What should I get rid of (uninstalling Intro and Installing Standard!)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gallagherf

What should I get rid of (uninstalling Intro and Installing Standard!)

Post by gallagherf » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:32 pm

Hey dear community,

So I desinstalled Intro and installed Standard but wanna keep my User libraries and Plug Ins..

Now I deinstalled Ableton Intro and in the description on the website it says I need to search for even more leftovers ( sth like: " \Benutzer\[Benutzername]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\ ; \Benutzer\[Benutzername]\AppData\Local\Ableton\ ") from Intro and delete them..

Im 1.) not sure what kind of leftovers these are? What do they do? :'D

and 2.) if only ppl should delete them who get rid of Ableton completely? (But I have Standard now! <3) As in... are these trash leftovers that I should search (and if yes where are they :'D ?) and delete or should I keep?

Im not sure if this is understandable :'D ?

Sorry for the confusion

Trying to survive in this fairly complicated tech jungle XXX <3

ark

Re: What should I get rid of (uninstalling Intro and Installing Standard!)

Post by ark » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:46 pm

Ableton Live leaves two kinds of folders around in your AppData folder:

1) \Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live <release number>
2) \Users\<you>\AppData\Local\Ableton\Live Database

Each folder with a name of the form (1) corresponds to a Live release and contains information about your license, what devices you have installed, your options, and so on. Each time you install and run a new version of Live, it automatically copies all the information from the most recent previous version.

Therefore, once you have a version of Live working to your satisfaction, you can delete all folders with names like (1) except for the most recent version.

There should be only one folder with a name of the form (2). However, this folder may contain a number of files. These are files that Live uses to keep track of where all of your samples, devices, etc. are. These files have names of the form Live-files-<number>.suffix, where each <number> corresponds to a release of Live.

It is safe to delete these files: When you do so, Live will rebuild them the next time you launch it. However, while it is doing so, you might not be able to find your files in Live's browser. Therefore, the most sensible strategy is probably to delete all but the most recent such file.

All of the preceding is optional: No harm will come from leaving these files around except that they occupy some amount of disk space.