Axiom 25 v Axiom pro25 v Novation remote sl 25

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Badger GRRl

Axiom 25 v Axiom pro25 v Novation remote sl 25

Post by Badger GRRl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:04 pm

I'm thinking of getting one of the three of these, but haven't decided which yet.

All are compact, have drum pads and knobs, which is what I want.

The novation is the lightest,then the two Axioms, which are quite heavy and chunky.

The Axiom Pro seems prohibitively expensive (it's over 300 euro, a lot for a controller, plus it's only 40 euro more to upgrade to the 49 key version. All the benefits appear to be in the software, Automapping and so on.

Is this much of an advance on the Axiom regular? They both seem identical physically, yet about 150 euro more expensive.

You also get the semi-weighted keys, which does feel nice to the touch, but is not essential to my needs.

The novation SL is quite light, with basically the same amount of knobs, pads and keys, and somewhere in between the other two for price, about 220 Euro. A seller I spoke to said Novation products don't work quite as good with Live, at least not as M Audio products.

So I would like to know your experiences with any of the above products, how they compare with each other, and which one I should go for.

I will try out each of these in the next week or so myself, but it would be nice to have your collective opinions in mind when I do so.

channelite

Re: Axiom 25 v Axiom pro25 v Novation remote sl 25

Post by channelite » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:34 pm

The axiom 25 has 3 very useful presets, 18-20 for Live. Midi channel 16 on preset 20 controls the macros, hit pad 2, control the next eight macros, pad 3 the next eight and so on. On the same preset, midi channel 1 controls the first eight volumes, channel two controls 9-17 and so on. In these presets, the transports controls scene launch in session view.

I have not used the Novation, but I the Axiom 25 is never buggy and very reliable. I think it is a great buy for the price for the amount of features. My two cents.

Badger GRRl

Post by Badger GRRl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:49 pm

cool.thanks.does the PRO offer any imrovements on it?

channelite

Post by channelite » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:35 pm

In Live, look at the control surface section on the right side info panel. As of Live 8.1.1, there is a detailed description of the Axiom Pro's controller features for Live. There are also descriptions of all the supported controllers there too.

ticcthesoulrebel

Post by ticcthesoulrebel » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:20 pm

The Novation is better the display show more track info the automap work great. I had the axiom and the setup is to hard the custom presets are good but the novations automap is better now the axiom pro has a auto map too but the display on the novation is bigger so you dont need the mouse or the screen as must especially when you have a big song with alot of track you can see the track names.I think the novation is better i have the Novation Sl compact 49 and i love it.but one thing make sure you get a warranty cause they take forever to fix if something happens i had a issue and it took 3 months to resolve but since then no problems and the gave me a new one too. The Novation is Better
LiveSuite 9, Max4live ,Ableton push, MacBookPro 2.2 Quad 2011, Novation Sl Compact49,, Korg Mickontrol
Dynaudio BM5a,UA Apollo duo 2,Yamaha hs8 white,Logic 9,Reason 6, RED TYPE B Mic,KorgPad Kontrol,Liquid Mix,Fender Rhodes 88 .

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Very happy with my Novation as well.

Badger GRRl

Post by Badger GRRl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:33 am

thanks guys, ill keep it in mind.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:05 am

owned an axiom49... the keys suck big time...
all the rest is pretty great..shame really... couldn't stand the keys so sold it...
the axiom has bigger pads.. and bigger knobs...
but it's key action is unbearable imho..

now I have an sl25 and it's working great for me ...
actually the best keyboard controller I've had..
tight integration with live...
automap (some people really hate it.. I don't)...
'quick dial' for vsts..
quality build and keyboard...
also has more controls plus lcds..
I didn't like the plastic covers for the faders (cheap plastic)
so I took them off.. the faders feel much better now..
I guess it's a matter of taste as well..

I recommend you try them out first..