!!!!!!

I don't have tried with 2 instances but I'm sure there is no problem, as IAC driver allows more than 1 single port...

THANKS A LOT :D

(when I think I passed all this time trying to set up a WORKAROUND to the VST/MIDI lacking implementation of ableton live... if only the 16 midi channels available from maschine plugin were ALL really available in live... and not merged back together in one useless midi stream...)