thinkpad x230 successor

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
baseinstinct

thinkpad x230 successor

Post by baseinstinct » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:55 am

Hi
Looking for the best performance to price ratio at present for second hand computers. Reasonably happy with x230 (16 gig) performance so anything that doubles on that would be great - if GBP200.
Thinking of Thinkpad t480 or Dell XPS 9360 i7 7th or something similar.

Are such processors as 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-7560U, i.e. the U line any good? Does the boost work well without overheating and other issues?

Please share experiences.
Thx

yur2die4

Re: thinkpad x230 successor

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:14 pm

1. U’s were very not good in my experience.
2. That particular U looks older, 7000 line, from a pretty lackluster era well before a lot of recent advancements.

I don’t have any thinkpad advice. We’re the Lenovos sort of kind of a consumer version of IBM??

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:28 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. What was wrong? Turbo boost stability or thermal issues?
Will still clear of U-line. I knew they were a compromise but assumed the number of generations later this evened out.

Thinkpads are solid post-IBM, newer ones departing from the IBM ethos.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:38 pm

With the U’s, for one thing the overall performance benchmarks were a huge step down from the non- ‘ultra mobile’ CPUs.

I’ve seen a number of people get burned on laptops where they said ‘well, I got myself an i7’ and the performance was hit and miss. My friend got a decent amount of mileage out of his as long as he was careful what he loaded up. Another friend and many users noticed how it just sometimes was always trying to conserve power etc and had gaps and glitches in stability.

If you’re bouncing and freezing a lot and using and older version of Live it might be fine. But if you load more than 4 heavy plugins on current Live, you’ll be crying with frustration.

Edit: but it does seem some of the late model CPUs have been meeting people’s expectations for performance. If you can help it, I’d suggest seeking out something from this current era.