Why is my APC40 sending MIDI notes to my Ultranova?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
ianmgull

Why is my APC40 sending MIDI notes to my Ultranova?

Post by ianmgull » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:17 am

I'm doing a bit of custom mapping of my APC40. I've mapped the main record button to turn on a beat repeat on the master track. It works fine except when the Ultranova is turned on. In the MIDI map window the "note" that the main record button sends is A5. This is the note I hear on the keyboard. I enabled "remote" mode on the APC as per someone else's suggestions to custom map it the way I did. I'm wondering if there is a way to send these messages to ableton, but not back out to the ultranova. I've attached an image of my MIDI prefs (you can also see the Ultranova MIDI track if that is of any use. I turned off its MIDI input as you can see thinking that would solve things).

Thanks!!

ian

Palmer Eldritch

Re: Why is my APC40 sending MIDI notes to my Ultranova?

Post by Palmer Eldritch » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi ian,

When you remote Live, Live gives a Feedback to ALL ports where Remote is switched on (in the midi preferences).

To solve your problem deactivate the Ultranova (input/output) for Remote in the Midi Preferences or find a Midi Channel for the Ultranova which is not used by your APC40.

Cheers, palmer
Live 8_3_4 + 4b7_32+64 -Suite- Max4Live 5_1_9 _ core2DuoMacBook 2*2,16 Ghz + external FW HD _ OSX 10.6.8 _ 3G RAM _ M.H. MIO 2882 + 5.4d208 Driver _ Faderfox LV1 _ Akai MPK25 _ Logitec wheel mouse _______ PeacE will be the SOLution of LIVE

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:58 pm

Change the MIDI channel on the ultranova to send on channel 16.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

ianmgull

Post by ianmgull » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:57 am

Palmer Eldritch wrote:Hi ian,

When you remote Live, Live gives a Feedback to ALL ports where Remote is switched on (in the midi preferences).

To solve your problem deactivate the Ultranova (input/output) for Remote in the Midi Preferences or find a Midi Channel for the Ultranova which is not used by your APC40.

Cheers, palmer
Thanks for the info guys. How do I know which MIDI channels are used by the APC? I've got the Ultranova on Channel 1. My lighting controller (DMXIS) is using 15 &16.

Palmer Eldritch

Post by Palmer Eldritch » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:56 am

Hi ian,

Below is a link to a very useful and free Software for the Mac when one wants to know what's going on in regard to midi.

http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

So you can monitor the midi channel(s) of all the knobs/sliders/pads etc. of your APC and choose an unused channel for your ultranova.
Live 8_3_4 + 4b7_32+64 -Suite- Max4Live 5_1_9 _ core2DuoMacBook 2*2,16 Ghz + external FW HD _ OSX 10.6.8 _ 3G RAM _ M.H. MIO 2882 + 5.4d208 Driver _ Faderfox LV1 _ Akai MPK25 _ Logitec wheel mouse _______ PeacE will be the SOLution of LIVE

ianmgull

Post by ianmgull » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks for all the info. Disabling remote in/out on the ultranova solved the problem but I'll definately check out the MIDI app to get a better sense of what's going on.

THANKS SO MUCH!

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:18 pm

ianmgull wrote:
Palmer Eldritch wrote:Hi ian,

Cheers, palmer
Thanks for the info guys. How do I know which MIDI channels are used by the APC? I've got the Ultranova on Channel 1. My lighting controller (DMXIS) is using 15 &16.
The APC uses channels 1-9 (maybe 10 too, it's been a while)
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Palmer Eldritch

Post by Palmer Eldritch » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:12 pm

ShelLuser wrote:I don't agree with any of the previous comments ;-)
Sorry Peter but I have to disagree with you :wink:

Your informations are not wrong in general but in this case it seems more of a problem that I have described in my first post of this thread.
If you remote Live (via midi > Remote) then Live also gives a Feedback to all the midi ports where Remote is switched on.

You can check this: >
For example, learn the Volume of Track 1 to a Fader of a faderbox which is sending its values on the first midi-port (NOT Midi Channel).
In midi preferences switch the output remote button of your second midi-port to on.
Now use a midi monitor software to check what midi informations are send via the second port.
In my case (Mac) I use the "midi monitor" from snoize (Checkmark "Spy on output to destinations).
Now move the fader of the faderbox and you will see that Live is sending midi informations out to your second port. (The same if you move the Volume Fader of track 1 directly in Live). This happens as well if you learn a clip to remote it and then start this clip.

Unfortunately I do not know which software on Window Systems could be used for midi-monitoring :? - But I am sure that you can build this yourself via max-msp :)

cheers, palmer