Extracting text from 'missing plugins' window

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scg

Extracting text from 'missing plugins' window

Post by scg » Mon May 06, 2024 7:08 am

Ableton's 'missing plugins' window ("Some plug-ins are disabled. Please see below for details.") is useful, but is there any way to copy the text displayed in it? As far as I can tell, the window isn't resizable, and the text can't be copied, which means you're stuck just reading the text, and in a fairly small window. Being able to copy the text could be quite useful for analyzing which plugins a project uses and where they're used. (I found some third-party tools that list the plugins used in a project, e.g. here, but they don't specify the tracks like the Ableton window does.)

Is there any way to extract this info from the Ableton window? If not, is there any other way to get a copyable list of plugins (missing or otherwise) and which tracks use them?

Rivanni

Re: Extracting text from 'missing plugins' window

Post by Rivanni » Fri May 10, 2024 8:13 pm

I created a device that lists the plugins and shows this per track, rack, and chain within a Live set.
https://maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=10362

Max doesn't offer a way to use the 'missing plugins' information, and I have not yet found a way to mark the missing plugins. This is because all plugin information is still inside the project file, so you still have all the settings when the plugin is available again.

scg

Re: Extracting text from 'missing plugins' window

Post by scg » Fri May 10, 2024 9:03 pm

Very nice, thank you! Rated and commented :) I found another M4L device that gives a 'flat' list of all plugins used, which is useful if you just want a list of which plugins are used in a project. But, it doesn't include track information, so this is very helpful to have.

Thanks again.