Support for all MIDI controllers?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Should Ableton make a big effort to support as many MIDI controllers as possible?

YES! YES! YES!
83%
NO!
5%
MEH, Who cares?
12%

Total votes: 105

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:15 pm

Spiralgroove wrote:live can already midi learn any controller regardless of brand, whats the big deal?
as long as you dont change the cc assignments internally everything should line up...right?
No, you have to reassign the MIDI to every old song, and every controller in every old song. To you it might not be a big deal, but to me. :?

Hoffman, you KNOW which way I voted on this!

I've gotten the User remote script function to map the first 8 volume sliders, and ONE, rotary encoder.... no master volume, no banks..... :evil:

On the plus side I got FF RW, play, and record to work! Sill, plinking around like this is maddening. :twisted:

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:20 pm

wilxon wrote:This would also be especially useful to people who have made their own controllers, like Robert Henke & Sasha.
word

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:36 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Spiralgroove wrote:brand of controller shouldnt even be an issue
you should pull up the interface and it says
"ok i detect X controllers is that correct Y or N"
"does your controller have X feature? press it now"
or something to that effect...
"ok done your keyboard is now automapped, save profile as______"
followed by

"click here to render your hit trance track to disc" at which point you won't need a controller, just Live, a mouse and a writable CD.

The problem as I heard it described by the Abes while pinching a loaf in their bathroom (very clean btw) was that windows detects USB devices when an application starts up, so Live can't predict what devices would be connected at any given time. That's why you have to reset the devices in the midi preferences. What the Mac excuse is, I have no idea, I ripped a fart and Henke had to leave the bathroom to get a sampling mic, Gerhard just washed his hands and left.
This should not go unrecognized as being particularly funny. :)

So maybe you set the controller as a MIDI in, and then set something else to 'detect for automap' and press a button on the controller to let Live know it's there, at which point it does something along the lines of what s-groove describes.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:20 pm

Bump.

Don't want this topic to be forgotten ;)

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:26 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Bump.

What topic? :wink:
Drums

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:02 pm

Cryptic UK wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Bump.

What topic? :wink:
The topic of us being underrated customers compared to those who own mackie or novation remote controllers ;)
And even those maps are far from perfect...

I dunno about you guys... But i want to control Live..ehm... Live!

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:27 pm

The trouble with advanced MIDI setups is that after a while your music time becomes fucking-about-with-MIDI time.

Automap is undoubtedly a good idea but does anyone ever get the impression that flawed products are being sold? I mean - what's the point of putting short sliders and rotary pots on a controller with automap LCDs on it Novation? Everything should be encoders. We know it and they know it. Next product - something with more fucking encoders on it you betcha. It pisses me off.
Shimano do the same shit with bike parts. Flogged us cantilever brakes for ten years before..oh wait....what's this revolutionary idea?....V-brakes! Patent propelled consumer hamstrung capitalist bullshit attitude is what it is. Make the right product now, fuckers.

And don't get me started about Mackie. Never has a company less deserved it's reputation, and sold such wildly overpriced products on the basis of such dishonest marketing. And no, your manuals are not funny. Bastards. Shit gear, doesn't last, bad software, C4 commander is worse than even NI's barely tested attempts at pro-audio software. Intakt has NEVER worked properly and has the most opaque user interface and indecipherable manual of any shitty piece of software I ever bought. Waste of money.

ms

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:55 pm

hoffman2k wrote:I dunno about you guys... But i want to control Live..ehm... Live!
Yeah me too...The whole program should be liberated from mouse/keyboard control. More control can't be a bad thing. I'd like it anyway.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:40 pm

bump

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:48 pm

man this thread just keeps bumping along......

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:47 pm

Macrostructure wrote:Make the right product now, fuckers.
Just had to quote this. :)

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:07 am

Ableton should make furry dice. The nice n easy nice n squeezy ones. Im sure their programmers could get that right and its hard to blow smoke up the customers arse making furry dice.
HA HA HA :twisted:

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:04 am

ill have some of that.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:19 pm

bump it up homeboy

robin

Post by robin » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:01 pm