Akai APC 40 help please!!!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
myarnell

Re: Akai APC 40 help please!!!

Post by myarnell » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:22 pm

the registry fix worked for me.

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:38 pm

Registry fix worked for me as well. Here's the skinny:
Due to an apparent bug in Windows it has been observed that a certain registry key can cause USB MIDI Class devices not to show up in software applications. The key is called LowerFilters and is set, for example, by many Logitech USB products.

We have supplied a registry file to remove the offending registry entry. The file is called LowerFilters_remove.reg and comes without any warranty. Try this at your own risk!
Don't think I can attach a file here, but (and this is listed as XP ONLY), same end result by doing the below. Again, disclaimer, this is at your own risk and you can hose your machine by mucking with the registry. Just relaying what was relayed to me by Akai support. I'm not Akai support and can't be accountable if you break something. If you're nervous, back up the registry first by right clicking the {4D36......} key and doing Export. That said . . .

Start
Run
Regedit
Hit OK
Drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

Find LowerFilters in the right hand pane. Delete.

Done. Restart your machine.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:23 am

anyone know if just uninstalling from the control panel will fix this. I do have a Logitech camera installed, so it could be this thats the problem. However I do on occassions use it on this laptop , but at least if I know thats what it is I can install it and remove it when I need it I suppose!

Bit of a pain, but if it saves me reinstalling my laptop then so be it!

Chopper

Post by Chopper » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:20 am

Sorry never noticed the 2nd page....I'll try the reg fix tonight....cheers for all your help guys....much appreciate it :)

J.wong

Post by J.wong » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:08 pm

Workaround found , but I have no explaination for it. Apparrently, the ff settings (or something similar) works.

For some reason APC40 was detected as a 4th controller surface despite me not having any other controllers. Probably because I have 2 audio interfaces? No idea. Also, Control surface 3 had to have APC40 enabled for this to work without the Input/Output enabled. This makes no sense at all. But I at least I got it to work

Screenshot below - fool around with the below settings to find what suits your config/ PC

http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wtfapc40.jpg

The subsequent reboots seem to fail detection again and the toggling around worked.

1st reboot - Control surface 5 ( including I/O ) had to all be enabled. Control surface 6 enabled with APC40 without I/O

2nd reboot - Which is also my current set up - Control surface 5 all enabled and Control surface 4 APC40 enabled only

You get the picture, just fool around with it.

Sorry I took so long as the admins had to activate my account before I can post this up. Hope this helps some of you

Oh, and just to add. It'd be good to have an existing session / demo turned on when you toggle around with the settings. You'll see the APC light up once you've got the right ones activated.

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:48 pm

plug and play my ass.

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:35 pm

hurlingdervish wrote:plug and play my ass.
i wish you the best of luck in your endeavour! :lol:

Seriously though, not Akai's fault. Sounds like Logitech's. It was a bit annoying, but Akai support was quick and awesome all the way through and for most people it does appear to be plug and play.

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:22 pm

haven't bought it yet, just doing research. when i saw it was only 400 i knew i had to get it soon. i seriously expected this thing to be only for bjork and dj bigshot with 5000 dollars to spend on a mixed drink.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:23 pm

Still not working for me. I removed the reg key rebooted....no joy. Then removed all the Logitech webcam stuff and rebooted.....still no joy.

DO I have to reinstall Ableton? What should I try next???

Is there a removal tool for the Logitech stuff...if yes where do i get it?

Ive still not heard from Akai support, not very impressed as I contactted them on saturday.

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:31 pm

Give them a call. They picked up right away and were pretty helpful. I haven't heard from the email form either, now that you mention it.

Alternately, once the key is gone, uninstall the USB Audio Device from Dev Manager, right click the top of that tree and "scan for hardware changes" so it re-adds. Then open Live (should be closed when doing the above) and try again.

moxie38

Post by moxie38 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:14 pm

+1 for me with recognition issues. I'm going nuts cause I wanna play sooooo bad.
My set up is:
ThinkPad SL Series SL500(27466XU) NoteBook
Intel Core 2 Duo P8400(2.26GHz)
2GB Memory,(yeah, I need more RAM) 160GB HDD 5400rpm (yeah, I wish it was at least 7200)
Windows XP SP3
Two USB ports on the front right hand side next to each other, 2 USB ports on the back left, stacked

RME Fireface400
I have a CME UF5 keyboard and a Korg padKontrol(both through USB)
I also have a FCB1010 footpedal through the Fireface MIDI 1 port

I recently(about a month or two ago) had a BSOD issue and pulled everything off my hard drive and then rolled the laptop back to the original factory state.

