Ableton quantization - I'm never on time help !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alphawave

Ableton quantization - I'm never on time help !

Post by Alphawave » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:28 pm

I've never been able to figure out Ableton quantization. I've tried right clicking and quantizing. I've tried setting the default launch quantization (1/8, 1/16, 1/16T etc.). I can never get beats to sound reasonable. I don't want to go through and meticulously move each item to be on time.

I have Korg Gadget, and all I have to do it play, any notes 1/8 , 1/16, 1/32 and it will record it perfectly, and if I am off, it will snap in perfect place.
Can I set Ableton up like this, with out going in each time and selecting the time divisions ?

jlgrimes

Re: Ableton quantization - I'm never on time help !

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:04 pm

Alphawave wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:28 pm
I've never been able to figure out Ableton quantization. I've tried right clicking and quantizing. I've tried setting the default launch quantization (1/8, 1/16, 1/16T etc.). I can never get beats to sound reasonable. I don't want to go through and meticulously move each item to be on time.

I have Korg Gadget, and all I have to do it play, any notes 1/8 , 1/16, 1/32 and it will record it perfectly, and if I am off, it will snap in perfect place.
Can I set Ableton up like this, with out going in each time and selecting the time divisions ?
Ableton has like three different quantization systems.

1. Launch Quantization. Deals with the triggering of clips. More for DJing or Stem track purposes.

2. Record Quantization. Quantization your recorded midi tracks on the way in to Mimic old school drum machines and sequencers.

3. Clip quantization. An editing process to manually time correct clips.

Make sure you aren't using the wrong one.