Unable to sync MPK49 arpeggiator to Live 7

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
stockwell

Unable to sync MPK49 arpeggiator to Live 7

Post by stockwell » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:42 pm

I've seen a few discussion on here about this problem but don't see a solution... Can anyone tell me how to sync the MPK49 arpeggiator to Live 7?

I've set the MPK49 Midi Clock to 'External' in the Global settings and have set the MPK to 'Sync' on the Live MIDI Preferences screen. Live is indiciating that it is sending external sync.

The MPK is connected to my Mac Book Pro via USB and is working fine with Live in terms of all the other Midi mapping. I've also tried connecting the MPK via a MIDI cable (via a MOTU 8Pre) but that doesn't fix it.

The MPK arpeggiator works fine with its own internal sync but will not allow Live to run it on external sync.

Can anyone help? Much appreciated.

thomas_le

Re: Unable to sync MPK49 arpeggiator to Live 7

Post by thomas_le » Sat May 15, 2010 7:38 am

Out of the box the MPK49 will not allow you to sync its arpeggiator to external therefore arp doesnt work. Arp works when sync is set to internal. Work around is you can manual tap tempo to match up bpm to external seq. or you can edit tap button with the rotory to dial in the tempo.

zodicko

Post by zodicko » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:04 am

Hope it's not too late to reply on this...just bring Preferences up and set "Sync" on for all output ports of your MPK. Press "Play" in Live and you should see a red dot blinking on the top left corner next to "EXT". You should be able to do all the Note Repeat, Arp tricks by then. :wink:

rhoadsnroses82

Post by rhoadsnroses82 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:23 pm

I was having this issue as well, and it is true that setting the sync output in ableton's settings enables the MPK's arp and note repeat functions. However they ONLY work when the play button is engaged (or record button is pressed). however what if I just want to play the arp or note repeat function freely without playing on top of an already established loop and/or without recording it? It seems this should be possible but I haven't found a way to do it.