Individual Drum Rack Sends?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Night Spirit

Individual Drum Rack Sends?

Post by Night Spirit » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:13 pm

Is there a way to send individual drum rack channels to sends without bussing through a separate audio track? There are no send controls in the slot for each rack component. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
NIGHT SPIRIT on Soundcloud
MacBook Pro Retina | MOTU Traveler mk3 | Ableton Live 9 Beta | SCI 440 Tom | TR-707 | DX7 | Predator

Night Spirit

Re: Individual Drum Rack Sends?

Post by Night Spirit » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:03 pm

Thanks Levi. I am familiar with that method. What I was looking for is a way to send the tracks to the sends in ableton so that for say reverb I can have just one instance running in the return track and buss multiple sounds in different amounts to that one instance. Its pretty standard operating procedure and im not sure why the drum racks are lacking this capability (best I can see).
MacBook Pro Retina | MOTU Traveler mk3 | Ableton Live 9 Beta | SCI 440 Tom | TR-707 | DX7 | Predator

DJMillsy

Post by DJMillsy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 am

As far as I know it's not possible to do what you want. One work around though would be:

Set up a send / return in the drum rack
Drop in an effect with a dry / wet control and set to 100% dry
Set the output of this chain to your track return containing the reverb.
Now you can use the send controls for each chain in the drum rack to send a signal to your reverb.

Might be a better way but this should be fairly easy to run with.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:27 am

DJMillsy wrote:As far as I know it's not possible to do what you want. One work around though would be:

Set up a send / return in the drum rack
Drop in an effect with a dry / wet control and set to 100% dry
Set the output of this chain to your track return containing the reverb.
Now you can use the send controls for each chain in the drum rack to send a signal to your reverb.

Might be a better way but this should be fairly easy to run with.
I wouldn't necessarily call it a workaround - that's pretty much how you do it

except just delete the return device after you create and route the return chain. then it's just passing signal to the main return.
Last edited by longjohns on Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJMillsy

Post by DJMillsy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:32 am

I think the OP wants to be able to use the same reverb on the drums from his drumrack and any tracks outside of this.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:51 pm

yeah,

and that's how you do it

definitely not a perfect system (maybe Angstrom will come in here and explain more about why it sux)

DJMillsy

Post by DJMillsy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:25 pm

ha ha lets see if he can resist.......

Night Spirit

Post by Night Spirit » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Sooo, I decided to remedy this problem by creating a separate drum rack for Kick, snare/claps, cymbals and percussion so that each of those 4 racks can be individually tweaked and have their own sends. I also grouped all of the 4 groups together so that there is a main drum group that I can put some parallel processing or effects onto all the drum sounds.

Dreamr

Post by Dreamr » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:13 pm

Nonsense all of you :p

I was sitting on my copy of 7 waiting for track grouping, which of course still didn't quite solve my problem. 1 midi track per drum rack so I can sequence my drums nicely, but have audio out returns to duck from the kick, or reverb specific hats and such.

After poking around trying to figure out another issue I was solving I came across my answer, works in 7 and 8.

Here is an ALS to follow along.

Create a midi channel
Drop any drum kit on it
Create a basic pattern
Click on the drum kit
Open up chain routing (2nd from the top icon on left side of kit under macros)
Open up sends and returns (2 bottom left icons labeled s and r)
Open up I/O (just above the rack send and returns)
Now drag your FX to the new box under the chains and on the chain for the drum sample/synth turn up the send

To create a return for your kicks for use in sidechain compression create a normal return track, name it Pumper, click the channel kill (labeled capital send letter and yellow). Now on the returns panel in the drum rack create a new chain by right clicking and create chain. Route that chain to your global return Pumper on the right hand dropdown (opened from i/o).

On your kick chain in the rack turn up the send value to your new rack send. Now create another midi channel and drop a bass or synth in. Throw a compressor on the new channel and set the thresh to -60, the attack to 161ms, the release to 75ms, and the ratio to 12. Create a 1 bar clip with just one full bar note and trigger the two clips together!

Hope it helps someone out.
I am Dreamr
Electro | Complextro | Fidget | Dutch | House
Download Free Electro House Mixes and Remixes!
www.dreamr.xxx

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:12 am

huh

well, since angstrom never showed up

afaik there is only one real problem when sending drum rack chains to main returns. if you mute the drum rack chain, it still sends to the return. i.e. the DR sends are pre-fade only

all this other routing stuff is easy enough I think.