MACS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

Re: MACS

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:57 pm

Sounds like your dad is fed up with windows, but if he's coding in Visual Basic, C++ and using a bunch of windows programs, guess what operating system he'd be running on his mac: Windows. So if he's fed up with windows and then gets a mac to run windows, I'm not sure that would make a whole lot of sense.
Professional Shark Jumper.

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:29 pm

adventurepants_ wrote:So not true. Mac hardware failure rates are actually kinda high as far as PCs go.
Such a strong statement with nary a whiff of substantive evidence. :roll:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:47 am

porfiry wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote:So not true. Mac hardware failure rates are actually kinda high as far as PCs go.
This shit is continually annoying. Apple suck for being expensive, and not releasing something like a Panasonic toughbook for us clumsy types, but the hardware is good.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2006499,00.asp

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:07 am

porfiry wrote:

whatever. Ive worked in Apple workshops, and am intimate with their failures. Im guessing youve probably worked on 2 or 3 in your life.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:13 am

Machinesworking wrote:
porfiry wrote:
This shit is continually annoying. Apple suck for being expensive, and not releasing something like a Panasonic toughbook for us clumsy types, but the hardware is good.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2006499,00.asp
while we are posting random pages

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... -computers

For the record, i think Macs are great. Their users just tend to believe the hype a little too much at times.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:28 am

adventurepants_ wrote: while we are posting random pages

For the record, i think Macs are great. Their users just tend to believe the hype a little too much at times.
I didn't post a random page, it's PC Magazine, a PC centric rag that does a shoot out every year. Your 'cheap' chinese computers are Lenova, or IBMs old laptop line. Not necessarily cheap laptops at all. They also come in second almost every year in those same tests.
Macs are OK. I think they're overpriced, I like the OS, but I would like to not pay a premium for the hardware testing and design on the laptops. They do a good amount of hardware testing probably more than the others. It's true it's the same hardware inside, they just spend a little more time stress testing it than the competition. I had a friend who did that at Apple HQ for about 12 years.

There is such a thing as bad publicity, and Apple suffer it far more than Lenova or Toshiba do, though admittedly their PR department is more prone to bluster.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:43 am

Machinesworking wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote: while we are posting random pages

I didn't post a random page, it's PC Magazine, a PC centric rag that does a shoot out every year. Your 'cheap' chinese computers are Lenova, or IBMs old laptop line. Not necessarily cheap laptops at all. They also come in second almost every year in those same tests.
Macs are OK. I think they're overpriced, I like the OS, but I would like to not pay a premium for the hardware testing and design on the laptops. They do a good amount of hardware testing probably more than the others. It's true it's the same hardware inside, they just spend a little more time stress testing it than the competition. I had a friend who did that at Apple HQ for about 12 years.

There is such a thing as bad publicity, and Apple suffer it far more than Lenova or Toshiba do, though admittedly their PR department is more prone to bluster.
i dont know, this sweaty freak does bluster pretty well! :lol:

the article is interesting to me as they should see the failure rates for Lenovos etc to be 10 times higher, as there is likely 10 times as many of them in the wild. Theres a few questions on the studies validity, which is why im really only talking for myself. From experience, i know Apple failure rates to be as high if not higher than other brand name boxes.

All computers fail, all of em.

Some of the fanboys just think Apples run on magic hardware. Back in the PowerPC days, the same fanboys tried to convince me that the hardware was far superior, even though it simply crawled along behind contemporary PCs running the same software. If you ran the original OSX, youll know how long you spent watching the spinning rainbow on PowerPC hardware. It had a lot going for it, but a snappy interface wasnt one of those things. The hardware may have been better in theory, but certainly wasnt in implementation.

Its the anti-rational fanboyism stuff that weirds me out.

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:46 am

adventurepants_ wrote:whatever. Ive worked in Apple workshops, and am intimate with their failures. Im guessing youve probably worked on 2 or 3 in your life.
I've been dealing with apples since about 1981, and you're right, I haven't had to work on many. :)

My G5 iMac was kind of a turd though. Still running, but trouble-ridden. Rev. 1 machine, you know.

But you're essentially saying that they have higher failure rates than windows PCs, framing it the way you did. Which is ridiculous. All makes of computers provide failures aplenty. Thanks for at least backing up the claim with a random page the second time.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:43 am

adventurepants_ wrote: the article is interesting to me as they should see the failure rates for Lenovos etc to be 10 times higher, as there is likely 10 times as many of them in the wild. Theres a few questions on the studies validity, which is why im really only talking for myself. From experience, i know Apple failure rates to be as high if not higher than other brand name boxes.
OK first off, the test, and any good test would be based on percentages and not volume. I refuse to believe that you wouldn't rationalize this, and are just yanking my chain here. It's pretty easy to get 10,000 Apple users and 10,000 Lenova users to draw a simple percentage study off of, or to take a percentage off of 12,987 Apple users and 19,996 Lenova users. The basic conclusions are all similar though. Apple does well in hardware tests, not as good as they should IMO, but not as bad as you painted them out to.
All computers fail, all of em.
Yep.
Some of the fanboys just think Apples run on magic hardware. Back in the PowerPC days, the same fanboys tried to convince me that the hardware was far superior, even though it simply crawled along behind contemporary PCs running the same software. If you ran the original OSX, youll know how long you spent watching the spinning rainbow on PowerPC hardware. It had a lot going for it, but a snappy interface wasnt one of those things. The hardware may have been better in theory, but certainly wasnt in implementation.
PPC was a great chip design, with certain functions they outperformed even faster speced x86 chips, this was true, but always lagged behind x86 development in pure speed, so as an overall computing experience were slower. It's a Betamax VS VHS scenario to a degree. IBM screwed that pooch, along with Motorola and Apple's shitty developer relation skills. (read that as Steve Jobs is as much of a dick as Balmer)
Its the anti-rational fanboyism stuff that weirds me out.
Total agreement. Mention that you're sick of the 1" thin laptop and the lightweight at all costs design, at a point when speed is so fast that the real danger in laptops is in durability, and people suck Apple's tit without acknowledging the complete lack of durability in their laptops VS the Toughbooks..... seriously, I would buy a toughbook if it didn't involve jailbreaking OSX to run it on one.

