How to change midi map for each scene? Playing live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
CSR

How to change midi map for each scene? Playing live

Post by CSR » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:28 am

Im triggering midi samples ( Keyboard vamps) so that my keyboard triggers single chords. Ive lined them up in the scenes
and am switching between scenes for different songs in the set. But, how can I re map the midi for each scene?
cheers CSR :(

aerobiotic

Re: How to change midi map for each scene? Playing live

Post by aerobiotic » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:48 am

I would suggest using you keyboard up down arrows and enter for that kind of function rather than midi...

Or if you dont want to move away from your controller, try midi translator... you can the assign midi buttons to emulate the arrow buttons and also assign another button on the controller to emulate a "enter" key down press.

Thats what i use...

Does that make sense?
registered ab'user...

CSR

Post by CSR » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:42 am

yeah kind of cheers for that. I didnt really explain it that well, though. I ended up assigning the scenes to a button on my keyboard trigger so that worked.
What I cant figure out now is how to change the samples that are assinged to Keyboard trigger via the midi map.
Because Ive set up my setlist in the same song Ive just used different scenes but cant figure out how to change the midi map or the samples within each scene. Is this possible? or is there a better way to set it up.
cheers CSR

houseofmidi

Post by houseofmidi » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:45 am

do you mean you have a bunch of say 1 shot clips loaded and you use different keys to trigger the 1 shot clips. (each clip being a whole Chord?)

so you have a midi key mapped directly to a 'clip'? so say C#4 plays Clip X on track 4?

Can you instead set it up so that C#4 plays the 'current' clip in the selected Scene? so you setup the keys at the 'Track Start' instead of the Clip?

Otherwise I might try having the clips for each song a on a different Midi Channel. then to change songs change the Midi Channel on the Midi Keyboard.

CSR

Post by CSR » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:44 pm

do you mean you have a bunch of say 1 shot clips loaded and you use different keys to trigger the 1 shot clips. (each clip being a whole Chord?)
Yip thats exactly what I have done
so you have a midi key mapped directly to a 'clip'? so say C#4 plays Clip X on track 4?
Correct
Can you instead set it up so that C#4 plays the 'current' clip in the selected Scene? so you setup the keys at the 'Track Start' instead of the Clip?
I'll try that but wont the sample still be the same? Or have I got it wrong. I'll go and check it out.
Otherwise I might try having the clips for each song a on a different Midi Channel. then to change songs change the Midi Channel on the Midi Keyboard.
ok I'll experiment. Im triggering around 8-10 samples in a track
thanks heaps!
CSR