[amo] Transient-killing fade bug

Angstrom

[amo] Transient-killing fade bug

Post by Angstrom » Sun May 24, 2009 1:27 pm

User swordfish noted a bug
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 1&p=909251

Problem
A fade is applied to all audio clips, even when preferences->clip fades is 'Off', and fade-curves are reset using the contextual menu there is a clear visual and audible transient removal. The 'reset' curve is still visibly and audibly affecting the clip.

Reproduce
Drag a kick drum sample from the browser into arrangement - you can actually see the transient being removed after the drag-and-drop action completes

here are some images to illustrate. Notice in image #1 the transient is visible before the drop action is complete, and after drop it is removed.

Amaury

Re: [amo] Transient-killing fade bug

Post by Amaury » Mon May 25, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi,

I think there is a confusion. The original thread talks about a bug that prints a fade in the beginning of consolidated and rendered files, even when there is no user fade. So, in you scenario, delete the fade by hand so that its length is equal to 0, consolidate the clip, and you'll see that a fade has been applied. This bug is now filed and will be worked on.

If there were any user fade, of any length (which you can see if the Fade view is visible, or via the shaded area on the clip box itself, it would be expected that a fade is printed into the consolidated or rendered file, because the user fade is also consolidated or rendered.

Now, you are describing here a situation where the Preference "create fades on clip edges" seems to have no influence. Indeed, as you expect, if the pref is OFF, Reset Fades should set the fade to 0ms. If ON, Reset Fades should create 4ms fades.

But, I can't reproduce the problem, following your steps.

- The "drag image", when dragging a sample from the Browser to the Live set, always shows you the original sample, so, the waveform is as the original.

- When you drop the sample into the Arranger, there can be two reasons why there is a fade: either the "create fades on clip edges" is ON, or, there is a fade saved with the .asd file. To make sure, you can rename the .asd file from the sample, then turn the pref OFF, and drag the sample. It should be fade-free.

- Last, for me, when I change the Preference while the clip is already in the Arranger, the "Reset Fades" command changes behaviour accordingly. That would be the bug you're describing, but here it seems to work well, using 8.0.3.

Kind regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon May 25, 2009 1:08 pm

argh!

Yes, I tried repeating this again today and it works OK.

I can only guess where I went wrong in testing, but I obviously did go wrong. It's pretty weird, because I did try it a few different times to try and make sure I had it right, but somehow I hit on a combination that confused me!

apologies for time wasting.
:oops:

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Mon May 25, 2009 1:52 pm

I'm so glad Ableton finally is adressing the FADE problem.

Also add this scenario: when Fade is off in Preferences
- drag kick (i.e. 808 kick) into arrangement
- copy kick 4 times and select loop
- playback loop. The first kick sounds like there is a fade active.

- insert some silence before the first kick.
- playback from beginning of silence. Now the first kick sounds normal again.

So somehow when playing back from the beginning of the wave there is an audible fade added. Begin playback with some silence before the wave and the fade is gone.