AbleTEN Live Packs - dragging .alp file asks for location?!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
[nis]

Re: AbleTEN Live Packs - dragging .alp file asks for location?!

Post by [nis] » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:16 pm

sidownes wrote:I always wondered whether I was missing something in terms of importing projects to the library... looks as though I wasn't. So you can't import a user pack/project into the Library as the library is basically a project?
Yes, the library could be considered as one large project, indeed. That's why it's not a good idea to save your projects inside the library's root folder (this would break the "collect all and save" function). You can, however, import the presets and sounds of a project into your library. Just locate the project folder in Live's file browser, right-click on it and choose "manage project". Then, in the file manager at the right, choose "export to library -> export".

Best,
Nico
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:21 pm

Tone Deft wrote: Nico or anyone in the now - if we install a Live Pack with Live 8.1, would that content be readable by Live 8 or Live 7?

IOW are Live pack installations subject to being only forward compatible?

I'd try it out but shutter at the thought of screwing up my Library. my guess is that this isn't a problem but I rarely use older versions of Live. just curious.
Just like Live sets and presets, Live packs are not backwards-compatible, i.e. the Able10 packs will not work in Live 7. It might be possible to install them, but opening the set or the presets would not work. Note that projects created with 8.1 will not work in older Live 8 versions either.

Cheers,
n.
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:23 pm

ahhh ok, makes sense. thanks!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:44 pm

thanks for clarifying all that Nico!

so yesterday I saved a Live pack to my Library then just deleted it. is my Library and the "collect all and save" feature "broken" now or am I okay since I deleted the Live pack?

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:56 am

RCUS wrote:thanks for clarifying all that Nico!

so yesterday I saved a Live pack to my Library then just deleted it. is my Library and the "collect all and save" feature "broken" now or am I okay since I deleted the Live pack?
It would only be "broken" for projects that reside inside the library, so you should be ok.

Best,
n.
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:16 am

Gotcha! Thanks again!

Well, I think we learned alot from this thread today.... Now, if only we could convince the developers to make "lock to current control surface" MIDI mappable, and we got a Max4Live runtime, our lives would feel complete....... :wink:

vicz

Post by vicz » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:40 pm

Just create an alias to your projects folder or wherever you saved the user live packs and drop it into the library, then its easy to find in the browser along with everything else.