Clip Playback Range

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
MarkyGoldstein

Clip Playback Range

Post by MarkyGoldstein » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Clips: Playback Range: In Cubase an Audio recording can start before the Part starts, and you set some sort anchor. Most DAW's have problems with this. In music the sounds often start before the exact start of a bar (they are played a little ahead in time) - this is natural for grooves. Music is not Lego, at least some styles.

So I want to record audio (and midi) tape machine style, and then convert the recordings into clips, but considering that some of the recording was done slightly before beat 1. This means I define a clip, but I would also define the boundaries of the playback based on how much ahead the music is played. It means we have to set the clip border to beat 1 to 4, but the played back audio starts before and ends before. To be able to loop, the size of the loop is still 4 beats.

This is a must have feature for me. I need to be able to record and loop audio that is played ahead, exact in time, and layed back. But still benefit from the Clip grid. This is essential and it's a show stopper for any DAW in my house

Was it described understandable?

outershpongolia

Re: Clip Playback Range

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:58 pm

Yeah, definitely understandable. You want clips with "lead ups".

So far follow actions is the best work around for this try and search the forums I remember a thread or at least a couple posts about this..