APC60 Built! With Pics and Instructions.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UKRuss

APC60 Built! With Pics and Instructions.

Post by UKRuss » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:59 pm

First: Thanks big time to Digital_Damage who essentially provided all the know-how. All I have done is follow his basic instructions and add pics! :D Cheers mate, you have made the APC60 become a reality. 8)

This literally took me about half an hour, a philips screwdriver, a hex driver to fit the external apc ear screws and a hacksaw blade. Done.

...I can't wait for the first person who connects up a full six set of apcs this way. Awesome.

OK. First here is the finished article:

And here is step-by-step instructions. (note: you will certainly void your warranties and I am not responsible for any damage you may cause to your units. You follow these instructions at your own risk.)

1. Remove the external hex screws that hold the side ear in place.

2. Remove the x-fader knob on your APC40 by simply pulling it off and set aside.

3. Flip your APC40 over and remove the two long screws that holds the x-fader module in place.

4. Lift out the x-fader module and unclip the cable and set the module aside.

5. Remove the rubber feet, they all have screws underneath. Worry not, they come attached by some re-useable lo-tak gear so gently remove them and set them aside.

6. Remove all the screws and lift the base plate off from front to back as the cables connect at the rear to the board, stand it vertically behind the apc unit.

7. Remove the internal screws that hold the side ear on.

8. Remove the ear.

9. Repeat steps 1,5,6,7 and 8 for your APC 20.

10. Nibble off the plastic fins that stick out on the now exposed plastic sides of the apcs with a pair of pliers.

11. There are two large holes that extend out preventing a snug fit of the apcs, gently saw them off with a hacksaw blade or similar.

12. Marry up the two apcs side by side, keeping them upside down.

13. You'll see the large hole at the back that you trimmed with the hacksaw blade is ideal for your first bolt and then there are two more holes that marry up, one in the middle and one at the front although these are smaller and may need making larger to accomodate your bolt.

14. Feed the three bolts in to place and tighten them paying attention to the flex in the plastic, needs to be solid to hold the apcs together but not too tight that it warps the plastic.

15. Put the bases back on both apcs and screw them back into place. Replace all the rubber feet.

16. Reclip the x-fader module cable back into your apc40 and screw the module back into place.

17. Flip your new APC60 over carefully and replace the x-fader knob on the apc40.

18. Rock the discotheque, as my son Zack demonstrates.

Good luck and enjoy!
Last edited by UKRuss on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8O

Re: APC60 Built! With Pics and Instructions.

Post by 8O » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:09 pm

8) Excellent... now you and Digital_Damage should start selling custom "APC-60" stickers to go across the front edge of the unit!

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:13 pm

very nice russ!

re step 14 (the bolt part) could you have put a 'spacer' in between the two units, to add strength and support.. or do you find that they are 'as one' as you have them now?

Hd

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:49 pm

You could do the spacer, but they meet nice and flush where it matters so it's pretty sturdy.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:18 pm

UKRuss wrote:You could do the spacer.
:lol: (that's another thread!)

ah ok thanks man..!! if I eva get an APC20 to go with my 40 this certainly looks to be a great mod!

Thanks for taking the time to do the photos..

Hd

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:47 pm

Me likes.
i have 2 x apc 40,s and will look at doing the same in a month or so when i get time. I may also buy a apc 20 and put that in the centre.
i also have one of these a tascamus 2400 http://tascamforums.com/lofiversion/ind ... 20935.html which is aflying fader 24ch desk with pan/ send fx for the home studio. Two apc 40's and an apc 20 would get me upto 24ch and help me replace this unit. The only thing missing is the motorized faders on the apc's and jog/shuttle wheel. For me there is nothiung like making music with faders on a desk wether virtual or analogue - just need the right interfraced for it.

cool guys !

me likeys :)
Last edited by jamief on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Hello Uk russ,
liking your mod :D .

i noticed that where you put the two screw/bolts on the plastic there are no metal washers. If you were to add a couple of washers one on the screwhead side and one on the bolt side this would spread the load and help stop potientally splitting the plastic. This would help if you are moving it about or taking out to play live. The extra movement could strain the plastic and cause breakage.

best
j :)

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:01 pm

8O Monster set up if you had the two 40s with the 20 in the middle...that would be awesome. post up when/if you do the mod.

Yeah washers a necessity at the back which I did, I didn't on the front one which was the one I photographed. I basically don't move it for the studio so it'll be OK for me.

I think if you are moving it around a lot, the spacer and the washers would be a necessity to ensure longevity.

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:10 pm

UKRuss wrote:8O Monster set up if you had the two 40s with the 20 in the middle...that would be awesome. post up when/if you do the mod.

Yeah washers a necessity at the back which I did, I didn't on the front one which was the one I photographed. I basically don't move it for the studio so it'll be OK for me.

I think if you are moving it around a lot, the spacer and the washers would be a necessity to ensure longevity.
i wonder how they will all live beside each other ok. i havent yet run the two apc's side by side asone is at home and one is with me hear. I also use 2 launchpads and an akai mpk /nocturn kore and various other controllers. Live only allows you to have 6 control surfaces. i have previously written to support asking them to see if they will increase tyhe control surfaces available in preferences. The tascam us24000 takes up 4 of these control slotd to work propererly.

best
:)

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Man. I would completely forget what controlled what if I had more than two on the go at any one time. :lol:

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Sweet ! 8)
Thanks for the walkthrough. Itd come in handy one day for shore !

Dirk Bigler

Post by Dirk Bigler » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:58 pm

This is brilliant! Any chance you could post the same across at www.akaiapc40.com ? Cheers.

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:17 am

I was just looking up my old thread (because I'm selling my set up) and I saw this. Great write up!

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:38 am

Controlled Demolition did something similar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lD1rL-ions
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:50 pm

very nice russ way to go!