RELEASE: Rus-FX (Live Performance FX) Version 2.0 [MAC/PC]

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
AudioRuso

RELEASE: Rus-FX (Live Performance FX) Version 2.0 [MAC/PC]

Post by AudioRuso » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:59 pm

It has come to my attention that I made a HUGE mistake in the previous version. By using a limiter on the effects rack I actually allowed the original signal to bleed through which ruined the racks. I didn't even notice at first...

Anyways, so in case you don't know, this is a very complex effects rack that is designed to be used in live performance. It is specifically designed to be controlled by xy pad based controllers (kaoss pads are particularly interesting), and even some joystick controls. What you should have for this rack is something to control the x axis, the y axis, the touch message and something to control which effect is selected (at least a rotary encoder, but a set of buttons set to send a midi message with a specific value is best)...

If you do not have an xy pad control you can get away with setting up two knobs to control the axis, and a button to trigger the fx. It still works fairly well.

This release has the same, but more tame effects. I am working on yet another version to include other controls and new effects but have found this one very satisfactory for our purposes. Also note most of these effects are tempo synced so it's fairly easy to get used to and use.

Also note, these effects are designed to be used on a return track so you can send any track to them and it works like a magic send so you can gradually send the track to the fx to control how much effect is present.

FX List:
  • HPF Bounce
    LPF Bounce
    BPF Spin
    Pseudo Flange
    Flange Spin
    Pseudo Stutter
    Stutter
    Stutter 2
    Vocco
    Vocco 2
    Frequenzo
    Noisia
    Noisier
    Pitcho
    Graino
    Cry Baby
    Flangiro
    Flangiro 2
The best thing to use to select the effects is to have a 16 pad controller send cc messages from individual pad with a preset value. This way you have easy access to them.... also you can use midi ox to translate the Program Change message that comes form the kaoss pad into a Control Change.... this way you can use the standart effect selector including the 8 shortcut buttons on the kaoss pads.

Another thing is: Some xy pad controllers (like korg padKONTROL) ONLY send the x and the y messages, but no touch message. This is ok, you can either map the touch message as one of the buttons, or the y axis (but you can only use the top half of the pad)..... OR you could midi map it to the x axis and then manually set the active range so it turns on sooner when in midi map mode.

Setting up Kaoss Pad 2:
Note: I do not have other kaoss pads so you're on your own.
When you have a kaoss pad, usually it sends a lot of unneeded midi messages. There is an easy way to filter them to make future midi mapping easy.

Follow these steps:
1. Press and hold rec/stop + tap/bpm until the display blinks and all the buttons light up.
2. Make sure that only buttons 4-9 are lit and press buttons 1-3 to disable them. This disables the three extra screen messages that are not useful for using kaoss pads as a controller.
3. Press and Hold Rec/Stop for a couple of seconds until it blinks. (this saves the settings, don't worry what we did does NOT affect how the kaoss pad works... only the midi it sends out)
4. Touch the zy pad to return to normal operation. Now you can easily midi map those messages.

Download:
http://audio-ruso.com/Ruso-FX%202.0.zip

Older Demo:
http://audio-ruso.com/Rus-FX.mp3

Enjoy, feel free to tweak it. This is a fun project I have two of these in my live set :-D

-Ruso

Slightlydelic

Re: RELEASE: Rus-FX (Live Performance FX) Version 2.0 [MAC/PC]

Post by Slightlydelic » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:34 am

very very nice, i havent got the PK installed at the moment but its working realy well auto mapping on the APC.

my only critcism would be having the effect select on a knob is a little sensative as it seems to use 1-16 rather than each effect having a short range, so a full range of mation could be used.

obviously if mapped to triggers or keys its a none issue.

AudioRuso

Post by AudioRuso » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:02 am

Yea it was really designed to be used with a controller with 16 pads where each pad will send a cc message with a specific value... most of them allow you to do this...

It works well enough with a rotary encoder, I can see why it'd be too sensitive with a regular knob though :)

Thanks for trying...

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:38 am

Slightlydelic wrote:very very nice, i havent got the PK installed at the moment but its working realy well auto mapping on the APC.

my only critcism would be having the effect select on a knob is a little sensative as it seems to use 1-16 rather than each effect having a short range, so a full range of mation could be used.

obviously if mapped to triggers or keys its a none issue.
If you expand the rack to show the chain selector, place the cursor in the area where each effect is mapped to one cc, then right click and select distribute ranges equally.... End of too much sensitivity!

Top effects again Russ, a mainstay in my live set - up.....!

Cheers
D

AudioRuso

Post by AudioRuso » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:08 pm

Good to hear... would it make sense to add a couple more controls to it like FX Tail amount?

Also, what kind of fx would you guys like to be added to the rack?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Well i've got two unused knobs on the padkontrol that could be utilised if you macro'd the controls to the rack?

Sounds good to me!

cheers
D

JIMFUSO

Post by JIMFUSO » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:38 am

Great Effect Rack. So simple but so powerful. It's inspired me to recreate my smart knob effects and put them into an XY set up.

thanks again.

jim
JIMFUSO Ableton Live 8.0.4, Akai APC40, Korg Zero 8, Korg PadKontrol, Korg Nano Series, Novation SL25, Traktor Pro, Vestex VCI-100, Traktor Scratch Duo

AudioRuso

Post by AudioRuso » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:43 pm

Thanks man, I was originally gonna do it with knob controls... then was gonna do pads so the pressure change would turn a knob.... but I decided the best would be to do an xy pad because you have so much more control

:-D

marc.nostromo

Post by marc.nostromo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:39 pm

Another thing is: Some xy pad controllers (like korg padKONTROL) ONLY send the x and the y messages, but no touch message
Actually, using the editor you can configure the pad to send one. It's just inactive by default.

M.

jaaaku

Post by jaaaku » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:18 pm

Maaaaan, this thing is incredible!

AudioRuso

Post by AudioRuso » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:01 pm

marc.nostromo wrote:
Another thing is: Some xy pad controllers (like korg padKONTROL) ONLY send the x and the y messages, but no touch message
Actually, using the editor you can configure the pad to send one. It's just inactive by default.

M.
Hey great tip! I did not know this or think to try it... thanks a bunch!

Thanks for comments.

AudioRuso

Post by AudioRuso » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:51 am

Hmmm no you can't :-/ unless I'm missing something... you can have it send the same message with the value of zero though :)

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:56 am

im so glad i reinstalled the pad kontrol, 8O it realy makes a difference having it on the X-Y.

thanks again.

marc.nostromo

Post by marc.nostromo » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:07 am

AudioRuso wrote:Hmmm no you can't :-/ unless I'm missing something... you can have it send the same message with the value of zero though :)
Yes you can. It's called X/Y pad common. You can specify specific CC & values for on & off.

M.

AudioRuso

Post by AudioRuso » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:10 pm

Hmm cool, let me try to find it again! :)