I have Ableton 8 Suite 8.03 installed(with 8.0 Suite still installed, as well as 7.15 basic---should I uninstall 8.0??) and no other audio programs or plug-ins (though I do plan on reinstalling Reason 3.0 and Sonar 6PE)

I have had the APC40 work once with the other two peripherals attached (Korg and CME)
I have also had it work, but ONLY if the other two were unplugged
Last night I couldn't get it to recognize no matter what port I plugged into or whether the other two peripherals were plugged in or not.
Through it all, the other control surfaces work without any problems:
Also, I have "Track" and "Remote" ON for all INPUTS
My in/out options in preferences are set up as follows:
The CME is: Control surface:none In:UF MIDI IN Out:UF MIDI OUT
The Korg padKontrol is: Control Surface:padKontrol In:"USB Audio Device (2)" Out:"USB Audio Device (2)"
The FCB1010 is: Control Surface: Mackie Control In:FF MIDI 1 Out:FF MIDI 2

When the APC40 worked it was selected in control surface, plugged into the bottom back left side USB port and the In and Out were set to "USB Audio device"

It should be noted that in addition to what I have hooked up, my IN/OUT options in the drop down in preferences also offer a second "USB Audio Device (2)" option for IN/OUT, and a "USB Audio Device (3)" for IN, but NOT for OUT

Last night, I tried the APC40 in every USB port/and tried every IN/OUT in MIDI preferences option to no avail.
Even though the APC40 wasn't recognized in Live(no control) it did show the MIDI signal flashing in the little yellow squares in the top right. As a side note, one of the yellow squares would flash when I hit the track select buttons, the OTHER one would flash when I hit the buttons in the clip launch grid...
PLEASE HELP ME!!

sorry for the long post. I'm at work so I couldn't take screen shots.
God I want to play with this thing soooo bad
Thanks
+1 for plug and play, my ass
and seriously...no troubleshooting tips AT ALL in the AKAI or Ableton manuals???
WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of dreams!
-Willy Wonka

moxie38

Post by moxie38 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:44 pm

p.s. I always have the APC40 turned on before I bring up Live. I also restarted the notebook multiple times
-Willy Wonka

moxie38

Post by moxie38 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:57 pm

All my issues are resolved. The Abes sent me a message saying exactly what Tone Deft is saying here http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 2&start=45and it worked.
I turned off my PC and all controllers, which also meant pulling out my padKontrol since it's powered through the USB port. Turned my computer back on and let it all settle.
Then I turned on the APC40 and waited for the sound to trigger that means Windows recognized it.
I turned on my keyboard. Wait for the sound that it's recognized
I plugged in padKontrol and waited for the sound.
Then I fired up Live 8.03 Suite.
GOLDEN!! All is right with the world.
except I'm at work now, exhausted after playing all night!
-Willy Wonka

alicemusik

Post by alicemusik » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:49 am

+1 here too, I've got my APC40 last week and could't get it to work! On 2 different PC. It's definitely not a plug and play gear and I'm pretty disssapointed because I've waited so long for that gear to be available, I've pre-ordered mine like 3 months ago.

So, well the APC40 is not detected correctly by Ableton I have v8.03 (but also tried 7...all on it), changed usb plug, changed cable, reboot, shutdown, the regedit thing, uninstall the APC40, turn on APC40 first then the other midi gears thing...And nothing is working: I still can't use my APC40. I can see the APC40 Midi Input in red in Ableton midi preference and I can't get the session mode to communicate with the APC40. Then for some reason sometimes the APC shutdown while I'm trying to debug: all the leds turn off!

Is there anything I didn't tried yet or my situation is hopeless?

P.s. I'm thinking about putting that piece of junk on Ebay very soon because it's seriously wasting my time. :evil:

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:20 am

buy a mac.....only joking have you tried the registry fix that has been posted on this forum allready.
Peace + Hugs

Brian