Korg nanoKONTROL

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
delicioso

Re: Korg nanoKONTROL

Post by delicioso » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:59 am

epjl2000 wrote:-Bomes, midistroke, and QuicKeys are all for OSX. I'm on PC.. any alternatives?
Bomes is a Windows program. They only added the OS X version not too long ago. Another alternative is to get a Nocturn and pay $30 more for Novation's Automap Pro software (it's a free upgrade if you also get a Launchpad). guille's midi remote script for Nocturn kicks ass and is a perfect companion to nanoKontrol Myr.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:13 am

Oh, and QuicKeys also has a Windows version.

eric_c

Post by eric_c » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:41 am

My thoughts on LPD8 vs Nanopad:

- LPD8 feels better built, but the pads need a lot of pressure to trigger. Trying to do softer notes and most of them don't even register. Can't find any option to adjust the velocity curve to modify this.

- Nanopad feels cheaper but pads require less pressure to trigger so it feels easier to play. Plus the software allows you to set the velocity curve to your liking.

So just for general playing I actually prefer the Nanopad. BUT this is my second one — after a few months of using my first one, half the pads stopped working on it. :( So we'll see how long this one lasts.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:16 am

nanoPAD died on me today.. It's been like 6 months but seriously I've used it like 10 times.. and all I used it for was momentary buttons, so it wasn't ideal, but either way the pads died, so if I had been bangin' on it making beats i'll bet it would've died faster.

Picked up the LPD8 and I'm lovin' it! I love the fact that you can play a beat, loop it and the lights will blink along with the MIDI track, that is AWESOME!

Also, I've always wanted a simple visual metronome.. Well it was as easy as setting up a dummy MIDI track, and sending MIDI notes to the LPD8, so I have it blink across the 8 pads one at a time for a perfect visual metronome.

The funny thing is, I cracked the nanoPAD in half. Something about my fascination for breaking electronics once they're dead.. And guess what? The X/Y still works! So i basically snapped off the pads and it's a small square X/Y Pad now.. Whatchu know about that?

nanoKONTROL + LPD8 = SCORE!

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:26 am

I'm surprised AKAI hasn't come out with something to match the nanoKONTROL.. They got the pads, keys but no small controller, I have a feeling it would be even better than the nanoKONTROL.. and who knows maybe it'd even RECEIVE MIDI! That'd be great.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:15 am

outershpongolia wrote: Picked up the LPD8 and I'm lovin' it! I love the fact that you can play a beat, loop it and the lights will blink along with the MIDI track, that is AWESOME!

Also, I've always wanted a simple visual metronome.. Well it was as easy as setting up a dummy MIDI track, and sending MIDI notes to the LPD8, so I have it blink across the 8 pads one at a time for a perfect visual metronome.
How'd you do that?

My LPD8 doesn't RECEIVE midi.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:37 pm

Set the LPD8 to send out notes on channel 10. Made a simple drum rack. Played around with it makin' beats for a few minutes..

Then I remembered that Launchpad video where the guys beat was being played back with the lights blinking as well.

Made another MIDI channel to receive MIDI from the drum rack, then the output of this MIDI channel was set to LPD8, MIDI channel 10.

So when I made a drum loop it would play the sound and blink the lights..

IDK man maybe you got an early shipment and they changed something cause I just got mine yesterday but I wouldn't think that's the problem.

djsandman

Post by djsandman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:12 pm

Is it possible to map the X-Y pad on the Korg nanoPAD to effects in Live? For instance if I wanted to mess with the flanger, could I map the nanoPAD to the flanger's X-Y controller?

dentaku

Wow, the LPD8 CAN receive midi !

Post by dentaku » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:13 pm

Wow, it DOES :oops: All this time I thought it was impossible but I guess Eric McGregor at Akai Professional was right all along!

I just turned on the OUTPUT for the LPD8 so I can send midi to it to whatever channel it's set to and the pads blink in time.
outershpongolia wrote:Set the LPD8 to send out notes on channel 10. Made a simple drum rack. Played around with it makin' beats for a few minutes..

Then I remembered that Launchpad video where the guys beat was being played back with the lights blinking as well.

Made another MIDI channel to receive MIDI from the drum rack, then the output of this MIDI channel was set to LPD8, MIDI channel 10.

IDK man maybe you got an early shipment and they changed something cause I just got mine yesterday but I wouldn't think that's the problem.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:46 pm

djsandman wrote:Is it possible to map the X-Y pad on the Korg nanoPAD to effects in Live? For instance if I wanted to mess with the flanger, could I map the nanoPAD to the flanger's X-Y controller?
Definitely, it's a little tricky tho.

There is an X, Y and Z control for the pad.. So you'll want to set those to 3 different CC's.

X is the horizontal, and Y is the vertical. Z will turn something on when it's pressed, and turn it off when it's released.

So when you go to MIDI map mode, and you swipe your finger horizontally across the bottom it will always revert back to the CC that is assigned to the Z. Hit UNDO and you should be left with the X. Then assign something to the Y by swiping your hand across the Vertical side of the pad, then hit UNDO to get the Y to be assigned.

THEN, just press the pad and assign the Z to an on/off function. So as soon as you press the pad it will turn the effect on, and then the X, Y coordinates will control the device.. Then when you let your finger off it will turn off the device.

Hope this helps, it's very hard to explain..

outershpongolia

Re: Wow, the LPD8 CAN receive midi !

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:47 pm

The key thing is making sure it's set up in your MIDI pref's.. and then of course in that "dummy" MIDI track that you'll make.
dentaku wrote:Wow, it DOES :oops: All this time I thought it was impossible but I guess Eric McGregor at Akai Professional was right all along!

I just turned on the OUTPUT for the LPD8 so I can send midi to it to whatever channel it's set to and the pads blink in time.
outershpongolia wrote:Set the LPD8 to send out notes on channel 10. Made a simple drum rack. Played around with it makin' beats for a few minutes..

djsandman

Post by djsandman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Thanks outer! I will have to buy one of these now and give what you said a shot.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:00 am

^ Wish my xiosynth had the Z function.. :roll:

ocdizzle

Re: Wow, the LPD8 CAN receive midi !

Post by ocdizzle » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:03 am

WOW just got this working finally!

some things to note... make sure your pads are set to the correct midi notes that LIVE is outputting back to the LPD8... mine werent and so they werent lighting up.

i also have to .00120 or whatever firmware (some people have firmware with 13 in it) and it works.

i also have a user script set up so i can use the LPD8 like a control surface in live... aka it will automap the pads to any drumkit thats highlighted and the knobs to any macro bank thats highlighted automatically.

video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuIixHPjQkE
outershpongolia wrote:The key thing is making sure it's set up in your MIDI pref's.. and then of course in that "dummy" MIDI track that you'll make.
dentaku wrote:Wow, it DOES :oops: All this time I thought it was impossible but I guess Eric McGregor at Akai Professional was right all along!

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:14 am

ocdizzle wrote:i also have a user script set up so i can use the LPD8 like a control surface in live... aka it will automap the pads to any drumkit thats highlighted and the knobs to any macro bank thats highlighted automatically.
I tried this, with no success. It's completely new to me. Any way you could e-mail that or PM me a link? I'd like to try this out and see if it work's for my live flow.