scratch live 2.1 beta notes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
HeadrickProductions

scratch live 2.1 beta notes

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:31 pm

For those who are interested who may not lurk in the serato forum.

Serato forum moderators have stated that the bridge will be out in 2.1

Since there talkin public beta now my guess is that after the "sprint sales period" that the bridge will be counted down in july

Scratch Live 2.1.0 Public Beta 1 - Release Notes and Downloads

Welcome to Scratch Live 2.1 (21037) Public Beta 1. Scratch Live 2.1 is the latest in the 2.x series, featuring brand new DJ-FX (including Echo Out), plus many more enhancements, refinements and bug fixes.

What's new in 2.1:

New DJ-FX Features

- Added New Ultra Knob Effects. Each FX unit now has two control modes - Ultra Knob Mode and Super Knob mode, both of which can be fully customized. In Ultra Knob mode you can load more advanced effects such as "Echo Out" and "Brake Out" - and just like the Super Knob you can Edit, Create and Save new Ultra Knob Effects yourself.

- Added a "Beats" control to the DJ-FX Panel. This control sets the BPM for the effects unit in Ultra Knob and Super Knob Modes.

- The DJ-FX Knobs now have a new look so you can easily see their position from a distance.

Here is an Ultra Knob Effect Pack to use with Scratch Live 2.1:
serato.com
(Download and unzip contents into your Music\ScratchLive\Effects\ Folder)

Other DJ-FX Changes

- Added new Auto Fader and Fader effects which can be used to create UltraKnob effects. These can be used to create "Post Fader" Ultra Knob effects.

- Changed the Reverser and Repeater effects. Now they have the max 'beats' value of 8/1 and and count parameters 0 - 7, infinite (?) and random.

- The Reverser will now play forward for half its beats time and then reverse that audio and play that back 'count' amount of times.

- Optimized effects and effects selection. This should reduce the chance of a dropout when swapping out certain effects.

- Added popup menu categories for the Super Knob DJ-FX.

- Fixed bug when saving effects presets where it was not obvious that entering a name then pressing "Save" instead of "Save As..." would overwrite the current effect preset. The save button is now disabled in this situation to avoid confusion.

- Fixed bug where tapping a tempo could stop the phaser and flanger resyncing its LFO when switched on.

- Fixed bugs with DJ-FX menu selection being empty if the preset XML was deleted while Scratch Live was closed. (It should have defaulted to an effect).

- Improved efficiency of LFO based effects, especially on start up.

- Fixed bug where the Braker, Reverser and Repeater effects were running at half the specified Beats value.

- The DJ-FX panel will now stay open across a USB disconnect/reconnect.

- Fixed bug where repeater would repeat when chance was set to 0.

TTM 57SL

- The TTM 57SL control assign menus are now categorized to make assigning of controls easier.

- Fixed bug where swapping from the TTM57-SL in Scratch Live to other Rane hardware could result in the Hardware panel staying visible.

SL 3

- You can now use keyboard shortcuts to control the Aux Deck on the SL 3. When using 3 decks, pressing the ~ key on your keyboard will toggle focus between Decks 1+2 and the Aux deck. When the Aux deck has focus, the left deck keyboard shortcuts will apply to the Aux Deck.

MIDI Controllers

- Fixed bug on the Denon HC-1000S where quickly changing groups could result in the LEDs going out.

- Fixed bug where the CDJ-400 could not be set to WIDE pitch slider mode when connected to Scratch Live.

- Fixed Denon HC-4500 bug where pressing the param knob when the crate window had focus would load a track instead of returning focus to the library panel.

- Fixed autolooping on the Numark DMC 2.

- Fixed bug where the INT Mode pitch sliders were reversed if assigned to Relative Control Change MIDI events.

- Fixed bug where switching to the Files of History view using a MIDI controller while on the setup screen could cause incorrect buttons to appear on screen.

- Fixed bug where INT Mode pitch sliders could not reach 0% with absolute MIDI controls.

SP-6 Sample Player

- Fixed bug where the SP-6 mute buttons did not work correctly.

- Fixed bug where SP-6 would not correctly mute low sample rate tracks.

- Fixed bug where SP-6 master mute could never be turned off.

- Fixed SP6 buttons flashing/strobing on mouse down events.

Library

- History for the Sixty-Eight now detects whether a track has been "played" using the mixer fader positions and channel assignments.

- Fixed problems where sometimes Auto BPM would detect half or doubled BPMs.

