Use tap-button to beatmatch Live to a live band?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PanJan77

Use tap-button to beatmatch Live to a live band?

Post by PanJan77 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:59 pm

Hi!

Can anybody do this?

I know they are some additional software for this, (like InTime). But is it possible without them (and the necessary Midi triggers/transmitters)?

In that case you could use Live with any live band, just come on the stage and jam with Live, like with any other musical instrument?

I've been trying to do so, but I wasn't really successfull, sometimes i can do it, but it's not reliable..

.J.

PS: Or is there other way to do it purely with Live?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:11 pm

you can totally do it without extra software - you just need musicians that can *listen* to what's coming from you. Often drummers are used to being the tempo-chiefs, and they might feel a bit odd at first, so it could take some practice.
The key here is that you shouldn't be tapping away at the tempo all nigth, the drummer should say start at his or her own pace, then you fall in, and then the drummer can lock to your tempo, provided that your signal is loud enough.
I got myself a headphone preamp to supply drummers with the noise to keep their focus ;) Works really well.
Also, the single-tap function on the tap-tempo button is awesome - it doesn't change the tempo, but it moves the downbeat to the point when you tapped - it's killer for resyncing to an occasionally sloppy band, tape loop or whatever.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:16 pm

yes, i did it on my own, and experienced the musician side in a couple of band also.

to me depends on the band that you are playing with. specialy the timing of the drummer and bass player has to be very solid(but every good musician should have a rock solid timing)

also depend on the stuff that you play with live, like it's easyer if you play some ritmical part, and the other musicain can adapt to your time. anyway retap several time like evey 8 or 16 bar to have a better time with a band, and do not play to many part from the laptop, consider yourself like a regular guy with 2 hands(and two feet), not like a orkestra.

PanJan77

Post by PanJan77 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:32 pm

Thanx for such fast replies!

Machinate, thanx for the single-tap function, I didn't got that one...
BTW: What are you sending to the drummers headphones, your acctual loops/samples or a click-metronome?

I want to play mostly non-rhytmical loops coming from Live to play with a very rhytmical band , so it might be even a bit easier..? :wink:

Thanx again
.J.

Marquis

Post by Marquis » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:24 am

so, how frequently do you tap/click the "tap" button to get this synching going? I've tried it, but was clicking every beat. My results were wildly varied, and I consider myself to have pretty decent timing.

Like how can tapping on the tap button cause ranges from 70.x to 130.x when target tempo is somwhere aropund 125? There's no way I'm tapping that badly out of time...

Do you click on the 1st beat of a bar, or every 1 and 3 beat, or what?

Machineate - what do you mean by single tap theory? When do you single tap?

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:59 am

Tap on every beat. As long as your timing is good, Live should pick up the tempo pretty quickly.

Alternatively, instead of a musician, why not let the drummer generate the tempo? Give him a simple MIDI drum pad, or stick a trigger on one of his drums, or give him a pedal to tap. Most MIDI controllers have an input for a foot control. They're really cheap. The drummer can tap out the tempo, then everyone can follow. He may need a click to drum to once he's set the tempo, unless Live is generating a beat through the PA or monitor he can follow.

lummux

Post by lummux » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:02 pm

hambone1 wrote:
Alternatively, instead of a musician, why not let the drummer generate the tempo? Give him a simple MIDI drum pad, or stick a trigger on one of his drums, or give him a pedal to tap. Most MIDI controllers have an input for a foot control. They're really cheap. The drummer can tap out the tempo, then everyone can follow. He may need a click to drum to once he's set the tempo, unless Live is generating a beat through the PA or monitor he can follow.
I do this as a drummer, the biggest difficulty is the fact that you need to dedicate one limb to the function for tap tempo. I've found it tricky, but once you get it, it works. However, all I do is use it once at the start of a particular song. The guitarist starts the song, and I tap the tempo out on the last bar to trigger a synth clip in time. Then I just play along (no loops). Haven't yet tried it mid song.

PanJan77

Post by PanJan77 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:52 pm

Marquis wrote:

Machineate - what do you mean by single tap theory? When do you single tap?
Single tap should work the way that you can tap just once at a time, eg. when you feel that something goes out of sync. On the first downbeat of a bar. I haven't tryied it yet, but should be this..

My other question is, if taping the tempo is subject to the quantization setup?
If it is, what's the best setup then, 1bar?

.J.