MIDI files preview in Live's browser...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
alvarog

MIDI files preview in Live's browser...

Post by alvarog » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:19 pm

hi there,

i wonder myself if there is a way to preview midi files in browser with some VST or live device instead of that nasty sound... if not, Abes please could you implement a nice solution on future versions?

For example, i have a folder with lots of midi drum tracks, and want to preview those, right in the browser (before drag&drop into the set) using some drum rack device of my choice, or even a VSTi (like Toontrack EZdrumer for example). Currently this is not possible in Live 8, am i right?
AMD Phenom II X4 | 8GB DDR3 | Raptor 10.000rpm RAID 0 | Win7 Ultimate 64bit | Suite 8 + VSTis | RME Fireface400 | KORG MicroKONTROL | 7 string custom electric guitar

tlennon

Re: MIDI files preview in Live's browser...

Post by tlennon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:09 am

Yes I agree. Would be nice if you highlight the track with the VSTi or Live inst on it and the midi preview uses it. I thought it was just me.
Terrence Lennon

alvarog

Post by alvarog » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:14 pm

tlennon wrote:Yes I agree. Would be nice if you highlight the track with the VSTi or Live inst on it and the midi preview uses it. I thought it was just me.
Ok, I have made a thread on Feature Wishlist forum if you want to vote for it / suggest solutions for that:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=137789

Greetings.
AMD Phenom II X4 | 8GB DDR3 | Raptor 10.000rpm RAID 0 | Win7 Ultimate 64bit | Suite 8 + VSTis | RME Fireface400 | KORG MicroKONTROL | 7 string custom electric guitar

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:17 pm

One forseeable problem with this is that if you chose a cpu/ram demanding vst for preview, it could really tweek out your live performance situation. I think it would work out much better if you just made accompanying audio clip previews for reference.

alvarog

Post by alvarog » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:30 pm

yur2die4 wrote:One forseeable problem with this is that if you chose a cpu/ram demanding vst for preview, it could really tweek out your live performance situation. I think it would work out much better if you just made accompanying audio clip previews for reference.
It is the way that it already works, right?

Of course, it is your choice to assing a heavy device or VSTi to preview midi clips; obviously for the dj that would not be the best choice, but at least you could choose, and for composers / producers should be a great tool IMHO. Live's today user base does not stick in dj performance only.