- Improved the speed of scrolling through the Crates window.

- Improved the speed of Analyzing Files.

- Added the ability to drag a history period or session to an existing crate to add it's contents.

- Fixed bug where when opening the column select menu while Video-SL was open, the column select menu would become unusable.

- Fixed bug where Remixer rules in Smart Crates would be lost after restarting Scratch Live.

- Fixed bug where LiveFeed tracks could be deleted.

- Fixed bug where crate update/eject buttons and edit boxes would not appear in the correct position after horizontally scrolling the crates view.

- Fixed bug where changing selection in the browse container could clear all filtering from the current crate.

- Fixed bug where scanning ID3 tags could empty out non-live updating Smart Crates.

- Fixed issue when reordering tracks by drag and drop while the order is reversed.

- Fixed bug where tracks imported from the Files panel by using the cmd/ctrl + left or right arrow where cleared from the Scratch Live database on exit.

- Fixed bug where GUI did not update after a Move/Copy of files.

- Fixed bug where using keyboard shortcuts to play the next track could lead to a hang, if all tracks in a crate where missing.

- Fixed bug where the history export panel would not display if the Live playlists option was ticked.

- Fixed bug where deleting an inherited track from a crate would cause the creation of a (safe) crate and give a crate reading error on start up.

- Fixed bug where using the "expand library on track scroll" option and opening the column select menu could make the select menu unusable on library collapse.

- Fixed possible rare crash on track load.

Other Changes

- Added a fix for the problem where the SL 1 and TTM 57SL would dropout constantly on new Intel Macs.

- Fixed bug where setting a loop in the 'A' slot would create a loop in the first unlocked slot.

- Fixed bug where sometimes there would be distortion in recordings from the Rane Sixty-Eight.

- Fixed keylock audio glitches on low sample rate tracks (tracks low than 44.1k).

- You can now navigate the DJ-FX and TTM 57SL popup menus with the keyboard.

- Fixed bug where pressing rewind or fast forward with keyboad short cuts would not release on key up.

- Fixed flickering of autoloop selection select controls.

- Fixed hang on Mac when using tooltips and clicking on the color selector.

- The Hi-Fi Resampler is now on by default.

- Fixed bug where decks 3 and 4 did not correctly apply auto gain.

- Fixed bug where playlists progress bars would appear behind History buttons when not in use.

- Fixed issues when changing the selected library panel (e.g. History, Files etc), panels could unexpectedly close leaving GUI artifacts behind (such as buttons, labels etc).

- Fixed bug on Mac when using the Rane Sixty-Eight where out putting audio through a deck could lead to unassigned decks out putting identical audio.

- Fixed bug where horizontal waveforms were off-centre.

- Fixed GUI bug where the red autoloop MIDI assign border would show in offline mode.

Running more than one version of Scratch LIVE:

If you use the same computer you use at gigs with this Beta version, you must keep a known stable version of Scratch LIVE on your computer to use at gigs.

Installing this Beta version will by default overwrite any previous version you had installed, however it is easy to have more than one version of Scratch LIVE installed if you wish.

Here's how to do it:

PC Users - before installing, find the ScratchLIVE executable (by default it is in C:\Program files\Serato\ScratchLIVE, and rename it - for example call it ScratchLIVE 2.0.0.exe. When you install the new version, the old executable will not be deleted, and you can choose which you want to run by going into that folder and double clicking on the executable. You can still do this if you have already installed the 2.1 Beta - just rename the executable to ScratchLIVE 2.1 Beta.exe, and then reinstall the version you were previously running.

Mac users - before installing, rename the existing application file as above (like "Scratch LIVE 2.0.0") - you have to be admin to rename it. (If you aren't admin, you can copy it to another location, and then rename it.) Even though the 2.1 Beta version is already named to indicate which version it is, you need to change the name to stop it being overwritten by the next version you install, for example by changing "Beta_1" to "2.1B1".

Backing up your data:

Before you make any changes to your Scratch Live setup, including installing a new version, as a general rule we highly recommend that you backup your data and your music files, especially with a BETA VERSION. The easiest way to backup your data is to simply copy your Scratch LIVE folder to another location on the drive:

- For the drive that contains "My Documents" (or your Home drive on Mac), just copy the ScratchLIVE folder which is in "My Documents\My Music\" to another location on this drive. Alternatively make a copy of the folder where it already is and rename it by adding the date to the folder name so you know what's in the backup.

