Remote SL MKii 25 and Live 8.1.3 (an angry post)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
phazed

Re: Remote SL MKii 25 and Live 8.1.3 (an angry post)

Post by phazed » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:28 pm

I'm a little unhappy with the fact that the 2 rightmost buttons of the transport mode aren't in use. I strongly miss overdub toggle and sometimes metronome toggle that would fit perfect there. And it seems to be impossible to do a manual mapping for that.

dj_blueprint

Post by dj_blueprint » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:54 pm

basically, automap works with Logic and Reason templates but the Ableton one is rubbish..

They basically tell you to map it yourself

BUT

for VSTs, this thing works well, very well, btw, im on the mk1 of the sl25 and I doubt i'll be getting rid of it.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:02 pm

dj_blueprint wrote:basically, automap works with Logic and Reason templates but the Ableton one is rubbish..

They basically tell you to map it yourself

BUT

for VSTs, this thing works well, very well, btw, im on the mk1 of the sl25 and I doubt i'll be getting rid of it.
Ya, automap works well for Logic and Reason because they actually integrate with AUtomap Universal and let you customize their device control, like you can with VSTs, using the entire controller, and the mixer sections also use the whole controller. With Ableton, it doesn't use Automap Universal, instead it's own template which you can't modify and uses only some of the controls of the device.

I'm also real pissed about the mkII's because they don't load automap templates properly that were made on the mkI's. After about 4 emials back and forth with novation, after they told me that they should load fine on the mkII's, and I sent example templates, they finally told me sorry, they aren't compatible. WTF.
Professional Shark Jumper.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:07 am

gusc wrote:That there is NO button to switch between devices in currently selected track AND except for arm button there is also no way to simply scroll through tracks :(
nanoKontrol using Myralfur's script gives you track and device navigation.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:10 am

delicioso wrote:I had the Remote SL too but moved on to LiveControl and Maschine (which has many instant mapping Live templates) and couldn't be happier. Still have the Nocturn though which is irreplaceable because of guille's remote midi script.

that sounds intersting.. can you tell me what makes this nocturn script so nice? i am thinking about getting a nocturn but am not 100% sure yet..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:23 am

3phase wrote:
delicioso wrote:I had the Remote SL too but moved on to LiveControl and Maschine (which has many instant mapping Live templates) and couldn't be happier. Still have the Nocturn though which is irreplaceable because of guille's remote midi script.

that sounds intersting.. can you tell me what makes this nocturn script so nice? i am thinking about getting a nocturn but am not 100% sure yet..
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122831
Along with instant device mapping, you get the faderfox style scene/track navigation with two encoders, quantize, scrub, clip scrub, loop start, loop length, a pitch knob that works on any selected audio OR midi clips, transport control, mute, solo, send/return, tap tempo, nudge up/down, selecting a track to arm and select device, the ability to choose to have it not arm when you select tracks (for live use)...etc. It's nuts!!!

gusc

Post by gusc » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:54 am

avatarspace wrote:Have you asked tech support?
Yes, and they have not replied yet.

Only this...
Dear Ableton Customer,

Thanks for contacting our support team.

We're currently dealing with a lot of mails and therefore it might take us a little longer than usual to get back to you.

But don't worry, your email hasn't been lost and we'll do everything we can to get back to you as soon as possible.
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Core i5 2.8 GHz
16GB RAM
M-Audio Axiom 61
Novation Launchpad
Novation Remote 25SL MkII
Echo Audiofire 4
OS X Yosemite, Ableton Suite 9, Propellerheads Reason 4

gusc

Post by gusc » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:36 pm

Damn, the ranting does not stop here, because I found out one major glitch. Maybe someone could help me fix it? When you load a new project the SL MkII loses any LED/LCD response controls work as expected, but no touch response, no LED ring response, nothing. The only way I found to fix it was to open up MIDI preferences and set "Remote" buttons to Off and then to On back again, also once you need to set "Output" part to Port 2 and next time change it to Port 1. WTF?
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Core i5 2.8 GHz
16GB RAM
M-Audio Axiom 61
Novation Launchpad
Novation Remote 25SL MkII
Echo Audiofire 4
OS X Yosemite, Ableton Suite 9, Propellerheads Reason 4

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:48 pm

I would like to echo all of these rants and add the following:

the speed dial doesn't work in ableton mode. why the hell not?

spektralisk

Post by spektralisk » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:56 pm

Speed dial works only in automap mode. It works through automap server.

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:59 pm

scorp wrote:Speed dial works only in automap mode. It works through automap server.
I understand, but there's no reason they shouldn't be able to run concurrently.

dirtymoose

Post by dirtymoose » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:02 am

have they fixed any of this?

Jacqueslacouth

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:06 am

Some years ago I was majorly impressed with Novation as a company when I purchased a Supernova...My opinion has dropped significantly since then...SLmk1 that just totally failed to deliver on the hype, a launchpad that continually freezes and now SLMkII that still does not deliver the smooth and seamless integration I had hoped for...ah well, three strikes and you're out. The SLMkII really annoys me to look at knowing that I could have bought a controller for significantly less cash and would have been pretty close to equally functional and, really, not THAT much more of an arse around.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:37 pm

dirtymoose wrote:have they fixed any of this?
One thing I mentioned above has been fixed: Automap templates made with a mkI now load correctly with an mkII.

As for Ableton template and "integration", not useful and it never will be, unless they allow integration with Automap Universal like all the other DAWs.

Use Novation SLs for VSTs or for DAW control of any other DAWs besides Ableton. This is where it's strengths are. I find the combination of Novation SL and APC40 to be amazing. Or you could say Novation SL plus LiveControl for iPad (I still like knobs though too).
Professional Shark Jumper.