Is there any point in buying an APC-40 when...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PLacidBasilisk

Is there any point in buying an APC-40 when...

Post by PLacidBasilisk » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:31 am

Mostly I just want to trigger samples and play around with chopped up beats and sounds?

My Nanopad recently broke and I realised it's time I got my hands on something a little more sturdy to use as a drum-pad sample slicer and all purpose midi-interface.

I've looked at simply getting a Korg PadKontrol which seems to fulfill most of my needs, but an APC-40 would be nice. The thing is, I hardly ever use session view and never play live and it seems to me that the APC was designed specifically with session view and performance in mind.

Is there any point in splashing out then?

Can anyone recommend any better alternatives to the PadKontrol?

33tetragammon

Re: Is there any point in buying an APC-40 when...

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:06 am

Mostly I just want to trigger samples and play around with chopped up beats and sounds?

My Nanopad recently broke and I realised it's time I got my hands on something a little more sturdy to use as a drum-pad sample slicer and all purpose midi-interface.

I've looked at simply getting a Korg PadKontrol which seems to fulfill most of my needs, but an APC-40 would be nice. The thing is, I hardly ever use session view and never play live and it seems to me that the APC was designed specifically with session view and performance in mind.

Is there any point in splashing out then?

Can anyone recommend any better alternatives to the PadKontrol?
well,it depends on how much you want to splash out.

the best alternative(although way pricier)for the Padkontrol is N.I's Maschine.there you have all the hands-on control plus it is also a very powerful midi/mackie controller.N.I has also written a remote script for it,so you can have a pseudo apc-40 so to speak.

best,

Wasili

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:49 pm

The APC40 is great, sort of.

If I could do it over, I would go with something else. If drumming on pads is your thing, most definitely go with something else. If you like a couple banks of knobs that can be configured to act like a whole shit ton of knobs with some fairly decent, and small, but lots of buttons get and APC40.

Seems to me an the APC40 has proven to be a bitch to customize, the Matrix is only 5 in Y??? yet close, but not quite met my expectations for a controller. If I was going to spend that money all over again I would consider,

MidiFighter from DJTT + Novation ZeRO SL Mk II

or LaunchPad + Novation ZeRO SL Mk II.

Or why not a Launchpad, and find some older knob control, or even a wacom tablet for xy.

UNLESS I had the big bucks then I'd get a Monome + Novation ZeRO SL Mk II + i37 Garagekey.

HOWEVER if I want to stay cheap, I would get the AKAI LPD before I'd get the Korg NanoPad. Yes the NanoPad has an XY which is really cool, but for something that is ment to be banged on the NanoPad is not built to last.

I have not owned a Machine, but it definitely looks and feels like the best of the drum pads out there. For me it just was not enough knobs or pads for the money, but it's a really sweet device.

ark

Post by ark » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:04 pm

I think an APC40 plus MPD18 might be an almost ideal combination.

The APC40 buttons are not velocity-sensitive, so they're not well suited as drum pads. On the other hands, they're great for launching clips -- that's what they're for. Moreover, the knobs are excellent for mangling sounds, and I just learned that if you plug a foot pedal into an APC40 you can use it as a MIDI looper.

So here's the drill: Set up a drum kit, hit a launch button on an empty clip, and play your heart out on the MPD18. During the last bar, hit the foot pedal and presto! It loops. Now use the APC40 knobs to tweak the sound to your taste.

I haven't used Maschine and am tempted, but so far I've resisted temptation because I do not want to have to deal with two completely separate ways of creating drum loops.

ark

Post by ark » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:06 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:LaunchPad + Novation ZeRO SL Mk II.
The APC40 buttons feel nicer than those on the LaunchPad, and the knobs feel much nicer than those on the Novation ZeRO SL. I haven't tried the Mk II so I don't know if Novation has improved them.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:55 am

I really just like the control opportunities of the Novation gear, lots of options and easier to configure. However the APC40 is a better quality build for sure, but wether the launch pad vs APC40 buttons must be a matter of preference. My APC40 buttons tend to get sticky. Don't own a launch pad just played with them. However, seems to me nothing beats monome on button matrixes, or how the respond.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:51 am

Have you been hiding in a cupboard for the last year or something? APC sucks, Lunchpad FTW!
The oracle has spoken, over and out.
p34c3

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:17 am

I wouldn't say it sucks, just specifically great at some things and equally worse at others. I would feel the same with a Launchpad, no knobs??? Of course with the remaining 200 dollars you save you could buy some knob infested controller.

Personally I think Novation has some of the best user layout options, too bad their gear is built to be price friendly, cheap.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Padkontrol or Maschine is what you need.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:30 pm

I have an apc40, and its OK. Its less ok now that its little brother has note mode and the 40 does'nt. So don't buy it is my advice.

+1 for padkontrol
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Rave

Post by Rave » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:20 pm

Wait for the ipad

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:50 pm

maschine, i love the apc an all, but for you i think that might be a better route for what you want.
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

PLacidBasilisk

Post by PLacidBasilisk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:21 am

Thanks for all the responses. I'm leaning towards a Launchpad but need to know that the pads are sturdy and don't stick. I had a few problems with the nanopad pads sticking.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:53 am

if you don't use session view you will be paying for launchpad and apc features you won't use plus neither is velocity sensitive. I use a Padkontrol and nanokontrol for beats and mixing. Works for me plus the price is right!

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:07 pm

PLacidBasilisk wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I'm leaning towards a Launchpad but need to know that the pads are sturdy and don't stick. I had a few problems with the nanopad pads sticking.
If you don't use Session, I don't think the Launchpad is going to be that fun to use.

The wonderful led ringed knobs, transport, faders, and dedicated buttons on the APC40 are the best reason to get it, in my opinion. I used a Launchpad for a week and I thought it was a nice piece of gear, but I was really happy that I had decided to get the APC40. Because of its size, the APC40 really seems more at home in the studio than on the stage. However, I have every intention of eventually using mine on stage.

If you want a drumpad controller, buy a drumpad controller. If you want a Session View grid lauchner, get a Launchpad. If you want an all around Ableton Live love box, get an APC40. The Monodeck II only has a 5 scene deep matrix. If Henke can get by with this, maybe you can too. :roll: @ Juansolo