How can i make BeatRepeat loop 1 bar when swtiched on?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zeepster

How can i make BeatRepeat loop 1 bar when swtiched on?

Post by zeepster » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:47 am

Using a midi controller, how can i make it so that when i turn on Repeat it's set to 1 Bar length?

I use an endless knob to make the Grid smaller or larger but then i need to have BeatRepeat default to 1 Bar when activated Repeat.

Is there a way?

Cheers

Re: How can i make BeatRepeat loop 1 bar when swtiched on?

Post by 102455 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:49 pm

Tip: Don't keep posting the same question. Be patient and wait for a response.

If after a reasonable amount of time (days not hours) no one has answered, then bump your original topic, don't start a new one.

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Yes today i figured my initial post was in the wrong forum (Tips) and couldn't move it.
Sorry you had to see that twice man :)

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:18 pm

I can't think of a way to snap the value back native in live.
you could use effects racks and macro out 1 knob to both engage repeat and change the rate when you turn the knob.
but since you want to use 1 bar repeat actually getting that 1 bar repeat with that set up is rather delicate.

you could look into using clyphx
http://beatwise.proboards.com/index.cgi ... thread=992

Clyphx is awesome and free, I used it rather extensively until i got max4live.
the basic premise of Clyphx is using clips that contain script function calls.

I messed around with it for a moment and was able to get it to function
by created a clip that would snap the beat repeat off and reset it to 1 bar
it is kind of tricky.. you have to map the same switch to trigger the clip and engage the repeat
then set the clip to toggle and loop. I can further help you if you decide to go down this path

another option is max4live I know it would be possible to build a beat repeat that would return
to a default setting when beat repeat was disengaged. max4live is awesome and I use it extensively in my live set
but if this is just the only feature you want it be kind of a waste of time and money.

the simplest solution would be to just turn the knob back to one bar when you disengage and/or engage beat repeat.
just like any instrument you would build the muscle memory and in no time you wouldn't even think of the motion
and just do it automatically.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:01 pm

Maybe you can do something with an audio effect rack with 2 beat repeaters in it - 1 of the beat repeaters is always set to 1 bar (

Switching off beat repeater 1 is the same as switching to the 2nd beat repeater which is set to 1 bar.

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:29 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:I can't think of a way to snap the value back native in live.
you could use effects racks and macro out 1 knob to both engage repeat and change the rate when you turn the knob.
but since you want to use 1 bar repeat actually getting that 1 bar repeat with that set up is rather delicate.

you could look into using clyphx
http://beatwise.proboards.com/index.cgi ... thread=992

Clyphx is awesome and free, I used it rather extensively until i got max4live.
the basic premise of Clyphx is using clips that contain script function calls.

I messed around with it for a moment and was able to get it to function
by created a clip that would snap the beat repeat off and reset it to 1 bar
it is kind of tricky.. you have to map the same switch to trigger the clip and engage the repeat
then set the clip to toggle and loop. I can further help you if you decide to go down this path

another option is max4live I know it would be possible to build a beat repeat that would return
to a default setting when beat repeat was disengaged. max4live is awesome and I use it extensively in my live set
but if this is just the only feature you want it be kind of a waste of time and money.

the simplest solution would be to just turn the knob back to one bar when you disengage and/or engage beat repeat.
just like any instrument you would build the muscle memory and in no time you wouldn't even think of the motion
and just do it automatically.
Thank you for the clear explanation bosonHavoc. Regarding the last option, just turning the knob back. I will probably have to go that route when all else fails.
I do own Max4Live though and am already using some devices in my set. There are some good looping/beatrepeat devices out there but actually none that will fit the control scheme i'm trying to set up.

I looked into Clyphx, never heard of it before a few days ago but i need t study it more if i want to use it. For now i hope that M4L can still offer other solutions. For instance, would it be possible with M4L to control beatrepeat in such a way i'm after?

ian_halsall wrote:Maybe you can do something with an audio effect rack with 2 beat repeaters in it - 1 of the beat repeaters is always set to 1 bar (
Switching off beat repeater 1 is the same as switching to the 2nd beat repeater which is set to 1 bar.
I've tried many racks, breaking my head over it.
Probably the best solution is something with dummy clips but i'm not a pro in that area yet.
Like i want beatrepeat to only kick in at the start of a bar. How would i do that?

So many questions.. :(

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:37 pm

map a controller to the chain selector - this is now your on/off

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:39 pm

edit: nevermindddd

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:52 pm

why did you remove it? it gave me a few ideas...

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:25 pm

ian_halsall wrote:why did you remove it? it gave me a few ideas...
I removed it because I didn't think it was relevant to your question. Sorry!

Here it is again:

It's an emulation of the looping controls on the Novation Dicer.
There are 4 BRs in this rack. Each is set to a different repeat length.
Basically you activate the on/off for whichever BR, and it loops the beat to the respective length (1/2 bar, 1/4 bar, 1/8 bar, 1/16 bar respectively). The on/off of each BR is mapped to macro controls to make it a little easier to see what's going on, nothing complicated.

Download it here: http://www.fakecomputermusic.com/etc/Dicer.adg

(I'm building a custom MIDI controller for my set. If you wanna see it in progress, go here. I'll upload all the racks as the project comes together: http://www.hacktheplanetfcm.com/)

biologik

Post by biologik » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:16 am

why do you want to use the BR? If you're just looking to loop 1 bar maybe have a look at the Looper effect...