A+B on X-Fader to FX Returns

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Japeseye

A+B on X-Fader to FX Returns

Post by Japeseye » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Hello all,

Been using ableton for a few years now but I'm yet to find a way to do what I want without running two instances of each effect, thus reducing CPU dramatically.

I'm DJing using Audio tracks 1+2. Both route audio to sends only. There are 4 return tracks, each set to the crossfader: Dry A, Wet A, Dry B, Wet B. This means I can turn effects on or off for each track and that the effects themselves can be crossfaded along with the track's signal. All my knobs and buttons on my BCR control parameters for effects on both Wet A and Wet B returns to keep things simple.

This means, for example, I have one instance of Beat Repeat on Wet A and one on Wet B, both controlled by the same knobs. Ideally I'd like just one instance but still be able to X-fade from, for example, Wet A to Dry B and have the Beat Repeat on A fade away with the crossfader.

Sorry for my turgid explanation. Does anyone know how to do this, or should I elucidate further?

Cheers
Jonny

Japeseye

Re: A+B on X-Fader to FX Returns

Post by Japeseye » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:58 pm

Has this question been answered before?
I found stuff involving multiple outs from the soundcard into a mixer. I'm keen to keep it all inside the computer though.

Any ideas or help very gratefully received. Many thanks.

ionic

Post by ionic » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:24 pm

i may not be understanding you correctly. but i have an idea that may or may not work... have you tried implementing dry wet knobs (by mapping the chain selector to a macro) into the effect rack itself?

Japeseye

Post by Japeseye » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:29 pm

I don't think I explained myself very well. Picture tells a thousand words and all that:

Deck 1 can send audio to Return A (Dry 1) or Return B (FX 1).
Deck 2 can send audio to Return C (Dry 2) or Return D (FX 2).
Dry returns contain no effects. FX 1 & 2 returns have identical effects set up on each.

If I set the A+B for the crossfader to Deck 1 and Deck 2 rather than to the returns and had one dry return and one FX return I couldn't apply different effects to both tracks and crossfade seamlessly between them.

Hope this makes it a little clearer. Basically I'd like to just be running one instance of each effect rather than two on different returns, but I can't think of a way to crossfade smoothly with any of the (very limited) ideas I've come up with.

dtlj

Post by dtlj » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:47 pm

if you do it like this you still get dry/wet and you can add dummy clips