All I want is a laptop I can drop hard a few times with little or no damage, and OSX, but I'm stuck with a laptop I fear a well timed drop on stage with. I'm duct taping this thing to the keyboard stand. :?

I actually do hope that one day Apple decide to sell the OS for use on any computer for this very reason, but good luck with that.

bendybones

Post by bendybones » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:02 am

funky shit wrote:i may be mistaking
You are, because the word is 'mistaken'
MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.5.8, Live 8 Suite, Logic Studio 9, Ultralite Mk3

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:22 am

Machinesworking wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote: the article is interesting to me as they should see the failure rates for Lenovos etc to be 10 times higher, as there is likely 10 times as many of them in the wild. Theres a few questions on the studies validity, which is why im really only talking for myself. From experience, i know Apple failure rates to be as high if not higher than other brand name boxes.
OK first off, the test, and any good test would be based on percentages and not volume. I refuse to believe that you wouldn't rationalize this, and are just yanking my chain here. It's pretty easy to get 10,000 Apple users and 10,000 Lenova users to draw a simple percentage study off of, or to take a percentage off of 12,987 Apple users and 19,996 Lenova users. The basic conclusions are all similar though. Apple does well in hardware tests, not as good as they should IMO, but not as bad as you painted them out to.
fair call. its why i didnt want to get into using sources to back this up, as most companies simply dont release accurate info on this! I just expect the quality control to be that much higher than the competition now as you are paying a fair bit extra money for the same hardware.
porfiry wrote:
I've been dealing with apples since about 1981, and you're right, I haven't had to work on many. :)

My G5 iMac was kind of a turd though. Still running, but trouble-ridden. Rev. 1 machine, you know.

i wonder though if youve dealt with large numbers, with mac installations in the hundreds? its hard to make a guess at a trend unless you deal with any brand en masse. For some reason people sneer at Dells, but we installed 75 of them at once, and havent had a single major failure (apart from some bad keyboards) . Around the same time we installed a bunch of 6 Macbooks, and three of them have required major parts in the warranty period. Not to mention the fact that Dell fixes theirs at the site, within a day. Ive waited weeks for some of the Mac repairs.

We all have different experiences. I hate Toshibas with a passion, and have never had anything but pain from them on the whole, some people love em! The moral of this story is pay for an extended warranty on any brand of laptop if you plan on keeping it longer than a year.

Play

Post by Play » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:15 pm

Im a Mac fanboy but I have learned not to buy them brand new, because they are high priced. I like to purchase them about a year old, in mint condition with all original items and 2 years of Apple Care left. Then you really get bang for your buck, imo.
MacPro Quad, Dual 23" Apple Displays-15" MacBook Pro-Logic8, Live7, PowerSuite5-MAudio BX8s-Mackie Control Universal, ReMOTE SL 37, Korg padKONTROL-Serato Scratch SL3 & VSL-2 Pioneer CDJ1000MK2s, Pioneer DJM800

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:20 pm

Play wrote:Im a Mac fanboy but I have learned not to buy them brand new, because they are high priced. I like to purchase them about a year old, in mint condition with all original items and 2 years of Apple Care left. Then you really get bang for your buck, imo.
I like to do that with my slaves aswell.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:49 pm

I have respect for MACs but I use Windows based PCs. Thats my choice. Good or bad is dependent on everyone's own variables. One thing I notice about a lot of Mac users is they like to talk sMac about PC parts being less superior blah blah...

When you buy from a manufacturer (like Dell) who makes a product for the fickle masses what are they really making? An internet box that runs Word and a handful of other apps. They make high end PCs too. I used to troubleshoot PCs in Offices and homes for a living. Most of these "piece of shit Microsoft" machines just had users on them that couldn't tell a malicious pop-up from a valid one.

There are good parts available for PCs and there are good companies making those parts. Get yourself an Alienware PC and tweak it for music production. Keep it mostly off the internet. Come holler at us when it breaks. Wait... maybe you should trade emails with some folks cuz they might not be using the forum then.

Just because Yugos were shitty hatchbacks doesn't mean all hatchbacks are bad cars. Thats what you're saying when you compare an $1800.00 Mac to a $500.00 PC. I mean if you're gonna compare things that way lets start a thread comparing the Cooper Mini to an Aston Martin.

Truth is dude... The answer to your question came in the first two replies.
He needs visual basic and I doubt he's gonna switch to a Mac OS *AND* switch to/purchase all new 3D apps.

This Mac PC war shit is just plain silly. Users are 99% of the problem on any platform... whether it was the user on one end creating the code or the user at the other end executing it.

Syntax Error FTW