Quickie: Plugin not showing up

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Urs

Quickie: Plugin not showing up

Post by Urs » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:31 am

Hi all,

A customer of mine has installed Zebra2 on his Win7 PC, but it doesn't come up in Live. He has however installed SAVIHost as Zebra2.exe and that works. Thus Zebra should be running fine.

On the other hand side, he's got ACE installed as well, and ACE shows up properly.

What could that be?

Is there some sort of a blacklist file in Live that the user can erase?

Or is there a "force rescan" option of some sort in Live?

Thanks,

;) Urs

Rinsemeister

Re: Quickie: Plugin not showing up

Post by Rinsemeister » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi Urs,

There is a "re-scan" plug-ins option in preferences.

I thought you would have more of an idea about this problem....... :mrgreen:

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:11 pm

Is this 64bit Win7 and what folder is the plug-in installed in?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:27 pm

Rinsemeister wrote:There is a "re-scan" plug-ins option in preferences.
this
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

onnolab

Post by onnolab » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:55 am

Hello

I'm this customer of Urs with this problem. Thanks, Urs, you're a great guy and businessman :-)

Yep, I rescan the folder C:\program files (x86)\vstplugins which I set as custom folder for Ableton to browse for VSTs, but nothing happened.

I had some issues with other plugins when I installed the 64 bit versions cos my new PC is Win 7 64-bit. But once I installed the 32bit versions in the specified VST folder, they worked. The plugins include Arturia, Alchemy, Audio Damage, d16 group, Reaktor and Urs' very nice ACE as well.

I'm using Live 8.2.2 on Win 7 64bit, 2.67 GHz, 4G RAM, 500G HDD

Urs

Post by Urs » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:45 am

Hi,

Hmmm... maybe add a Vstplugins folder like C:\Users\You\Documents\Vstplugins\

And of course, if Live is 32-bit then you should use 32-bit plugins.

Anyhow, if worse comes to worst, we're releasing the new versions about next week or so. These have extra debugging capabilities and smarter installers.

Later,

;) Urs

onnolab

Post by onnolab » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:04 pm

I'll wait for your update version, Urs.
Don't think I want to re-organise all my plugins (very painful exercise with Windows) into another folder again as Ableton only allows 1 custom folder for plugins.
Cheers man

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:32 pm

It IS very annoying that Live only allows ONE VST folder.
That's why when I installed Win7-64bit I made myself a folder named C:\VstPlugins right from the start.
Putting all your VST's in a folder outside of C:\ProgramFiles.... is quite important for certain VSTs that for some reason don;t play well with modern OSes. ProgramFiles... is a protected folder so certain plugins don't like being installed there.

I guess you've already figured out that they NEED to be 32bit plugins so that's not your problem.

What you CAN do is to install the problematic VST again and this time put EVERYTHING (meaning not just the .dll but everything else that goes along with that particular instrument) in C:\vstplugins
THEN make a shortcut to that folder inside of C:\Programfiles(x86)\vstplugins.
This makes Live take longer to startup but if it makes the VST work then I guess it's worth it.

ALSO: Some VSTs have to be registered (when you input the serial number) while Live is being run as Administrator. So Right Click on the Live shortcut and choose "Run as administrator".
onnolab wrote:I'll wait for your update version, Urs.
Don't think I want to re-organise all my plugins (very painful exercise with Windows) into another folder again as Ableton only allows 1 custom folder for plugins.
Cheers man

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:20 pm

Hold down alt when you click rescan. takes a while but does a clear and rescan. It's fixed the odd plugin not showing up for me.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:02 pm

twisted-space wrote:Hold down alt when you click rescan. takes a while but does a clear and rescan. It's fixed the odd plugin not showing up for me.
definitely try this ^

dentaku wrote:It IS very annoying that Live only allows ONE VST folder.
i could be mistaken here and i'm not at home to try it... but can't you put a folder in your VST folder? VSTs do it. what i'm getting at... is that you don't need 2 VST folders, you can point Live at any folder. so if you wanted to have 32 and 64 bit VSTs in the same folder you can just create a subfolder for one of them (for example a folder called "64Bit") that resides in the main folder, no??
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.