Trying to make a pre gated delay, ideas?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
McAnix

Trying to make a pre gated delay, ideas?

Post by McAnix » Thu May 24, 2018 4:04 pm

So I have an auto pan with phase at zero and shape at 100%, basically acting as a synced gate. Lets Say I have it set to 1/16th. Then after that I have echo also set to 16ths (not doted). So the audio gets gated before the delay, perfect, that's what I want.

Now the problem is, I want to map the time of the auto pan and the time of the delay to a macro but auto pan includes triplets in it's subdivision.

Second issue, I want to set the auto pan to hertz and the delay to milliseconds. Okay so I set the min range of AP to 500 hz and it's max to 8000hz. Then I set echo's min and max 125 ms to 2 s then invert them. When I'm at the min or max values the gate is in sync but everything in between slowly phases out. Eg at 4000 hz I should be at 250 ms seconds but it's 318 ms.

What did I miss? Is it something to do with the macro's subdivision? Is there a better way?

Thanks.

pottering

Re: Trying to make a pre gated delay, ideas?

Post by pottering » Thu May 24, 2018 10:36 pm

I think the Macros default to the usual 128 MIDI values (0 to 127), you can shift+drag to get finer values.

Also Hz is frequency and ms is time length, did you account for that? Seems hard.
♥♥♥

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Fri May 25, 2018 7:41 am

pottering wrote:I think the Macros default to the usual 128 MIDI values (0 to 127), you can shift+drag to get finer values.

Also Hz is frequency and ms is time length, did you account for that? Seems hard.
Its actually easy, you just need to figure out the length of one cycle in milliseconds. The hard part is getting the ms and hz to divide into 128 values. The issue isn't getting finer resolution, it's getting the values the same at every position, I get it right at the min and max values but in between is the problem.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri May 25, 2018 9:24 am

Due to the difference between the divisions on the two effects I'd probably try a different method. You don't mention any requirement for fluid time transitions. It's several discrete division.

How many time divisions do you actuall require? 16th, 8th, 6th, 5th, 1/4. ?

I'd make a chain for each and select between them with the chain selector. The CPU load on these effects is very low.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Fri May 25, 2018 11:40 am

How many time divisions do you actuall require? 16th, 8th, 6th, 5th, 1/4. ?

I'd make a chain for each and select between them with the chain selector. The CPU load on these effects is very low.
Did think of that for the note divisions, will give it a go, like you said the CPU load won't be high and it will give me exactly what I want. It's just with the hz and ms that I would like figure out the math for, if it's at all possible. Not exactly sure what you mean by fluid but I don't think that is necessary. I do like the sound of the delay getting pitched and all that, basically it doesn't need to sound like there's a gate before the echo, I'm just trying to decrease the amount of info going in.

What the gate before the echo does for me is make the delay a little less muddy, and has a nice sound, I think. It's subtle but I dig it.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri May 25, 2018 1:02 pm

by "fluid time transitions" I meant the sound of repitching which is often heard when moving between delay speeds.
On Ableton delay devices this often requires the activation of the 'repitch' contextual menu item.

It doesn't seem like you need that particular sound of delay speed transitions, only that you need discrete selectable gated delay speeds.

As far as mapping hz/ms . If you are keeping the Autopan and the Delay on Sync mode then all that calculation is done for you.

so you could make a chain where Autopan is set to Rate=16 and SimpleDelay is set to Sync Time = 1.
Then another chain where Autopan is set to Rate= 1/6 and Simple Delay is set to Sync Time = 3.
etc.