how can i records sounds from my keyboard ???? please help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nitronoise

how can i records sounds from my keyboard ???? please help

Post by Nitronoise » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi guys! i have a x station 25, i want to record the sound from the keybord on ableton ! i connect the midi cables from the keyboad in digidesign mbox 2 i create a midi track, i record the sounds from the keybords that i want, but when i freeze the midi to make it audio a message appears the track midi has no audio output to freeze , so i have set up everything i can play the keys from the keybord and records the sound on the midi channel the way i want it, i can also write the sound from the keyboard with the mouse ! but when i freeze the midi to make it audio a message appears the track midi has no audio output to freeze! is doing my head ! what do i do wrong ? any idea's guy's please help :)

puzzlefactory

Re: how can i records sounds from my keyboard ???? please help

Post by puzzlefactory » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:22 pm

Midi is not the same as audio so you can't freeze it. You need to create an audio channel and connect your keyboards outputs to your audio interfaces inputs and then route those inputs to the inputs of your newly created audio channel.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:27 pm

MIDI contains information about timing, pitch and velocity. There is no audio in MIDI messages.

Nitronoise

Post by Nitronoise » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 pm

ok cool! i got that you can't make the midi in to the audio! but i try so many way's to record the sound from the keyboard! it is still doing my head !! i have write a tune only with the soundbank from the keyboard after i extract the track the is no sound at all ! look's to be so strange!!! so is there any idea's?

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Nitronoise wrote: so is there any idea's?
The right idea was already given in this post:
puzzlefactory wrote:Midi is not the same as audio so you can't freeze it. You need to create an audio channel and connect your keyboards outputs to your audio interfaces inputs and then route those inputs to the inputs of your newly created audio channel.
mr. or maybe mrs. puzzlefactory just wasnt precise on one thing: you have to connect your keyboards AUDIO-output (it should at least have a headphone-jack) with your audio interfaces AUDIO-input. Then set up an AUDIO-track within Live and make sure the input of this track is set to ext.in. Here you go. You then will have to choose wether you want to record your keyboard in mono or stereo. The input of the audio track can be set up either way. Just keep in mind that you will need a cable capable of sending stereo signals if you want to.

blackmambasheep

Post by blackmambasheep » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:47 pm

hello there,i was wondering can i use my yamaha keyboard as a midi device for ableton?iv plugged it in to my focusrite scarlet2i2 audio interface and just a bit unsure how to use it?or how to install it?iv plugged the keyboard into the audio interface using a basic guitar/bass lead and then of course the audio interface is connected to ableton?any feedback would be most apreciated,thank you!!!

Nitronoise

Post by Nitronoise » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:36 pm

Hey man great ! thanks very much, now works fine for me ! ! thanks again

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:47 pm

Nitronoise wrote:Hey man great ! thanks very much, now works fine for me ! ! thanks again
good to hear :wink:
blackmambasheep wrote:hello there,i was wondering can i use my yamaha keyboard as a midi device for ableton?iv plugged it in to my focusrite scarlet2i2 audio interface and just a bit unsure how to use it?or how to install it?iv plugged the keyboard into the audio interface using a basic guitar/bass lead and then of course the audio interface is connected to ableton?any feedback would be most apreciated,thank you!!!
if that yamaha keyboard has a MIDI-out, you`ll have to hook that into the MIDI-in of your scarlett with a MIDI-cable. Then you`ll have to enable your interface as MIDI-device in Live`s preferences. You`ll find that in the manual.

and here`s another reccomendation for you and Nitronoise as well: Do a google-search for the terms MIDI and AUDIO. Could be pretty helpful for buth of you -no offence :wink:

ark

Post by ark » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:47 am

In Live, a MIDI channel can produce MIDI as output or it can produce audio as output.

In order for it to produce audio, you have to have an "instrument" somewhere in the channel. An instrument is something that takes MIDI as input and produces audio as output. Live includes several instruments, such as Analog, Collision, Operator, Tension, and so on.

I do not know what instruments you have in your Live installation, so I cannot advise you on details, but in general, you have to drag an instrument into your MIDI channel. However, I believe that every Live installation includes Simpler as an instrument, so you can use that. Anyway, everything after that instrument must be an "audio effect" -- something that takes audio in and produces audio out. Everything before that instrument must be a "MIDI effect" -- something that takes MIDI in and produces MIDI out.

So... In order for you to hear sound from your MIDI keyboard, you have to connect the keyboard to a Live MIDI channel that contains an instrument, either Simpler or something else. Does this help?

Nitronoise

Post by Nitronoise » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:10 am

Yes man i know what you mean , thanks for your answer :) ! we was talking about how to record the sound from the keyboard!!!! not from any instrument at all ! the sounds from the keyboard like the novation x station 25 it has sounds included ! so you can write and records your own sound ! but finally i got sorted ! i use a stereo cable that i plug it in the sound card in to the microfone ! and on the keyboard i plug it to the headphones! and that wokrs fine for me ! thanks any way!

ark

Post by ark » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:56 pm

Nitronoise wrote:Yes man i know what you mean , thanks for your answer :) ! we was talking about how to record the sound from the keyboard!!!! not from any instrument at all ! the sounds from the keyboard like the novation x station 25 it has sounds included !
Ah, I'm sorry -- I misunderstood.

You did say X station 25. I heard X board 25, which is a keyboard made (well, it was made; it's now been discontinued) by E-MU that is just a MIDI controller and has no built-in sounds.