M4L device to view edit history/undo history - is this technically possible to create? Does this exist already?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
ba343

M4L device to view edit history/undo history - is this technically possible to create? Does this exist already?

Post by ba343 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:17 pm

One feature I'd love to see in Ableton is a way to see a list of all the edits you've made in a project.

I don't know the number of times I've come back to a project with a load of different versions, and not been sure exactly what changes I've made from set to set. After opening a project it would be great to be able to open a panel and see the most recent changes you made before you last saved it. Also, it would be great to be able to undo edits individually from a list rather than having to ctrl+Z multiple times until you got to the edit you wanted, although not sure if that is technically possible. A view-only list of edits would be the priority though.

Apparently Cubase (and Logic?) have this feature, and it has been requested a number of times:
viewtopic.php?t=246132
viewtopic.php?t=214804
viewtopic.php?t=166931

My question is: would it be technically possible to build an M4L device that can do this? My knowledge of M4L isn't great, so if people who know how it works would be able to shine light on if it would actually be possible to make, I might see if I can create it. And if this already exists let me know!

Cheers!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: M4L device to view edit history/undo history - is this technically possible to create? Does this exist already?

Post by [jur] » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:23 pm

ba343 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:17 pm
My question is: would it be technically possible to build an M4L device that can do this?
Not with the current LOM state, and I wouldn't hold my breath for this to be possible in the future as it wouldn't have any other purpose I can think of except for what you described.
Ableton Forum Moderator

ba343

Re: M4L device to view edit history/undo history - is this technically possible to create? Does this exist already?

Post by ba343 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:05 pm

Thanks for the response, apologies for the delayed reply!

Do you think the only chance of this being implemented is for Ableton to have it as a stock feature? If so I might put in a post on the feature wishlist page. Or would that be difficult to implement even then?

Separately, if anyone can think of a way to do a workaround to make this work in an M4L device, do let me know. For example, is there a way to view each "undo opportunity" that you can see in the Edit menu - as shown here Image - https://imgur.com/a/xrhrbKv - and then have an M4L device that can list every one of these. And then if possible see which track this edit happened on. Or something like that.

Cheers.