Latency Issues?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
iamblackk

Latency Issues?

Post by iamblackk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Firstly, allow me to thank everyone who attempts to help me out-

I'm a first time user in Ableton. I actually received a free copy years ago when I purchased the AKAI MPD24, but at the time I'd been using Pro Tools since college; Formerly trained on PT. I've worked with literately all the top DAW's; Pro Tools, Fruity Loops, Sonar, etc...So I'm truly experienced and educated in how things work. Below I'm going to do my best in describing my issue in full and I'll attach as much info as I can to clear as many questions back and forth. - Thank You

Issue - Latency Issues

When I first installed the program I went through the standard setups; Installing equipment, audio device, etc... When I went to test using a VST [NI Massive, NI Kontakt] I noticed latency issues, something I hadn't experienced since my FL Studio days. I went through and moved slider options around to best tackle the latency issue without corrupting the sound. Needless to say I received no positive results. I would get high latency in notes, and then they would hang. I would have to press [STOP] to release the note(s), and they would be in such a delay. Then today, just before logging on to the forums to post this thread I noticed everything was working. But after so long the notes began to hang again. And only one note. It wouldn't move in progression as I hit other keys. I noticed the CPU Usage was going up, but it still didn't change when it got back down to 2%. Below I've listed my audio drivers + snapshots of my settings.

Audio Drivers

Driver
  • No Audio
Driver
  • MME/DirectX
Audio Input Device
  • Line 1/2 (M-Audio Mobile Pre) DX
Audio Output Device
  • Line 1/2 (M-Audio Mobile Pre) DX

Driver
  • ASIO
Audio Device
  • ASIO Digidesign Driver
  • ASIO4ALL v2
  • Guitar Rig Mobile I/O
  • Guitar Rig Session I/O
  • GuitarRig Mobile I/O
  • M-Audio USB ASIO
  • Rig Kontrol 3
  • Session I/O
* ASIO4ALL v2

*M-Audio USB ASIO

I had the 'breakthrough success' today with the ASIO > ASIO4ALL v2, but then the CPU usage rose and I experienced the hanging note. I reopened to try again and I had no luck. The note would again hang. The CPU usage goes as high as 7%, but drops back down to 2%.

Computer Information
  • Windows 7
  • 64 Bit OS [x86]
  • 6 GB RAM
  • AMD Athalon II X4 620 Processor 2.60 GHz
  • C:\ 584 GB Storage
    • 150 GB Free
    • 433 GB Used
Ableton seems to be the ONLY DAW that has an issue running on my computer, unless I've set it up incorrectly. I'm now currently running Sonar, TRYING to convert over and I have no issues using that DAW and those who know, know that program is a meat eater so I'm GUESSING I'm just doing something wrong.

Any/All help will be GREATLY appreciated! -Thank You Again

yur2die4

Re: Latency Issues?

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:37 pm

I'm curious about your midi routing. A little feedback can mess things up, but I doubt that is the problem. That is pretty much all I've got haha

iamblackk

Post by iamblackk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:45 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I'm curious about your midi routing. A little feedback can mess things up, but I doubt that is the problem. That is pretty much all I've got haha
Everything is run on USB; Except for my Mic and headphoens: Run through an interface via. XLR then USB into the computer. If that's what you mean...

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Do you have any internal midi routings? Sometimes users use software to feed Live's midi output back into itself. I'm just ensuring that none of that is going on. Aside from that, let's hope others have some suggestions. Sounds quite frustrating!

iamblackk

Post by iamblackk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:08 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Do you have any internal midi routings? Sometimes users use software to feed Live's midi output back into itself. I'm just ensuring that none of that is going on. Aside from that, let's hope others have some suggestions. Sounds quite frustrating!
Yeah, no other routing. The only routing set is my In/Out and that's my audio interface.

iamblackk

Post by iamblackk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:20 pm

Not much information out there? Hope I didn't pay $500 on something I can't use, haha.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:46 pm

Same problem when using instruments that are native to Live? Simpler?? Or other vst's?? May help target the issue.

iamblackk

Post by iamblackk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:20 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Same problem when using instruments that are native to Live? Simpler?? Or other vst's?? May help target the issue.
Now my midi controller isn't working with Ableton, and it's a simple M-Audio Keystation.

Vios

Post by Vios » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:25 pm

I have an M-Audio Keystation and it quit working within Live recently. Live wouldn't detect it. I reinstalled the driver, rebooted and that solved the problem. Worth a try.

M-Audio Drivers

iamblackk

Post by iamblackk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:29 pm

At this moment it's working. But some of my presets in different VST's are KILLING consuming my CPU. I'm getting as high at 41% in CPU usage. Is Ableton always like this? I'm almost afraid to put in a serious question and drain the CPU. Will this become an issue when I start stacking VST's?