iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
simpleton

Re: iPad

Post by simpleton » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:35 am

beats me wrote: I make my Apple purchases based on The End Days we are currently in according to some and that means no "I could probably scrape by with" attitude. :P
You pay your dues to the black-turtle-necked gods and you will be put on the protected list. That's all I can divulge for now.
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:26 am

Well that is the end of the "There aren't any decent ports on the iPad" argument.

With a Dock-Hub, this thing will support more ports than my current laptop.
And with the Display Port functionality, I might actually be tempted to buy one of those laptops with a screen beyond repair for next to nothing. That is.. If they don't make battery powered Minis.

rcpunker

Post by rcpunker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:40 pm

Last night I move onto my bluetooth speakers all of them from the ones I go on Christmas. I never had to open up on them until now. I knows it is to be 5 months all ready,but, it is on one of those things I put all away and simple forget.
My Ipad found my bluetooth speakers i get for Christmas,but, it make sound like a warm jet planes flying overhead. But, I
test up my bluetooth speakers with my MP3 playered that has on bluetooth and it come to so clear,acutually it is a little bit crisps on the highs,but, no the less works. Has no one tried up on the buletooth copabilities on the Ipad ?

rcpunker

Post by rcpunker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:51 pm

I sitting at work about now,but, the brand I remember to be ULTRA. But I have no idea right now the model. It is black and on over the top is the black antenna. And it is no 2 seperate speakers,it\'s one long flat speakers,but, it makes the stereo sound.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:44 pm

edit: moved to other thread.
Professional Shark Jumper.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:25 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Well that is the end of the "There aren't any decent ports on the iPad" argument.

With a Dock-Hub, this thing will support more ports than my current laptop.
And with the Display Port functionality, I might actually be tempted to buy one of those laptops with a screen beyond repair for next to nothing. That is.. If they don't make battery powered Minis.

Yeah, but just because it exists doesn’t mean developers will utilize it.

I’m sure you’ve had situations in the past where you need some kind of odd connection between audio and video components, not even sure if it’s possible, and sure enough there’s a cheapish adaptor that has the right kind of connections and should work in theory but when you get it it’s completely useless beyond just plugging in properly.

My favorite is the always useless USB port that manufactures feel they have to slap on every TV and stereo now.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Ok, so I just thought I'd post my progress on my on-going search for the perfect Notes/organizer/to do list type tool. I previously figured I'd have my organization and notes tools split into two categories: General notes and lists (to do, shopping or other itemized things). So Evernote is definitely a good general purpose notes app that syncs between everything, even plugs into outlook. Although there are lots of to do and list types apps I hadn't found one that works well on iphone, ipad (HD) and computer/browser. I liked reqall but it's no good on ipad.

Well I just discovered what is the best thing I've come across yet: Springpad. And it combines just about everything you'd ever need. Notes, lists, tasks, allows for recordings like evernote. Can set due dates. Can write more details for your notes. You can even add little mini notes about your lists. And it has separate notebooks as well. It lets you use in so many different ways. Also some minor things I like over evernote like that you can swipe anything to delete and gives you categories of things like movies, books etc and even lets you look it up to find info. Pretty good for general organization I must say. It also has a web browser snipper and you can access everything on the site too.
Professional Shark Jumper.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:26 pm

I just discovered that swiping two fingers on an open text field that you are posting in or editing will move the text field up or down. :x

When making or editing long posts here on the forum, I always had to do the slow one finger cursor scroll. Good to know there's the two finger move. :P

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:27 pm

beats me wrote:Yeah, but just because it exists doesn’t mean developers will utilize it.

I’m sure you’ve had situations in the past where you need some kind of odd connection between audio and video components, not even sure if it’s possible, and sure enough there’s a cheapish adaptor that has the right kind of connections and should work in theory but when you get it it’s completely useless beyond just plugging in properly.

My favorite is the always useless USB port that manufactures feel they have to slap on every TV and stereo now.
Why wouldn't the company pushing thunderbolt make a dock connector that supports it and several other connections?
People complain about only having one usb port on the iPad, but if Apple pushes this connector with a future iPad that supports it, you could daisy-chain several devices without having like 10 cords sticking out of the tablet. Which strangely enough isn't something you hear from the people who want more ports...

I realize a lot of devices have useless usb ports and also wasted money on these weird adapters. But we're talking about Apple here. The company that sold us 64-bit PPC's years before their OS actually supports it and then drops support for PPC when the 64-bit goodness arrives. Their bandwagon is powered by one of those tractors with jet engines ;)

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:50 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
beats me wrote:Yeah, but just because it exists doesn’t mean developers will utilize it.

