[Inside] Music Theory Template

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Evengy

[Inside] Music Theory Template

Post by Evengy » Sat May 28, 2011 10:42 pm

hey guys!

im ok with my music theory skills but i can´t memorize all chords and scales. i wanna stop to do the same theory things again again and again. i choose a tonic and im searching for the whole scale and chords so many times. today i did a lot of mouse works to finish a template with all major scales, modes and many chords where i can jam around. i know there are a lot more chords & scales but i think its enough atm and you can create million of songs with this template ;) and yes.... we can do music without having any templates but maybe it inspires you when you jam with the clips :D

explanation:
- sorry for my english... im from germany :D
- created with suite v.8.2.2
- i added a simple piano sound from suite´s "electric". if you don´t have ableton suite so please try your own synth -> i suggest to use a piano without any effects
- i used chords which are established -> i can create a template which is xx times bigger than actually but it makes no sense
- try inversions of the chords -> in every chord / clip you can copy the used notes and move them up or down in octaves (shift + up or down) -> works as well without doing a copy
- if you find failures or you have ideas what i can add to the template feel free to post ist ;)
- try to use other sounds and play different rhythms with the chord degrees -> i said that i deactivated the quantization so you can play the clips very fast
- i can´t create clips for every exception like playing a b7 with a major chord or something like that -> add the note yourself :D -> i used only chords which fits the scale (i hope...)
- im not a professional so please don´t slap me if something is wrong *g*
- i think i add minor scales in the near future because i like logical orders -> maybe its confusing for beginners when they read "c major" is "a minor" etc.
- if you have questions with reference to the content so please ask me.... i try my best to answer your questions
- map the chords to the keyboard to easily create progressions (thx vitaminB)

1st part:
1) every midi track is a major key -> "c major" is "a minor" as well -> i began to add some harmonic minor chords and scales but it is a lot of work and i don´t know this scale/chords very good (i have some problem with them)
1a) scales are quantized
1b) chords aren´t quantized / looped to change them quickly and jam around
1c) first two clips -> pentatonic and blues scale -> pentatonic works easy with every chord in the midi track -> try them as arps or other rhythm elements -> they will fit very well
1d) third clip -> major scale which is called ionian when i speak about modes (major = ionian, minor = aeolian)
1e) dorian, phrygian, lydian, mixolydian , aeolian, locrian are modes in the key too

2nd part:
2a) triads -> scale degrees from I to VII
2b) normally the 5th degree is a dominanth chord -> try to play the 5th degree from part 3 to increase the tension

3rd part:
3a) 4-note chords with added 7th -> minor 7 on minor chords and major 7th on major chords to fit the scale
3b) degree IV -> dominant 7th
3c) degree VII -> diminished chord

4th part:
4a) 5-note chords with added 9th -> minor 9 on minor chords and major 9th on major chords to fit the scale

5th part:
5a) 6-note chords with added 11th

6th part:
6a) sus 2 chords

7th part:
7a) sus 4 chords

8th part:
8a) powerchords which are neutral because they have no 3rd

i hope you need something like that and it inspires you or it helps you to make the music you hear in your head ;)

best wishes
evengy

Live 8 Template: http://sdrv.ms/V62PKH
Suite 8 Template: http://sdrv.ms/S2KEXM (only difference is the added piano sound from electric -> add your own vst)

Last edited by Evengy on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:53 am, edited 5 times in total.

vitaminB

Re: [Inside] Music Theory Template

Post by vitaminB » Sun May 29, 2011 10:58 am

That's a great piece of work! Thanks for your effort.
It works really well if you map the scenes to notes on your keyboard and then solo the track for whatever root note you want to play. Makes it quick to work out a key and develop some nice progressions :)

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Sun May 29, 2011 11:01 am

Thanks for the work and share !!! :wink:

Danke alter !!! :mrgreen:
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Sun May 29, 2011 11:35 am

vitaminB wrote:That's a great piece of work! Thanks for your effort.
It works really well if you map the scenes to notes on your keyboard and then solo the track for whatever root note you want to play. Makes it quick to work out a key and develop some nice progressions :)
thx vitaminB! nice idea with the keyboard mapping :D

btw.. i had some problems with the dom and dim chords with added 7, 9 or 11. i don´t know hem correctly and i did´t found much information that they are correct. so if anyone has the skills pls post it here ;)

@simpli.cissimus
no problem :D this night i dreamed a lot about chords, scales and keyboard shortcuts =D

chimeres

Post by chimeres » Sun May 29, 2011 12:39 pm

Hello.
This template seem to be awesome!!
But I have only Live 8 and not the suite version...
Could you upload the same template without the suite content?? It would be very cool!
Thanx

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sun May 29, 2011 12:51 pm

This is great work, thanks! I'm going to have fun playing with this.
Evengy wrote:...this night i dreamed a lot about chords, scales and keyboard shortcuts =D
I know that feeling well. (check out link in sig)
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Sun May 29, 2011 1:31 pm

chimeres wrote:Hello.
Could you upload the same template without the suite content?? It would be very cool!
Thanx
thx man! you will find the link in the first post. i deleted the piano sound from suite content so you need to use your own vst to hear something!

@crumhorn
nice work man! i play e-guitar so it is very useful :D

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sun May 29, 2011 1:46 pm

Thanks.

I did it for my own use originally and learned a lot about scale theory in the process. My own guitar playing has improved immensely since I started studying the patterns.

I was a bit nervous about spamming your thread so I'm glad you'll find it useful.

I'm going to check out your template in detail later. Will try to contribute something if I can.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Sun May 29, 2011 2:34 pm

crumhorn wrote:Thanks.

I did it for my own use originally and learned a lot about scale theory in the process. My own guitar playing has improved immensely since I started studying the patterns.

I was a bit nervous about spamming your thread so I'm glad you'll find it useful.

I'm going to check out your template in detail later. Will try to contribute something if I can.
spam as much as you want :D i edit all important things in my first post ;)
checking my template would be nice. thanks for your help!

chimeres

Post by chimeres » Sun May 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Evengy wrote:
chimeres wrote:Hello.
Thanx
thx man! you will find the link in the first post. i deleted the piano sound from suite content so you need to use your own vst to hear something!
I have download the project , but , when you doesn't have the suite version you can't save projects with suite content
I've tried to remove every piano etc... but I can't save ...it's the same thing with amps etc.Really borring when you doing colabs with people having suite.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Mon May 30, 2011 12:44 pm

hmmm that really sux. i will try to export them as racks or something if it is possible. i answer when im at home ;)

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Mon May 30, 2011 4:55 pm

hey chimeres,

pleasy try this one. i deleted project infos etc. and i hope it will work: http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/16147340/file.html

please let me know!

chimeres

Post by chimeres » Tue May 31, 2011 11:48 am

You forget one instrument in your project... but finaly i've managed with a friend and a suite version.
Thank you again for this great great work!

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Tue May 31, 2011 12:09 pm

no prob! i will add the instrument again, thanks for your advice :D
what did your friend do that you can save it now?

chimeres

Post by chimeres » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Evengy wrote:no prob! i will add the instrument again, thanks for your advice :D
what did your friend do that you can save it now?
Just remove the last instrument you forgot to remove!
Thanks again