Help with time stretching

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
jsrobinson

Help with time stretching

Post by jsrobinson » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi all,
I've looked thru some warping tutorials and have checked out the manual, and I'm not seeming to find the info I'm looking for. I'm trying to timestretch a vocal clip for a trance track. I'm not trying to do anything with tempo points or beatmatching.

I'm hitting an issue where I cannot stretch content for very long at all. I'm 'inserting warp markers' (using Complex mode in the Options), and I can only drag so far to the right, (not even a full bar), no matter what I do. I've seen in Cubase tutorials waveforms can be stretched over a very long period of time relatively easily.

Basically I just want to be able to drag a form out a long distance to the right without getting stopped. What causes the slider to stop moving over? Thanks for any help

siliconarc

Re: Help with time stretching

Post by siliconarc » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:17 pm

it can only stretch as far as 999bpm - if you look at the warp marker, it'll be at 999 if you cant push it any further.
i made a Sampler rack that can stretch samples to up to 60 seconds in length, so it's good for stretching shorter samples, one-hits etc.
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=154956

WooDz

Post by WooDz » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Either that or you're trying to stretch past another warp marker.
Personally I find Ableton's initial warp calculations to not be that good. (even for the most simplest of tracks)
For an acapella Ableton will struggle even more.
I remove all but the 1st warp marker and manually stretch the track to the original BPM (also making sure I've set Ableton's clock BPM that tempo too.) Where I see the beat or beginning of a new phase off beat, I add a warp marker and bring it back in line. I use steps of 4, 8, 16 and 32 bars to keep things in check.

I think if I was trying to get a monotonic vocal to stretch for a long period of time, I think I'd look at looping a section and use some reverb and modulation to add some depth.

DSPI

Post by DSPI » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:39 am

How about trying Paulstretch? Or is that TOO extreme?!