Help! Mono Track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
23kon

Help! Mono Track

Post by 23kon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:03 pm

Damn!
I've recorded a bassline from a bass guitar into ableton and just realised why its so quiet in the mix - it's mono!
The clip is only on left speaker, the right (bottom) part of the clip is blank.
How can I change this to stereo or duplicate the track into the right channel?
---

matthews

Re: Help! Mono Track

Post by matthews » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:13 pm

Are you recording into Ableton in mono? That would be my first guess.....

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:15 pm

When you record a live instrument like a guitar or bass (which only has one output) you will want to set up your track in live to record in mono, so that you are getting the same signal in both the left and right channels. Do this by clicking on the i/o button on the right of the screen (in session view by the right of the master fader) in order to show your routing, and then simply click on the "record in" drop down tab on your track you are recording and select mono (not l or r.) I don't have live open, but this is the basic idea. You can then use stereo fx in order to create width and depth, but for guitar recordings you will be always recording in mono.

Hope this helps
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

psyfi

Post by psyfi » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:22 pm

You will want your bass in mono it only has one output after all. the rectify your current situation use the utility plug and rather than have it in stereo set it to ither left or eight which ever channel has the recorded audio in it. It will then only give you that sides audio data but panned to center and everything after the utilitie in the plugin chain will be stereo anyway as Abelton only deals with stereo channels it has no truly mono channels. Which is did some times.

23kon

Post by 23kon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:55 pm

Cheers guys.
I actually worked it out and used a utility shortly after i'd made that post.
Hopefuly this tip might help someone else searching the forum with the same problem :)
---

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:31 pm

anyway, if I was you I would make use of Dangerous Daves advice for future recordings. Cheers.