low CPU load, still gaps & clicks...

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
space6oy

low CPU load, still gaps & clicks...

Post by space6oy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:48 pm

i've switched to ableton live from pro tools and have just updated to 8. whole reason was to have more simultaneous audio inputs - currently using a firestudio and two digimax fs for 24. running on a G5 dual 2.5 GHz w/ 2GB ram. CPU load is only 13 or 14%, but i'm still having occasional gaps & clicks. which totally sucks.

any suggestions?

space6oy

Re: low CPU load, still gaps & clicks...

Post by space6oy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:04 pm

some further info, digging around on here looking for others who've been through this...

audio sample rate is 44.1
SR & pitch conversion is normal
buffer size is only 370, set it that low to avoid lag... is that part of my problem?
driver error compensation is 3.4

warp mode is set to re-pitch

multi support is on
plug-in buffer size is maxed

also it does it regardless of the number of tracks i have record enabled. anywhere from 24 down to just one.

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:25 pm

I have had this on/off problem. At one point I reformatted and was sad to see this not cure the clicks. I even had them when at 1024 sample buffer.
At other times, I have had no problem with 128 sample buffer. I'm working with a dual core PC 3.2GHZ with 2GB RAM. Fireface 800.
I seem to be running more commonly at 512 at this point, since one instrument can usually put me over the edge. Still, even when only running audio (or monitoring audio), I'll have the clicks/pops.
Thus, I went to look at background processes. A big help was deactivating my wireless internet card and shutting down the very active Norton 360 (which I regret even getting). Also, take a look at other system processes and startup through MSconfig, and see if you can get rid of some of the unnecessary processes that run in the background.
I'm sure that you have background tasks running as priority (rather than programs), right?

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:10 pm

well, thanks but if you missed it, i'm on a mac... no norton & msconfig. i've tried having live be the only app running. oddly it also adjusted itself to 512 the other day... that's the default, but it was strange that when i upgraded it kept my previous 370, at least the first time i opened preferences...

haven't tried turning off the wireless. frankly it'd be fucking retarded if that's necessary. going right back to CPU load, with it being that low the app should NOT be having this issue...

Gurulogic

Post by Gurulogic » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:38 pm

Live 8 demo on my intel Q6600/RME Multiface II system gives me a cyclic cpu noise in my audio even at only moderate cpu use...basicly unusable on my system.

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:55 pm

Gurulogic wrote:Live 8 demo on my intel Q6600/RME Multiface II system gives me a cyclic cpu noise in my audio even at only moderate cpu use...basicly unusable on my system.
hmm, mine's nothing like that, but again I'm on a mac and it's the full version, updated from 7, not the demo.

meic

Post by meic » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:21 pm

I have the same problem and also have the full version. I have my next gig on thursday and i`m a little bit in trouble!

tomb21

Post by tomb21 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:37 am

Have you guys tried switching to ASIO4ALL to test whether its your device?
I think this is only for windows though.

I've had clicking on and off but its generally my background processes slowing my machine down.
Saw a few high-end specs in the posts, but have you really tuned the machine for optimal audio performance? ie. limited startup services/virus scanner/indexing/networking?

meic

Post by meic » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:11 am

Yes, i did that! On the other hand i don`t had the crackles with Live7 and the same setup!

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:16 pm

if it's something to do w/ external hardware, i wouldn't know what to do about that. they seem to communicate fine... except for that random, occasional glitch. have to have my firestudio slaved to the digimax, otherwise it doesn't accept their input via ADAT. running midi from other gear to the firestudio communicates fine w/ ableton, at least as far as start/stop/tempo, that's all i've used via that input. also have a kontrol 49 run in via USB.

side topic, haven't looked into it yet, but it's annoying how switching start/stop/tempo from external back to internal causes ableton to jump back to whatever tempo it had been set at beforehand instead of sticking with what it had just been told.