- To back up the database and crates from an external drive, copy the _ScratchLIVE_ folder (which is in the root of the drive) into another folder on the same drive.

Downloads:

Remember, this is a pre-release software version, so use it at your own risk!

Ultra Knob Effect Pack: serato.com (Unzip contents into your Music\ScratchLive\Effects\ Folder)
Mac: serato.com
Windows: serato.com

Before using the beta, please ensure that you have backed up your data!
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

S4racen

Re: scratch live 2.1 beta notes

Post by S4racen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Umm i must be blind as i can only find links to 2.0?

Any help gratefully received mate!

Cheers
D

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:00 pm

I got up early to watch the games and ran across it over in serato. I did not look for the link cause I was busy watching. Just finished and was going to download and the links in the forum will at first show an address that look like it will go to the download and then it shifts to the another area. Don't know if the bug fixes were leaked or if they will announce the public beta on mon. I've just tried to stay on top of this to get ready for the bridge....Which surprisingly not that many people are talkin about (my guess is they are mostly crack users of live 8)

Also I don't understand spanish so I don't know what is said except the changelogs are in english

I doubt the change logs are bullshit, if so someone has WAY to much time on their hands

http://www.serato.com/forum/discussion/269859

Edit

http://www.hispasonic.com/comunidad/ser ... 17-30.html

The only things I understand is I guess it's a invite only public beta...Either way we know it's coming soon but I guess that pushes my estimate further back for the release of the bridge. It's coming Soon
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:29 pm

We are talking about this:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index. ... ID=3889319

in addition of some other things about new betas. It seems like Remote Python Scripts are ready for Bridgering with serato but of course nothing more than pure especulation...

If Bridge is only midi remote scripting plus full duplex rewire (like soundflower) it will be interesting but not mind-blowing... the true question is why to take soooome many time in release this when is really easy for Ableton/Serato implement these things.

The worst part is when booth have these ideas from 4 years ago in their mailboxes and users must wait for old ideas...

One more thing, we are registered users but not fanboys.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:54 pm

Mudo wrote:...

The worst part is when booth have these ideas from 4 years ago in their mailboxes and users must wait for old ideas...

One more thing, we are registered users but not fanboys.

then you are my favorite kind of people, Honest....thanks for the info

Hanz_Petrov

Post by Hanz_Petrov » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:14 pm

For anyone interested in the inner workings:

From what I've observed, the _Serato python scripts simply enable two-way communication between Ableton and Serato. Not much different from a hardware control surface script, and similar in some ways to the _MxDCore scripts, which handle the communications with Max for Live. The _Serato scripts even use virtual Framework "button" elements to represent controls.

According to the Ableton website, "The Bridge provides Ableton Transport Control (ATC)... Behind the scenes, Ableton and Serato have implemented a two-way communication link to connect the programs. ATC's timing is ultra tight and it doesn't matter which program you open first"

Indeed, the LiveAPI now has an "libInterprocessCommsAPIPython" module, which is at the heart of the inter-process communications (as the name would imply). Here is a list of attributes from this new comms library module (anyone familiar with the Live API will see the correlation):