Why wouldn't the company pushing thunderbolt make a dock connector that supports it and several other connections?
People complain about only having one usb port on the iPad, but if Apple pushes this connector with a future iPad that supports it, you could daisy-chain several devices without having like 10 cords sticking out of the tablet. Which strangely enough isn't something you hear from the people who want more ports...

I realize a lot of devices have useless usb ports and also wasted money on these weird adapters. But we're talking about Apple here. The company that sold us 64-bit PPC's years before their OS actually supports it and then drops support for PPC when the 64-bit goodness arrives. Their bandwagon is powered by one of those tractors with jet engines ;)

I guess part of the thing for me is I’m not one of those port lovers who screams when something comes out and doesn’t have the full spectrum of port possibilities even if I can’t initially think of a use for it. “Demand ports first, think of purpose later!” I’m sure there’s a good percentage of Android tablet users overcome with emotion just over the included ports and less concerned about stability or the clusterfuck of incompatible apps depending on who manufactured the tablet.

If Apple way expanded airplay to let you stream to a computer and more developers embraced it then I don’t need many port options, discounting the current state of MIDI. :x

I’ve been through some of the painful moments of Apple “remove this/add this” prematurely but their wisdom usually makes sense in the end.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:48 am

Motorola's iPad-rival "Xoom" tablet sales slashed to 100,000 units

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11 ... units.html

"The Xoom has been hampered by a high initial price, low build quality, hardware features that were missing or nonfunctional, operating system and bundled software that was incomplete and unrefined, a scarcity of tablet-optimized applications and what appears to be a general absence of interest in tablets outside of the iPad."

:P

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:14 pm

Has anyone mentioned the upcoming pressure sensitive screens yet?

Of course it's yet to be seen what model of iPad actually gets this (3,4,5 ?) but pressure sensitivity is a damn fine thing in a touch surface. And these guys are already in production, so who knows.
http://www.slashgear.com/peratech-qtc-c ... -05144453/

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Angstrom wrote:Has anyone mentioned the upcoming pressure sensitive screens yet?

Of course it's yet to be seen what model of iPad actually gets this (3,4,5 ?) but pressure sensitivity is a damn fine thing in a touch surface. And these guys are already in production, so who knows.
http://www.slashgear.com/peratech-qtc-c ... -05144453/

My work computer won't load that site. Other than playing virtual instruments what else would this be good for?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:25 pm

A few things :

gaming.
instead of the current iDevice fudge of swiping, or tilting the device, you would have the more standard option of true 'game-pad' controls. keeping your finger in one place and when you press down it would be the action.
swiping is great for angry-bird style games, but less so for 3rd person shooters, etc. where a D pad is more use.

art applications, anywhere that a Wacom is currently used .. because they use pressure sensitivity as one of the key interfaces (for widening strokes, increasing texture, etc)
so other art applications are possible because of the tablet form, such as virtual sculpting. press harder to deform the clay, rotate around the virtual clay.

hell, I'm sure the ideas team at Apple can come up with a thousand shiny interaction ideas. For '3d' interfaces which require you to press on an interface element to expend it, etc.

bear in mind that this screen is about the same price as the one they currently use, but is "one better".
So I think its a given that we'll be seeing them.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:44 pm

Angstrom wrote:A few things :

gaming.
instead of the current iDevice fudge of swiping, or tilting the device, you would have the more standard option of true 'game-pad' controls. keeping your finger in one place and when you press down it would be the action.
swiping is great for angry-bird style games, but less so for 3rd person shooters, etc. where a D pad is more use.

art applications, anywhere that a Wacom is currently used .. because they use pressure sensitivity as one of the key interfaces (for widening strokes, increasing texture, etc)
so other art applications are possible because of the tablet form, such as virtual sculpting. press harder to deform the clay, rotate around the virtual clay.

hell, I'm sure the ideas team at Apple can come up with a thousand shiny interaction ideas. For '3d' interfaces which require you to press on an interface element to expend it, etc.

bear in mind that this screen is about the same price as the one they currently use, but is "one better".
So I think its a given that we'll be seeing them.

Some valid points up in there. I love me some iOS games.

In other unrelated thoughts...

It’s amazing that competitor companies had ample time to play with an iPad and learn some lessons but still just went with their original plan of “People hate Steve Jobs and love ports. Throw in some commercials that look like they were filmed in The Matrix and we’ll have instant gold.”

I hope somebody makes a movie like The Social Network documenting all the mass FAIL going on right now.