Allow Recording Without Delay Comp When Monitoring

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Should Ableton allow recording without delay compensation when monitoring?

Yes
91%
I don't care
9%

Total votes: 32

jbone1313

Allow Recording Without Delay Comp When Monitoring

Post by jbone1313 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:32 pm

As discussed in these threads:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

http://forum.ableton.com//viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0
[nis] wrote:
If you want an option, just for the sake of it, I'd suggest to put up a poll on the feature wishlist forum. You would even get my vote, because I'd also believe that every user should be able to set up what works best for him.
The below also applies to Audio when recording and monitoring audio with an audio effect on your track.

When record monitoring MIDI software instruments, Ableton Live records MIDI notes and then shifts them back according to system/plugin latency. This is to represent what is heard through the speakers as opposed to what is directly played on the MIDI keyboard or Pad. This is because MIDI notes should be played actually infront of time to manually account for the system latency within Live. Thus on playback Live delays the notes to represent what was heard (when the player was trying to play the output sound in time) rather than what was directly played on the MIDI instrument.

This allows Live to remain constantly in sync with 'live playing' within a latent software environment when monitoring through this environment. Live uses this method which is different to common DAW methods due to Lives 'Live' concept - where juggling plugin and system latency is managed in the whole system on playback AND recording. Standard DAWs use a different management system that does not account for all latencies - although this method does not induce a MIDI recording delay. If you feel it is essential to record softsynth MIDI without Live's MIDI delay you can record into an unmonitored MIDI track and shift that MIDI recording into a softsynth track for playback

Please give users the option to select this delay behavior.
Last edited by jbone1313 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

timeline85

Post by timeline85 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:39 pm

I think the numerous threads about this issue including the thread linked in the post above are proof enough that this is a good feature to implement. Obviously there are some users who care about this and would like the option to have Ableton behave like other DAW software when it comes to delay compensation and how MIDI and Audio are recorded when monitored.

Also, it seems like this should be easy to implement. If I create two tracks with the same I/O, one of which has monitoring OFF and the other has it on ON/AUTO, I get both results. It seems like it would be pretty easy to just have a fourth monitoring option that records as if monitoring is off, but monitors as if you had another track with monitoring on.

bodhi71

Post by bodhi71 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:20 am

Itsa big deal to me
I would say it would be my number 1 wish in Live 8 :cry:
I have been trying to get a grip with this since I bought Live,
not very user friendly imho.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:54 am

I don't really understand all this. Sounds odd.

How can "record midi notes to an unmonitored track" be a serious suggestion?! Might as well play guitar with gloves on

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:26 pm

Meef Chaloin wrote:I don't really understand all this. Sounds odd.

How can "record midi notes to an unmonitored track" be a serious suggestion?! Might as well play guitar with gloves on
Read the threads; you'll understand.

The main reason why those threads went so long is this: Its a simple problem to demonstrate, but a hard one to describe in words.

However, I feel that we successfully described the problem in those threads.

:)
Last edited by jbone1313 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:11 am

jbone1313 wrote:
Meef Chaloin wrote:I don't really understand all this. Sounds odd.

Read the thread; you'll understand.

The main reason why that thread went so long is this: Its a simple problem to demonstrate, but a hard one to describe in words.

However, I feel that we successfully described the problem in that thread.

:)
Live needs this option to record notes as when you hit the keys. I always notice Live's midi timing to be slightly off compared to other programs like Reason and Sonar.

That said I'm referring only to midi recording. I don't have any problems with Live's audio recording (however I alway audio record with monitor off to avoid latency).

SWAN808

Post by SWAN808 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi Jbone

It might be a good idea to include a link in your OP also for this 21 page thread about this same issue - just as a futher example of the extent of demand for the option to be added...

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=52985&start=0

:D

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:33 pm

SWAN808 wrote:Hi Jbone

It might be a good idea to include a link in your OP also for this 21 page thread about this same issue - just as a futher example of the extent of demand for the option to be added...

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=52985&start=0
:D
Ok, I did. But I wasn't the OP in that one. :)

Its interesting to see the number of yes votes we've gotten--despite all of the flak we caught in that thread. I'm convinced that as more folks understand this, they'll want to have the option.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:49 pm

jbone1313 wrote:Its interesting to see the number of yes votes we've gotten--despite all of the flak we caught in that thread. I'm convinced that as more folks understand this, they'll want to have the option.
I voted yes.

Most of the debate in the thread was not about having the option or not. It was not caused by not understanding ([edit] the manifestation of) the issue, either :), and the benefit of having an option has been something most people have agreed on all along.