Wanna use an Electribe as a controller? No Prob

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Trypset

Wanna use an Electribe as a controller? No Prob

Post by Trypset » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:09 pm

its really easy, just takes a while ot get all the pieces.

I have successfully mapped every knob and button on my KORG ES1 mkII to ableton to use as a sequencer/controller.

First things first, the only buttons that will work right after you hook it up to ableton are the part keys.(i.e. where you samples are arrnaged and selected on the korg) all the other knobs and faders will not.

These knobs and faders do send information. If you havn't tried already, try to midi map a knob into ableton. Any knob will send a CC# (controller change) normally either 6/....or98/, followed by some more information.... these are useless without being properly translated, and in reality are NRPN(

Step 1 = Get MIDI-OX and MIDI Yoke installed on your computer. Detailed instructions can be found at midiox.com.

Step 2 = After these programs have been installed, hook up your electribe to your computer via your MIDI connection.

Step 3 = Open up MIDIOX, and go to options at the top, click on MIDI devices. You should see your input MIDI device on the list. Select your IN device and then select and OUT device(a MIDI YOKE channel). We have setup a kind of translation bay. NRPN will come in on the INPUT, translated, spit back OUT immediately on the OUTPUT. Close this list.

Step 4 = Open up a input and output monitor in MIDI-OX, if all is connected properly you should see the input start scrolling. I came to believe this is my korgs timeclock. Now the fun begins.

Step 5 = Click on view>MIDI status..this will open up a sort map. Move a knob on your electribe and look in this map. a NRPN # and min-maxrange will show up. The range is almost 99% always 0-16256. Ok so we now have the NRPN # and range for one of your knobs, write these down, i swear it will help.

Step 6 = Now, with this information we can start translating this knobs NRPN to a usable CC signal. Click options and then data mapping. This will open up a translation map. Nothing should be checked in here except, (TURN MAP ON). Click on insert.

Step 7 = After clicking insert it will bring up Define Mapping window. Do as follows

WHEN INPUT MATCHES
Channel=Any Event=NRPN Min1=NRPN # Max1=(same NRPN as before) Min2=0 Max2=16256
WHEN OUTPUT MATCHES
Channel=Any Event=Controller Change Min1=AnyCC you want 1-97(excluding 6,98, and the channel you are sending on) Max1=the same CC as Min1 Min2=0 Max2=127

Click ok.

Step 8 = to check move the knob, make sure you are still getting chages on the input monitor. ( the turn map on after ok button) had to be checked or the data mapping will no be turned on. We have now taken a unusable NRPN and converted it to a usable CC.

Last step is to open Ableton and setup your MIDI options to recieve on all channels. You also have to go into the MIDI options and on whatever MIDI yoke channel you used( i used 1) make sure the sync and remote keys are solid. Now, turn midi mapping on, click on a parameter and move your knob. If all went well it will show up as whatever CC you assigned it. Have fun.

On my ES1 mkII I have 8 sample parts. Each on of these parts is assigned to a part in IMPULSE. If i have part 1 selected i have knobs for everything, time,decay,start,vol,drive,filter......all of these are just for the kick.....i select my part 2 button on my korg(which makes all my knobs send different NRPN when selected) and i have the same control over part 2.

Basically it turned impulse into a bad ass because i can eff up each hit respectively. I

ernene

Post by ernene » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:18 pm

nice one...
Thanks

OvertoneZero

Re: Wanna use an Electribe as a controller? No Prob

Post by OvertoneZero » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:22 pm

Trypset wrote: On my ES1 mkII I have 8 sample parts. Each on of these parts is assigned to a part in IMPULSE. If i have part 1 selected i have knobs for everything, time,decay,start,vol,drive,filter......all of these are just for the kick.....i select my part 2 button on my korg(which makes all my knobs send different NRPN when selected) and i have the same control over part 2.

Basically it turned impulse into a bad ass because i can eff up each hit respectively. I

Cool

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:39 pm

thanks!!! it is very cool, i havn't really gotten down to making complex beats in ableton yet, jsut getting started on that. But this is a huge step for myself/anyone. Bridging hardware and software to work as one. And people complain and NRPN....WHY.....it is the shit. Piece.

spiral

Re: Wanna use an Electribe as a controller? No Prob

Post by spiral » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:29 pm

Trypset wrote: Step 1 = Get MIDI-OX and MIDI Yoke installed on your computer. Detailed instructions can be found at midiox.com.
thanks for that, what's best OS X equivalent of these?

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:56 pm

have no idea about the macs. i want one so bad.

laird

Post by laird » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:12 pm

I'm a PC guy, but on Mac can't you just use the IAC Bus?
i.e. no need to go out and download anything...

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:09 pm

Does anyone else use their electribe(s) in conjunction with Abelton? If so what templates and presets are you favorites? I would love to get an Electribe via Ableton crew together and get some ideas going.

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:19 pm

no one else?

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:25 pm

Trypset wrote:no one else?
im in, ive got 3. so much fun for so little money. I use the EA1 as a mono step sequencer for Live or hardware synths, ES1 Mk2 with a battery pack for making beats on the couch and sampling the tv and radio, and an ER1 to drive Impulse.

good times.

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:40 pm

I do...but I use the Tribes on their own...sometimes they're routed to tracks into Ableton Live, most of the time they just go straight to the RME Multiface...that depends on what I want to do...I have the toys to have the "feel" of being playing "live". I make my own loops or try to "recreate" some well known riffs of bands like Kraftwerk,Nirvana,etc, and have lots of fun with the Electribes and the synths (Evolver and Alesis Micron) :wink: But the core of all this is...Ableton Live :D

spiral

Post by spiral » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 pm

i have the EA and the ER, i use them on their own but record them into live, i use live as master clock and sync them from live , which is good for recording filtered loops

Using Live pretty much like mixing desk with them.

I also try using midi from live to play sequences which works fine but havent figured out how to control all settings from live

if any one has made step sequencer type template for live with these it be good to see

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:08 pm

spiral wrote:i have the EA and the ER, i use them on their own but record them into live, i use live as master clock and sync them from live , which is good for recording filtered loops

Using Live pretty much like mixing desk with them.

I also try using midi from live to play sequences which works fine but havent figured out how to control all settings from live

if any one has made step sequencer type template for live with these it be good to see
how do you mean? any electribe plugged into LIve is a midi step sequencer, or have i missed your point?

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:56 am

what more of a template do you want? this post explains everything, tells you exactly how to map everything. I mean no one can do it for you, and no one gave me an easy template. Trial and error and this forum are all you need.

spiral

Post by spiral » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:44 am

adventurepants_ wrote:
how do you mean? any electribe plugged into LIve is a midi step sequencer, or have i missed your point?
for instance 16 clips in live, and if one of the 16 pads is on , on the korg that clip would be triggered in appropriate sequence