Bezier curves still on the list?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Soma

Bezier curves still on the list?

Post by Soma » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:34 am

I remember Ableton associates (was it Robert?) speaking in an interview that certain features were planned... well I kknow how that goes but figured Berlin was thinking about it.

Tweaking Knobs

Re: Bezier curves still on the list?

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Soma wrote:I remember Ableton associates (was it Robert?) speaking in an interview that certain features were planned... well I kknow how that goes but figured Berlin was thinking about it.

Dont worry asking , nobody answers here

Soma

Post by Soma » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:49 pm

But they did implement the group tracks I asked for last time. Thanks Ableton!

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:37 am

Hi,

Don't believe the hype ;)

Curves for automations are on the list, which does not mean it has a precise plan or date for implementation. The list is long, and we need to prioritize, plan according to a lot of parameters and constrains, user wish being one.

Kind regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

mode:masters

Post by mode:masters » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:22 am

Amaury wrote:Hi,

Curves for automations are on the list, which does not mean it has a precise plan or date for implementation. The list is long, and we need to prioritize, plan according to a lot of parameters and constrains, user wish being one.

Kind regards,
Amaury
I'm glad to hear this feature is still being considered. I have wished for this for a while. Sony's Vegas video editing suite has a perfect example of "curves made simple". On any video clip you can grab the corner of it and drag to create a fade curve. The curve can then be right-clicked for different types of curves, brilliant! Also, when a clip is dragged over another clip the 2 "tails" immediately make a crossfade curve, which can also be adjusted with right click. This type of simple drag editing really, really speeds up the editing process. I could see this same process applied to audio clips in the arrangement view. Also, curve editing in the clip envelopes would be absolutely awesome.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:13 am

Kind regards,
Amaury
dudes, not to be an ass but proper automation tools has been one of the most requested features since like two years now.
how you ever decided to leave it out in the first place when you decided to make live have more daw-like features eludes me completely.
its not a matter of whether or not you should include it and whether or not it has high priority, its a matter of including it or loosing customers.
incase you havent noticed other daws are closing on your session view workflow and this is lives biggest strenghts. when they get closer to that and you dont include these things you will loose customers. people are allready switching over because your daw doesnt cut it any more. either you focus on live performances as the name says, or you focus on adding more daw features, and if you do, then for the love of god use a daw or two so you know what are the most basic stuffs to add.

make it happen.

doremifa

Post by doremifa » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:35 am

yep

I remember one of Abelton guys sad: we don't want to implement every future, cos we wont to still have smth to implement for future versions. If that is the real case of such low Live features implementation rate (comparing to new version spawning).. than it is really really a shameful reason. And it will not lead to any good for the company in perspective. As I see, the idea of this restraint is to squeeze a portion of money from Live's loyal users every year or so. I want to remind Abes about another greater source of profit - a) users that do not upgrade b) users that don't own Live yet c)users that use warezed Live. In all this 3 cases, a big motivation to buy/upgrade would be a big improvement in Live. When user see that developer closely listen to him. At least for group a) and c)

What I personally think about all this, is that if you even implement 80% of features from this forum section, they will still be tons of things to improve. Don't worry about that - you want run low on them. So.. give a thought to a new conception of 'features per new Live version'.

I also wish some other DAWs would copy most Live exclusive features, so that Live would have a nice competition, and started working with some fire up their ass :D (with more energy)

p.s. And give us cheap M4L runtime (49$) or a free one!

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:21 am

Hi,

I'm not sure where you heard such things, but I couldn't disagree more. All we do is work as much as we can to deliver as much value as we can, while trying to 'make sense' in the way features interact with one another. Be sure that all our engineers are busy, and that we in the specification team think hard to have a software that is usable, and more of all, fun to use for musicians.

I'm sorry that the feature you're looking forward to is not in Live. It doesn't mean that it is the end of the world. Look at Pro Tools or Cubase, they survived until now without Bezier curves for automation ;). Not pointing fingers, just saying.

Kind regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:01 pm

I'm not sure where you heard such things, but I couldn't disagree more. All we do is work as much as we can to deliver as much value as we can, while trying to 'make sense' in the way features interact with one another. Be sure that all our engineers are busy, and that we in the specification team think hard to have a software that is usable, and more of all, fun to use for musicians.

I'm sorry that the feature you're looking forward to is not in Live. It doesn't mean that it is the end of the world. Look at Pro Tools or Cubase, they survived until now without Bezier curves for automation ;). Not pointing fingers, just saying.

Kind regards,
Amaury
yeah, then again, their automation doesnt look like this:
look at those smooth curves.
so sexy.

doremifa

Post by doremifa » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:53 pm

Kind regards,
Amaury
Very glad to hear that. I didn't make up what I sad - this words were put out on this forum by a guy from your team. Can't give you exact link for it, but I remembered them well.