Code: Select all

kAbletonActiveSceneIndex
kAbletonActiveTrackIndex
kAbletonClip
kAbletonClipAndDeviceEventQueue
kAbletonClipColor
kAbletonClipControl
kAbletonClipControlCommunicationPath
kAbletonClipControlEventClipChanged
kAbletonClipControlEventClipPlayedDown
kAbletonClipControlEventClipPlayedReleased
kAbletonClipControlEventDeviceActivate
kAbletonClipControlEventDeviceFocusMove
kAbletonClipControlEventDeviceValueChanged
kAbletonClipControlEventMasterTrackStopped
kAbletonClipControlEventScenePlayedDown
kAbletonClipControlEventScenePlayedReleased
kAbletonClipControlEventTrackActive
kAbletonClipControlEventTrackGainChange
kAbletonClipControlEventTrackMasterGainChange
kAbletonClipControlEventTrackRecord
kAbletonClipControlEventTrackSelect
kAbletonClipControlEventTrackSendAChange
kAbletonClipControlEventTrackSendBChange
kAbletonClipControlEventTrackSolo
kAbletonClipControlEventTrackStopped
kAbletonClipControlMatrixOffsetChanged
kAbletonClipControlMatrixSizeChanged
kAbletonClipFileName
kAbletonClipIsEmpty
kAbletonClipIsLoaded
kAbletonClipIsPlaying
kAbletonClipIsQueued
kAbletonClipIsRecording
kAbletonClipIsRecordingQueued
kAbletonClipIsStopped
kAbletonClipLabel
kAbletonClipLoadState
kAbletonClipPlayState
kAbletonCommunicationPath
kAbletonDevice
kAbletonDeviceActive
kAbletonDeviceName
kAbletonDeviceParamName
kAbletonDeviceParamValue
kAbletonEventActiveSceneChanged
kAbletonEventActiveTrackChanged
kAbletonEventClipAndDeviceResetAll
kAbletonEventClipChanged
kAbletonEventClipStateChanged
kAbletonEventDeviceActiveStateChanged
kAbletonEventDeviceLabelChanged
kAbletonEventDeviceParamNameChanged
kAbletonEventDeviceParamValueChanged
kAbletonEventTrackActiveStateChanged
kAbletonEventTrackGainChanged
kAbletonEventTrackNameChanged
kAbletonEventTrackPlayingClipProgressChanged
kAbletonEventTrackRecordStateChanged
kAbletonEventTrackSendsChanged
kAbletonEventTrackSoloStateChanged
kAbletonMasterTrack
kAbletonNumClips
kAbletonNumDevices
kAbletonNumTracks
kAbletonTrack
kAbletonTrackActiveState
kAbletonTrackLevelMeterLevel
kAbletonTrackLevelState
kAbletonTrackName
kAbletonTrackNumber
kAbletonTrackPlayingClipCount
kAbletonTrackPlayingClipLength
kAbletonTrackPlayingClipProgress
kAbletonTrackRecordState
kAbletonTrackSendAState
kAbletonTrackSendBState
kAbletonTrackSoloState
Ableton has built a nice robust set of scripts for the Bridge, but ultimately, there's not much new in there - from a scripting point-of-view at least. On the other hand, the new comms library holds promise for future "Bridges" to other applications...

Best,

Hanz
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/ - an introduction to the Framework classes

Mudo

Post by Mudo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:29 pm

@Hedrick
Thank you. I had told cycling, Serato and Ableton since maxforlive partnership first notice. I'm involved in Ms. Pinky support develop (as a user too and bit fanboyism due she is made in maxmsp and over 7 years old... pretty child with full potential) and I could say you that these ideas are really old but Ableton support people and Serato administratos are really closing towards them. (I call them CLOSErato ;))

@Hanz
First of all. BIG THANKS for your work with LiveApi and Remote Scripting. It is very inspirational.
About these "Bridge" and due your work I could understand better how to work Live in it inside. I will love see Ableton Team open LiveApi for all of us and cycling releasing any runtime too but meanwhile we must continue working in this way. There are a lot of possibilities for make money, instead against user, like top ranking maxfolrive device with donation button and the same for remote scripting.

Let's continue talking. This topic is becoming interesting...

;)

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:42 pm

Yo Mudo how's ms pinky. I've only played with it once, a while ago, and it was at sometime around 4:00 in the morning when things usually get cloudy.

I guess I'm asking is what do you like about it over traktor, serato, torq,

Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:42 am

Well, I purchased Ms. Pinky over the year 2003 because she was the only open DVS, video mixing cappable afordable system (80$) and maxmsp based.
The handicap (maxmsp dependant) was the big potential. The software has changed a lot from first version to actual one and the last improvment is maxforlive device and midi/osc output data from maxipatch AO/AV (the standalone version).

In the classic paradigm of DVS, Ms. Pinky is nearest to Serato than Traktor but user community are getting involved in development and things are changing. To me she has more things to love than hate and she is so nice been open for play with all of us...

If you want to know about these improvements check this:
http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1000

She is a honey feel in "this man's world".

;)

fabrice segura

Post by fabrice segura » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:37 am

where is the bridge 8O ?... i don't see this feature inside the release notes

Mudo

Post by Mudo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:54 am

It is not at release notes but if you read the entire post maybe find some clues.

Mudo

Post by Mudo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:52 am

The Brigde betatest is open.

http://www.serato.com/forum/discussion/272202
;)

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:33 pm

Aha.... Done!!

Cheers
D

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Thanks for the heads up....

Mudo

Post by Mudo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:20 pm

Also new beta from Live ...3b

Check them! maybe you find Bridge beta...

;)