All times are UTC

Post subject: Seriously Need Help Re-Creating This Drum Sound
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:10 pm 

https://youtu.be/W_pGHniZWrY?t=35s

It's the kind of bassy snare with violent reverb, with maybe some distortion. Any help is appreciated. Also, just in case it isn't clear which drum I'm talking about, it's the second hit from the time stamp. I've tried everything and I can't seem to figure it out :/

Post subject: Re: Seriously Need Help Re-Creating This Drum Sound
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:39 pm 

PaleEmotionless wrote:

It's the kind of bassy snare with violent reverb, with maybe some distortion. Any help is appreciated. Also, just in case it isn't clear which drum I'm talking about, it's the second hit from the time stamp. I've tried everything and I can't seem to figure it out :/

is says "video not available"

is it blood honey from m. manson?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:58 pm 

spanktron wrote:
PaleEmotionless wrote:

Yes!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:21 pm 

PaleEmotionless wrote:
spanktron wrote:
PaleEmotionless wrote:

Yes!

Can you clarify "violent" reverb? and "bassy" ? cause it does not sound that bassy to me...
1) Have you tried isolating a sample of the snare in order to study it further?
2) Is there an instrumental version of the track?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:30 pm 

Btw it sounds to me as if the snare is layered at parts when the track gets louder in order to give more impact.

To me it sounds like he is playing (or the producer layered one) a cymbal simultaneously with the snare. I don`t hear any distortion. Nore do i hear lot`s of reverb

It`s basically the snare from second 28 but louder and with a cymbal on top. Also i can`t distinguish 100% but it almost sounds as if he is playing the snare over the Kickdrum hit ( a bit like in disco and house music where you have the clap over the kick so it sounds thicker than it actually is) .

So my idea where i would start is

Take a well recorded acoustic snare, find a similar crash cymbal (metal drum sets have nice biting ones) and experiment with layering. Instead of the kick you can also go for a low tom

you will have to tweak it a lot but you should get there. I also sounds that thick because there is a lot of subbass that thickens everything in a "glue" way.

But that is only my 3 cents. I am no expert and i mos def am not the best producer. I am average at best. so maybe look for production tutorials for metal drums or something like that